Complaint Thursdays

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

LabattBlue

After my mom finished her Ph.D at Albany Med, she went to work at a lab at Cornell, and they pulled the same sh!t saying that the head of the lab had no right to negotiate with her as well. I thought it was dumb. She ended up going to industry after a few years and out of academic labs. Pay was slightly better for her anyways.

As for me, I was given a project here at work: to propose all the necessary items for the new conference room (projector, screen, power and internet at the table, etc), since the person who had been working on it just stopped. well, it took him 2 weeks and an email from the president of the company to email me all the previous info he had, and to tell me he already ordered a projector (crappy one too). So now I'm working around/fixing his mess, and trying not to snap on him for being a complete d!ck about everything. and to make matters better, the president asked me to move up my timetable, and have the proposal to him by Monday...I haven't even gotten all the quotes back yet :doh:

What items haven't you gotten quotes back about? I bet you could just fudge some numbers and then adjust them later.

We're pretty sure that he's part cat as he has been near death at least 4 times including this past weekend when my parents were watching the house so the wife and I could get out for the anniversary and he got hit by a car. It must have been an SUV or large truck, because the vehicle drove over him and he walked away with a scratch near his eye. Had the neighbor not witnessed it, we'd've never known he had any issue but would have been curious about the scratch.

That's another one. If you hit someone's pet, have the common decency to stop and see if the animal is ok/can be helped.

What items haven't you gotten quotes back about? I bet you could just fudge some numbers and then adjust them later.

the first guy ordered a table as the first thing he did...but he didn't get one with the flip up power/internet hookups (think Xerox Aud in KGCOE at RIT). So I'm trying to get some to install myself, and am waiting to get the discounted prices (the prices they don't advertise), and I really can't afford to go into this proposal high on prices. I'm also waiting on the price for a guy to come in and take a gas line out of a wall. He is supposed to come in today to look at it. Dunno what the previous building owners used it for, but the gas line comes up the wall and sticks out like 8". after my last post though, I got my quote for price and delivery for a special whiteboard (custom size to fit the wall, with sliding panels), so I'm one step closer.

1. Sorry to hear read it. Our dog'll be 17 very soon and not only does he whizz in his sleep, if we don't get him outside (when awake) every 3 or so hours, he's taken to 'crop dusting' in the basement. So far, a 15' line seems to be his record. :censored:

We're pretty sure that he's part cat as he has been near death at least 4 times including this past weekend when my parents were watching the house so the wife and I could get out for the anniversary and he got hit by a car. It must have been an SUV or large truck, because the vehicle drove over him and he walked away with a scratch near his eye. Had the neighbor not witnessed it, we'd've never known he had any issue but would have been curious about the scratch.

2. Sorry to hear read about that one as well. Good luck with getting that one resolved. One bit of advice is: if the resolution to the pissing match between your soon to be boss and HR/the rest of the department is creating a new title / job for you - be VERY leery. It's a great way to have hidden gremlins working against you. HR/administrative types are a bit pedantic and if their lines are crossed they'll become pernicious in industry; my experience has been that they're far worse in academia.

lol on the 'crop dusting' -- yeah, I've experienced that as well. He's actually never peed in his sleep but he does poop, which is still gross but at least doesn't require full stripping of the bed. And wow, your dog sounds like Bruce Willis' character from Unbreakable!

As for the job, both my (soon-to-be) boss and I are frustrated but have done all we can as far as getting it fixed. A lot of it is an unfortunate by-product of having exactly zero competing institutions within a 1.5 hour radius. He's looking for ways to try and supplement my salary down the line, but I'm just glad I was already planning on leaving this place within the next year or two when the bf gets a job elsewhere.

Tell 'em you'll be in a hockey rink for the next x hours. They are known to be notoriously bad for cell phone reception.

The fact they probably don't know what one is based on where you claim to be from is a bonus. ;)

Used to be able to zip out at lunch for a little stick time. Unfortunately most my co-workers are of the Northern transplant variety and know very well what a rink is, as a lot of their kids play....although to your poit, I have used the "tournament weekend and will be on the ice a lot" excuse before.

