Before anyone jumps off a bridge...

nfreeman

I know, I know, we didn't get Orpik, Darcy is a wuss, Golisano is a cheapskate, our defense is soft, the roster is set in stone on July 2, we're going to stink again next year, etc.

One of the charges that has been levied against Darcy is that he's sat back while other teams have gotten better. But is that really true? Because when I look at the EC's playoff teams from last year, the only one that I think has gotten appreciably better is NJ. The rest have either been weakened a lot (Rangers, Pittsburgh, Ottawa), weakened a little (Washington, Philly), or treaded water to slightly improved (Boston, Montreal).

Here are the playoff teams from last year:

Montreal -- if they get Sundin, they will have improved substantially, but otherwise? They lost Streit and Ryder and added Tanguay, who was a washout in Calgary.

Ottawa -- they lost Redden (a bit overrated, and certainly overpaid by the Rangers, but still probably their best defenseman) and Commodore (who was a washout), and added Ruutu, a good 4th-line player. If you wanted to move them into the "weakened a little" category I wouldn't argue too much, but they certainly didn't get better.

Washington -- they finally made the playoffs after about 100 years and then immediately downgraded at goalie.

NJ -- they made a few strong additions, including Rolston, who I really wanted. (and Darcy may have wanted him too -- according to ESPN, 17 teams made firm offers for him). I expect them to compete for #1 in the East next year.

NYR -- they gave a 31-year old Redden, whose play is already in decline, a huge 6-year contract. They lost Avery and will almost certainly lose Jagr and probably Shanahan. Big step back.

Philly -- Added Metropolit but had to unload Umberger, who's better and younger.

Pittsburgh -- Lost Hossa, Malone and Roberts. Ouch.

Boston -- Added Ryder (who turned into a washout in Montreal), and lost Metropolit and Auld. Nothing major either way.

So, am I crazy, or are the neighbors not exactly leaving us in the dust?

ESPN has a pretty good summary of all the action. Check it out and see what you think.

Give Darcy, and, yes, Quinn and TG a bit of time before you write off next year. They did give us 2 awesome years before last summer's CF.

Go Sabres.

I know, I know, we didn't get Orpik, Darcy is a wuss, Golisano is a cheapskate, our defense is soft, the roster is set in stone on July 2, we're going to stink again next year, etc.

One of the charges that has been levied against Darcy is that he's sat back while other teams have gotten better. But is that really true? Because when I look at the EC's playoff teams from last year, the only one that I think has gotten appreciably better is NJ. The rest have either been weakened a lot (Rangers, Pittsburgh, Ottawa), weakened a little (Washington, Philly), or treaded water to slightly improved (Boston, Montreal).

Here are the playoff teams from last year:

Montreal -- if they get Sundin, they will have improved substantially, but otherwise? They lost Streit and Ryder and added Tanguay, who was a washout in Calgary.

Ottawa -- they lost Redden (a bit overrated, and certainly overpaid by the Rangers, but still probably their best defenseman) and Commodore (who was a washout), and added Ruutu, a good 4th-line player. If you wanted to move them into the "weakened a little" category I wouldn't argue too much, but they certainly didn't get better.

Washington -- they finally made the playoffs after about 100 years and then immediately downgraded at goalie.

NJ -- they made a few strong additions, including Rolston, who I really wanted. (and Darcy may have wanted him too -- according to ESPN, 17 teams made firm offers for him). I expect them to compete for #1 in the East next year.

NYR -- they gave a 31-year old Redden, whose play is already in decline, a huge 6-year contract. They lost Avery and will almost certainly lose Jagr and probably Shanahan. Big step back.

Philly -- Added Metropolit but had to unload Umberger, who's better and younger.

Pittsburgh -- Lost Hossa, Malone and Roberts. Ouch.

Boston -- Added Ryder (who turned into a washout in Montreal), and lost Metropolit and Auld. Nothing major either way.

So, am I crazy, or are the neighbors not exactly leaving us in the dust?

ESPN has a pretty good summary of all the action. Check it out and see what you think.

Give Darcy, and, yes, Quinn and TG a bit of time before you write off next year. They did give us 2 awesome years before last summer's CF.

Go Sabres.

A couple of points;

First, these teams were better then us, we ahve to catch them.

Montreal - Tanguay a major upgrade over Ryder. Streit replaced Souray and will be replaced by someone we have not heard of before and their power play will again be dominant.

Ottawa - they are a mess.

Washington - Huet came at the deadline and was good but not great. Theodore seemed to re-emerge last year but I couldn't argue a lot with you here.

NJ - added a lot of so so with a guy I really wanted. Good experiment to see if a bunch of very good beats a few superstars.

NYR - trade with Columbus helped, I think Redden could re discover himself, some of their youth will emerge this year, still probably not done. I would disagree a lot with you here.

Philly - Added some nice veteran depth. Did some of the things I was hoping for. Locked up Carter which was huge. Umberger was nothing till playoff series against Montreal.

Pittsburgh - still have Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Whitny, Gonchar, Fleury. What ouch?

