Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

This should only ever be a problem for people who literally live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to have extra food. I'm not exactly loaded, and I always have enough food for 2-3 days if there's an emergency and I can't get out.

If I were confined to my home, I'd have about enough food for two days right now. Without power, one day.

I need to go shopping. I am nearly out of tofu jerky.

Edited by Eleven

Mods that have no idea what day it is.

Yeah, those other two are real slakers.

This should only ever be a problem for people who literally live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to have extra food. I'm not exactly loaded, and I always have enough food for 2-3 days if there's an emergency and I can't get out.

Did I just enter the echo chamber?

Did I just enter the echo chamber?

My post is so good it deserves to be read twice!

If I were confined to my home, I'd have about enough food for two days right now. Without power, one day.

Yea, I certainly wouldn't be eating gourmet or anything. But I always let things like cereal and bread overlap shopping so I'm not totally out. Plus I keep some canned veggies and soup on hand (gas stove ftw).

You're assuming your power doesn't go out.

What I hate is when the forecasters call for such a storm and the grocery stores are MOBBED the day & night before...as if it's the day before Thanksgiving or Christmas. Almost every store in this area runs out of bread, milk, and beer the day before a predicted big storm. At least one meteorologist had the sense to tell everyone to relax and only go to the store if you're almost out of the essentials, but the media loves to scare everyone around here into thinking this is the beginning of the apocalypse.

The level of panic you see in NY can't come close to what happens here. I'm a little used to it now after being here for 10 years, but people truly go insane at just the hint of some bad winter weather heading our way.

Nice! :lol:

Speaking of alternate forms of jerky, my wife came home with some salmon jerky from trader joes the other day. It seemed like a nice gesture at first since I like salmon and I like regular jerky, but now I think that she may have been trying to poison me. Wretched, nasty, vomit inducing stuff. :sick:

The level of panic you see in NY can't come close to what happens here. I'm a little used to it now after being here for 10 years, but people truly go insane at just the hint of some bad winter weather heading our way.

OMG RIGHT!

We had 40% chance of freezing rain and they talked about closing campus. Co-workers discussed going to the store and getting 1 weeks worth of groceries and water. It is absolutely hilarious. They kept saying Beer, Eggs, Bread, and Milk you wont be able to get. I was like really people? really?

God forbid we get snow, they call 8" a snowpocalypse...

Edited by LGR4GM

OMG RIGHT!

We had 40% chance of freezing rain and they talked about closing campus. Co-workers discussed going to the store and getting 1 weeks worth of groceries and water. It is absolutely hilarious. They kept saying Beer, Eggs, Bread, and Milk you wont be able to get. I was like really people? really?

Let's hear it for Beer and French Toast!!!

OMG RIGHT!

With 8-9" of snow in a city like Athens, GA I can definitely understand it causing some major problems. They don't have the equipment and infrastructure to properly deal with a weather event like that.

It's the panic driven nonsense that can be avoided. About 7 or 8 years ago here in Raleigh they were calling for some snow, maybe an inch or two. So naturally everyone panicked and headed for home at around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. And I mean nearly everyone, and all at roughly the same time. What ensued was a traffic nightmare for the ages. All because of what ultimately amounted to under an inch of snowfall and people panicking. You see with the traffic jams all around and a little bit of snow falling on untreated roadways, that snow turned to ice very quickly with idling cars sitting still. People sat in their cars four hours, overnight in some cases, a lot of children never made it home from school on the bus that night and ended up staying in shelters. People I work with who left in the initial panic and got about a mile down the road in three hours, ended up coming back and sleeping at their desks. They told me that I was crazy when I headed out the door for home at 4:30, but I took the back roads, drove at a prudent speed and wouldn't you know it I actually made it home in an hour and a half.

So now, because of that event there is still plenty of pancic, but when snow is forecasted they just shut everything down before it even gets here. Idiots.