I got lit up Kaleta-style playing in a non-checking C2 hockey league last night. I think my team is tied for 2nd, and we were playing the last place team. They always get blown out and the majority of the guys are new to playing. It was 0-0 just 4 minutes in, and I picked up a loose puck down by the goal line, brought it up along the boards and sent a break out pass to my winger (I play defense). Well, this guy is chasing after me full speed and a good 3 seconds after I make the pass he just drills me from the side. It was right in front of the ref, so he called him for interference since I didn't have the puck anymore, but since it's a non-checking league he could have easily called the guy for checking or roughing or charging, as he skated right through me. The worst part was, after the play is blown dead, the guy starts flipping out, because he doesn't know why he got a penalty. I have no problem with physical play, lead my team in pealty minutes, and was 2nd in the league last season, but I just couldn't understand what this guy was thinking. He took a swing at me later after he hacked my goalie's glove after a save and I put my hand on his chest so he wouldn't come any closer to him. Later in the game I caught him with his head down had him lined up for a big open ice hit, but let him go. Today I'm regretting that more than the two point shots I ripped off the post last night.

lol on the 'crop dusting' -- yeah, I've experienced that as well. He's actually never peed in his sleep but he does poop, which is still gross but at least doesn't require full stripping of the bed. And wow, your dog sounds like Bruce Willis' character from Unbreakable!

As for the job, both my (soon-to-be) boss and I are frustrated but have done all we can as far as getting it fixed. A lot of it is an unfortunate by-product of having exactly zero competing institutions within a 1.5 hour radius. He's looking for ways to try and supplement my salary down the line, but I'm just glad I was already planning on leaving this place within the next year or two when the bf gets a job elsewhere.

UM :sick: I think it does require it

no. just the top comforter/quilt or whatever...maybe the second layer if it's bad. but you don't need to take the bottom sheet off, or that protective fabric thing that no one knows what it really does, but goes between the sheet and mattress anyways...much easier to wash just 1 MAYBE 2 blankets...then the whole shebang.

no. just the top comforter/quilt or whatever...maybe the second layer if it's bad. but you don't need to take the bottom sheet off, or that protective fabric thing that no one knows what it really does, but goes between the sheet and mattress anyways...much easier to wash just 1 MAYBE 2 blankets...then the whole shebang.

It's never that bad; I wake up as he's doing it so I just clean it right away and wash the blanket on top of the bed.

New complaint: my current boss never has her sh!t together, and it makes it hard for me to get my own work done. Last week we'd arranged to have a conference call today at 3pm, and this morning she e-mails us asking which number she's calling for our 1pm meeting. We e-mailed back around 9:30am to let her know and ask if she'd rather meet at 1pm than 3pm as we had scheduled, and she JUST wrote back saying 3pm. Except now I've already rearranged my day once and haven't started what I needed to start because I was trying to make sure I was free at 1pm. I can't wait to be done here, even if the new department is fubar.

I got lit up Kaleta-style playing in a non-checking C2 hockey league last night. I think my team is tied for 2nd, and we were playing the last place team. They always get blown out and the majority of the guys are new to playing. It was 0-0 just 4 minutes in, and I picked up a loose puck down by the goal line, brought it up along the boards and sent a break out pass to my winger (I play defense). Well, this guy is chasing after me full speed and a good 3 seconds after I make the pass he just drills me from the side. It was right in front of the ref, so he called him for interference since I didn't have the puck anymore, but since it's a non-checking league he could have easily called the guy for checking or roughing or charging, as he skated right through me. The worst part was, after the play is blown dead, the guy starts flipping out, because he doesn't know why he got a penalty. I have no problem with physical play, lead my team in pealty minutes, and was 2nd in the league last season, but I just couldn't understand what this guy was thinking. He took a swing at me later after he hacked my goalie's glove after a save and I put my hand on his chest so he wouldn't come any closer to him. Later in the game I caught him with his head down had him lined up for a big open ice hit, but let him go. Today I'm regretting that more than the two point shots I ripped off the post last night.