Boston - worst contract of first day, lot of emerging youth

Again, Buffalo is the one chasing and I think Tampa is coming up fast. That said, I have stated over and over again its early.

When I stop to think about it, I can say to myself "be patient, they will make moves and they haven't made some of the stupid ones that other teams have already made." However, I am not a patient person by nature, so I find myself slipping into the "do something" thoughts. For example, giving Orpik a little more than what he got might not have been the smartest move, but it still would have felt good.

So, in short, I agree with you, but "wwwwaaaahhhh, I want my new Sabres now!!" post-1053-1215054333_thumbgif

I see where you're going with this, and I partly agree. But the kicker is that while we have the rest of the summer, so do those other teams, and for all the talk about "it takes two to sign a contract" (not your post, but been kicked around a couple times the last few days) it also takes at least two to trade.

I also wouldn't call Tanguay a washout with Calgary, either. He struggled this year - 58 pts in 78 games - but he did post 139 points in 159 games while a Flame.

And for TW - I'd definitely call his Caps' regular season stretch great. Huet was 11-2, 1.63, .936 and 2 SO in 13 regular season games down the stretch.

His playoff numbers weren't great, but they were better than Theodore's. I think they took a step back with Theodore.

I know, I know, we didn't get Orpik, Darcy is a wuss, Golisano is a cheapskate, our defense is ....

There is going to be quite a hangover for a lot of teams after this round of free agency.

On the other hand....

A lot of very good GM's pretty much sat tight with the free agents.

These teams were better then us, we have to catch them.

If you listen to DR and LQ they will tell you that while Objective 1A is to win games and constantly improve, Objective 1B says it must be done by operating under fiscal responsibility.

Basically...Unless we catch lighting in a bottle (Like we did when we lost to Cans and Sens)...we'll need to get used to the periods of inactivity during the free agency period. DR has said as much... They just can't compete when it comes to this market. Their self imposed value for players is far under that of other teams. The Sabres are playing by a different set of rules.

As fans we either need to accept that, or...well..thats not for me to say.

If you listen to DR and LQ they will tell you that while Objective 1A is to win games and constantly improve, Objective 1B says it must be done by operating under fiscal responsibility.

Basically...Unless we catch lighting in a bottle (Like we did when we lost to Cans and Sens)...we'll need to get used to the periods of inactivity during the free agency period. DR has said as much... They just can't compete when it comes to this market. Their self imposed value for players is far under that of other teams. The Sabres are playing by a different set of rules.

As fans we either need to accept that, or...well..thats not for me to say.

The Sabres can't compete in this market? Maybe they could if they had a GM who understood the "market". I knew the Sabres cause was lost when an hour before the FA period began Regier states he has no read on the market. Really? Again? Isn't that his job? How would anyone feel if the stock broker kept telling them "I have no read on this market". It's a frustrating bad joke.

I've defended Regier. But his inability to get things done when the franchise really needs him is disappointing and getting to the point of embarrassment. I can't continue to defend a man who refuses to help himself. In the face of adversity he rolls over and dies. He sat back all wide eyed and disorientated while some decent back goalies signed cheap. He panics and over pays for a crap goalie. The Sabres would be better off playing with an extra attacker than putting Lalime in.

I am so disgusted that I truly wish he would step down.

I've jumped off the bridge, but I have a parachute on. What can I say, that's the way I roll..

I'm disappointed but I'll still watch and I'll be just as involved in the day-to-day ups and downs as ever. I did not expect anything on free agent day, I hoped. I really didn't. And nothing really bothered me until Hossa signed with Detroit. It's about attitude. If Buffalo had just won the cup (stay with me here while I fantasize) you can believe that they would either have unloaded players or sat still. No way they would add the best UFA forward. Detroit has a 'tude. Not only do they get the best UFA forward, he agrees to a one year, market value contract. INCREDIBLE.

I'm disappointed.

I'm mostly disappointed in the fact that the FO seems to be content with the mediocrity of this last season and doesn't want to do anything about it. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence to the people who put their in the seats, eat the crappy food at the HSBC, and buy the jerseys and other swag in droves. World+dog knows the Sabres need to up their blueline, desperately, yet the FO sits and does nothing but spout more and more .

Why does one run a hockey team? The point of having a hockey team is to WIN THE #%^$#!ING STANLEY CUP. No if's, and's, or but's. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

The Sabres can't compete in this market? Maybe they could if they had a GM who understood the "market". I knew the Sabres cause was lost when an hour before the FA period began Regier states he has no read on the market. Really? Again? Isn't that his job? How would anyone feel if the stock broker kept telling them "I have no read on this market". It's a frustrating bad joke.

I've defended Regier. But his inability to get things done when the franchise really needs him is disappointing and getting to the point of embarrassment. I can't continue to defend a man who refuses to help himself. In the face of adversity he rolls over and dies. He sat back all wide eyed and disorientated while some decent back goalies signed cheap. He panics and over pays for a crap goalie. The Sabres would be better off playing with an extra attacker than putting Lalime in.