Speaking of alternate forms of jerky, my wife came home with some salmon jerky from trader joes the other day. It seemed like a nice gesture at first since I like salmon and I like regular jerky, but now I think that she may have been trying to poison me. Wretched, nasty, vomit inducing stuff. :sick:

I grabbed a bag of bacon jerky last week on my way up to Buffalo. Before opening it, I told myself I needed to temper my expectations, it's not going to be as good as bacon + jerky. I was wrong. It's bacon, but shelf-stable and doesn't require the fridge after opening. I just found my new favourite camping food.

As for food, I probably have 2-3 weeks of food if I had to stretch it. I'd be eating a lot of rice and other grains, but I could make significant amount of pizza dough, lentils, rice, and pasta after that.[0] Then I'd get into the MREs I have in the closet that didn't get used on an aborted camping trip. I only have a case+ of beer though, but lots of liquor.

[0] Hot water from my camp stove, charcoal grill, or gasoline (if I really had to).

With 8-9" of snow in a city like Athens, GA I can definitely understand it causing some major problems. They don't have the equipment and infrastructure to properly deal with a weather event like that.

It's the panic driven nonsense that can be avoided. About 7 or 8 years ago here in Raleigh they were calling for some snow, maybe an inch or two. So naturally everyone panicked and headed for home at around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. And I mean nearly everyone, and all at roughly the same time. What ensued was a traffic nightmare for the ages. All because of what ultimately amounted to under an inch of snowfall and people panicking. You see with the traffic jams all around and a little bit of snow falling on untreated roadways, that snow turned to ice very quickly with idling cars sitting still. People sat in their cars four hours, overnight in some cases, a lot of children never made it home from school on the bus that night and ended up staying in shelters. People I work with who left in the initial panic and got about a mile down the road in three hours, ended up coming back and sleeping at their desks. They told me that I was crazy when I headed out the door for home at 4:30, but I took the back roads, drove at a prudent speed and wouldn't you know it I actually made it home in an hour and a half.

So now, because of that event there is still plenty of pancic, but when snow is forecasted they just shut everything down before it even gets here. Idiots.

Yup thats the issue, they don't do anything to the roads and ppl cant drive. I drove through the front that came through last week and flooded I75 and parts of I285. Was it bad yes. But I slowed down put on my flashers and maintained speed. When I hydroplaned I let off the gas.

It just ammuses me every time we may have been weather my co workers ask me all these stupid questions. My favorite was when they said they lost power once for 2 whole days and they wondered if I was prepared for such an event... I was like let me tell you about the Thunderpocalypse or the October Storm that we had in Buffalo. 5 days no power and we were fine.

WHich brings me to my complaint. THe asshats in washington barely have signed or distributed any aid for ppl effected by Hurricane Sandy and one of the major opponents is a guy who is the congressman of Miss. Palazzo who was begging to get money for Katrina this past summer. Stewart perfectly framed what I believe 90% of this country is thinking.

http://www.thedailys...n-the-hurricane

Edited by LGR4GM

Dammit; the Sabres finally played a good game (and won), and I missed it! At least it was for something good (snowboarding).

Having the kind of week where I can't make a dent in my already overwhelming workload because people won't leave me the F alone for a day! Tired of wasting my time helping everyone else and just falling further behind on my own projects. I've been in for 8-10 hours each of the last three Saturdays and at least a few hours two of the last three Sundays just to keep my head above water. It's times like this that I wish I weren't salaried...

Cancer giving someone 6-8 months when you're planning a wedding that is 6 months away. The whole thing just plain sucks.

Oh dear God in heaven, please tell us that this isn't your fiancee. That would be horrible. I mean ... it's horrible for whomever, but finding out just after getting engaged?

Thoughts, prayers, and every goodness imagineable for you, man.

Oh dear God in heaven, please tell us that this isn't your fiancee. That would be horrible. I mean ... it's horrible for whomever, but finding out just after getting engaged?

Thoughts, prayers, and every goodness imagineable for you, man.

Her father. We're still in that stage of shock since we just found out monday. None of us have any clue where to go with all the planning now. Do you postpone, do you move it up, do you not change a thing? I don't think there is a right answer here, but the whole thing is just going to be very difficult with that cloud hovering over us.