I hate that more than anything. It's pretty much the only way I know how to play but I always pass up on those hits because I'm not a scumbag. We're a bunch of guys who have long since missed out on living the dream (yeah, was never a remote possibility for anyone), so there's no reason to play that way. Still, there's a bunch of idiots who have to do it anyway. We had knee surgery inducing injuries from checks in back to back games last year, so I'm more than a bit negative about my league in general.

But yeah, I really want to light up certain people sometimes (including one ref) but I can't actually convince myself to do it.

And my "complaint" for the day. I just had my new phone delivered and I can't really test it out until around 8 tonight.

my new complaint: I went to Wegmans for lunch today (as I usually do a few times a week). I bought myself a slice of Pizza to go and a can of Arnold Palmer to come back to eat at my desk and get more work done. well, as I'm checking out, the woman behind the counter accidentally knocks the can of AP off the counter, and instinctively, I thrust my hand out to catch it. Well, she instinctively did the same...with an added lunge over the counter to try to snag it as well, but instead, ended up hitting me square in the nuts. I wanted so bad to ask her what I did to her to deserve that...but couldn't muster anything more than a "humph". I sheepishly took my change and limped back to my car.

This could be the start to a bad afternoon.

my new complaint: I went to Wegmans for lunch today (as I usually do a few times a week). I bought myself a slice of Pizza to go and a can of Arnold Palmer to come back to eat at my desk and get more work done. well, as I'm checking out, the woman behind the counter accidentally knocks the can of AP off the counter, and instinctively, I thrust my hand out to catch it. Well, she instinctively did the same...with an added lunge over the counter to try to snag it as well, but instead, ended up hitting me square in the nuts. I wanted so bad to ask her what I did to her to deserve that...but couldn't muster anything more than a "humph". I sheepishly took my change and limped back to my car.

So she tried to cop a feel and you're complaining? Your only complaint is that you wish you were able to pick up on their not so subtle advances sooner.

So she tried to cop a feel and you're complaining? Your only complaint is that you wish you were able to pick up on their not so subtle advances sooner.

:lol: you hit the nail on the head. I never realized open hand punches to the groin was an advance until today... :oops: ;)

i see shrader beat me to the punch (yes ... pun very much intended), but here goes anyway.

*ahem*

or it could have been the start to a great afternoon.

waka. waka. waka.

The winds out this way are insane. 102 MPH through one town just south of me. That's good enough for a Cat 2 hurricane. Trees down, road signs destroyed, roofs gone, about a dozen semi trucks littering the highway from being blown over on their side ... and it's not abating any time soon. It's supposed to be like this through late tonight. Google '"Centerville Utah" +winds" to read up on some of the extent of the damage.

Here's a link to one of the local news sites about the wind storm.

I hate that more than anything. It's pretty much the only way I know how to play but I always pass up on those hits because I'm not a scumbag. We're a bunch of guys who have long since missed out on living the dream (yeah, was never a remote possibility for anyone), so there's no reason to play that way. Still, there's a bunch of idiots who have to do it anyway. We had knee surgery inducing injuries from checks in back to back games last year, so I'm more than a bit negative about my league in general.

But yeah, I really want to light up certain people sometimes (including one ref) but I can't actually convince myself to do it.

And my "complaint" for the day. I just had my new phone delivered and I can't really test it out until around 8 tonight.

I find playing in the South that a lot of guys new to the game emulate what they see on TV...especially with the stickwork. They've never really been coached properly or play in a truly organized league. Funny thing is they're usually the first to blow-up mentally when it happens to them.

:lol: you hit the nail on the head. I never realized open hand punches to the groin was an advance until today... :oops: ;)

Details my friend, details. Was it the palm of the hand or the back of the hand? Was there any cupping?

I find playing in the South that a lot of guys new to the game emulate what they see on TV...especially with the stickwork. They've never really been coached properly or play in a truly organized league. Funny thing is they're usually the first to blow-up mentally when it happens to them.

And with me being in Boston, the Bruins actually emulate what they see in the local beer leagues. :D

I hear ya. As a team, we're all pretty laid back, and probably one of the least physical teams in the league (myself being the exception, but I never throw huge hits in a non-check league), but these guys are out there like they've got something to prove to the scouts in the stands. We won 6-2. I could have cleaned his clock, but instead I went for the poke check and took care of business.

yes +1000000