And in terms of this board, I have no clue what is going on in the NHL. I love the game, but at this point I don't have the time or the energy to keep up with whatever the "let's argue about this" topic of the day is.

Edited by shrader

Her father. We're still in that stage of shock since we just found out monday. None of us have any clue where to go with all the planning now. Do you postpone, do you move it up, do you not change a thing? I don't think there is a right answer here, but the whole thing is just going to be very difficult with that cloud hovering over us.

And in terms of this board, I have no clue what is going on in the NHL. I love the game, but at this point I don't have the time or the energy to keep up with whatever the "let's argue about this" topic of the day is.

If I may offer my thoughts:

He's her dad. It's every dad's dream to see their daughter get married to a good guy. I've seen how aggressive cancer can be. 6-8 months? I sure hope so. My dad had mandibular cancer, and was told on a Thursday that he had a couple of months left. The next day, we were told a couple of weeks. Saturday morning, days; Saturday night, hours. He died that Sunday.

If it were me, I would try to move it up by at least a couple of months. I know that's going to add a sh**-ton of stress on you guys, but this is his little girl. He put in the decades of love, devotion, and time. He's "earned the right" to see his daughter get married, for lack of a better phrase.

If it's within your means and at all feasible, that's what I would try to do. Maybe it's not feasible. I don't know you personally, obviously, but I read your posts on here. You think things through, and you don't post inflammatory comments. You seem pretty level-headed. You and your fiancee will make the call that you feel will best fit this whole nightmare of a situation.

I'm sorry, man.

Edited by Chris_in_UT

Shrader,

So sorry for your situation. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Nothing like a good dose of heartache to bring us all back to reality and to what is really important.

ERW

Thoughts are with you and your family. No right answer to this, just what's right for those involved. I hope the process is smooth and that you have a wonderful wedding day regardless of the choice.

Well I was going to complain about being stuck in wintery northern Wisconsin for two weeks and missing valentines day and being home with my lady, but it all seems silly hearing about Shrader's complaint. I'm sorry to hear about that.

To echo Chris_in_UT's thoughts, you should do everything in your power to let him see his daughter get married. It will also give him something to look forward to that will certainly give purpose to the cancer fight, which while small could be a nice silver lining.

Ooof....sorry man.

Do what you guys feel is right. Depending on the type it is, and what types of treatments or invasive procedures involved, it really is a question mark.

How important is a big wedding to you guys? Now if it were me....and i know it isn't....I would seriously think about possibly shotgunning this thing with only the closest of the close to you. Maybe combine a wedding/honeymoon and do a destination thing depending on how much he can tolerate. You can always keep the original date and invite everyone for more of a celebration/party....maybe renew the vows and keep it simple....but if you feel it, why not turn it into a positive and sort of bucket list event? If you stay as is it will be looming over you guys. Girls get goofy and emotional enough as it is.....if you can try and turn this into a positive in some regard, it may keep everyone sane.

Good luck.

How important is a big wedding to you guys? Now if it were me....and i know it isn't....I would seriously think about possibly shotgunning this thing with only the closest of the close to you. Maybe combine a wedding/honeymoon and do a destination thing depending on how much he can tolerate. You can always keep the original date and invite everyone for more of a celebration/party....maybe renew the vows and keep it simple....but if you feel it, why not turn it into a positive and sort of bucket list event? If you stay as is it will be looming over you guys. Girls get goofy and emotional enough as it is.....if you can try and turn this into a positive in some regard, it may keep everyone sane.

shrader: really sorry to hear it. I hope things work out for the best.

I'll second the small wedding, mostly because it's what I'm doing. There were 18 people at my wedding (parents, grandparents, siblings, and a few close friends (3 each)). It was a really cool, easy way to do things. My wife's Dad was beaming the entire time. It was a bit easier for us though, being my wife's second marriage and neither of us being religious. Not sure of those things apply to you.

Well I was going to complain about being stuck in wintery northern Wisconsin for two weeks and missing valentines day and being home with my lady, but it all seems silly hearing about Shrader's complaint. I'm sorry to hear about that.

It's northern Wisconsin, complain away!