I've bashed DR in the past for that same inability, but I honestly believe its not him. DR gets his marching orders from LQ and TG. His superiors have set the boundaries. Don't you think if he was allowed to sign players and spend up to the cap like most teams he would? I agree with the things your saying, but you need to point that frustration to the right place.

DR has a different set of rules to play by then other GM's. Its as simple as that.

as per usual freeman, you're a voice of perspective and reason -- great post.

with the (l)east being what it is, we will be right in the thick of things -- far from an elite team, to be sure -- but i believe that we'll have enough to compete and play in the post-season.

I really do think that management understands what's wrong with this team. I really do.

I trust that they know we have too many incosistent forwards. Darcy's been trying to sell Max's @$$ the past two days in the press conference. I think Darcy knows that to create some competition, we've got to be able to get rid of some dead weight. And in order for us to be a player in an already slim UFA market, we would need to clear some room. I'm frustrated that it hasn't happened yet, but what team is going to give value for a streaky forward with a ~3M cap hit come July 1? What team is going to give us a top 4 defenseman, even in a package, that includes a talented player who's also a piece of glass. Do we really expect Chris Pronger coming back for our junk? No. I do trust that Darcy is fielding offers, or presenting offers for other teams. The fact that it hasn't happened yet, although it is frustrating, shouldn't be discouraging. We'll get a top 4 defenseman. And soon. But it's not gonna happen just because July 1 rolls around. Go Sabres.

I've taken a break from all this after the the SC finals and focused on some other more important life issues but I always will be a interested fan. I too did not expect them to do much but hope was springing eternal. :unsure:

I agree with pieces and parts of everyones summary's. It is frustrating hearing them talk about their own values for players which I agree with Bambam, they need to stop spouting that line becuase that does sound like a little birdie, CHEAP, CHEAP. :wallbash:

Then we see players that we all know could help this teams weaknesses sign for what I believe to be reasonable market amounts. (Rolston, Commodore and even Orpik was worth 3.75 in my book). Then there are the players we all have grown tired of watching/waiting on (...Max, Kalinin finally gone,... ). :blink:

I pretty much agree with nfreemans assessment I do not see the other ECF teams greatly improved and in some cases a few a little weaker and while we were behind them to begin with (didn't make the Playoffs) as TW states I don't see a great divide between them and us as we all know if you eliminate the long losing streaks or some of the 3rd period game lapses we could've been a 7th or 8th seed last year.

That said a sad reality is we are not in Detroits category even if we make the playoffs next year but then again right now looks like nobody is and taking the cups half full analogy of our dear friend/fan Millbank not as bad off as alot of other teams.

So there is time still for us to make a trade/deal to improve team (defense at least which we all agree is needed) and with a Healthy Guastad(nasty sports hernia thing he had last year) and a little more seasoning under some of the kids belts, a little more consistent production from the right players, a little better play from Miller, some luck to have key players stay healthy and playoffs here we come where anything can happen. :rolleyes:

First, these teams were better then us, we ahve to catch them.

NYR - trade with Columbus helped, I think Redden could re discover himself, some of their youth will emerge this year, still probably not done. I would disagree a lot with you here.

Pittsburgh - still have Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Whitny, Gonchar, Fleury. What ouch?

Again, Buffalo is the one chasing and I think Tampa is coming up fast. That said, I have stated over and over again its early.

I agree that we have to catch up, but (as you point out), I think Darcy understands this, there is plenty of time to do so, and Darcy's plan all along has not been to effect the catch-up as a big UFA player.

As for the Rangers and Pittsburgh, I really disagree. Jagr and Avery (and to a lesser degree Shanahan) are huge losses. Redden is a nice pickup, but he doesn't make up for the losses. And Pittsburgh is still good, but Hossa and Malone are big losses, and Roberts is a loss too (and I think they also lost LaRacque).

Holy mood swing Batman! Give them some time. You didn't really think they were going to make a big UFA splash, did you? It's never been the MO of this team to do so -- as you've pointed out many times yourself. And are you really hung up on Lalime vs the other recycled backups that signed elsewhere?

I really do think that management understands what's wrong with this team. I really do.

I trust that they know we have too many incosistent forwards. Darcy's been trying to sell Max's @$$ the past two days in the press conference. I think Darcy knows that to create some competition, we've got to be able to get rid of some dead weight. And in order for us to be a player in an already slim UFA market, we would need to clear some room. I'm frustrated that it hasn't happened yet, but what team is going to give value for a streaky forward with a ~3M cap hit come July 1? What team is going to give us a top 4 defenseman, even in a package, that includes a talented player who's also a piece of glass. Do we really expect Chris Pronger coming back for our junk? No. I do trust that Darcy is fielding offers, or presenting offers for other teams. The fact that it hasn't happened yet, although it is frustrating, shouldn't be discouraging. We'll get a top 4 defenseman. And soon. But it's not gonna happen just because July 1 rolls around. Go Sabres.

Good man.

I agree that we have to catch up, but (as you point out), I think Darcy understands this, there is plenty of time to do so, and Darcy's plan all along has not been to effect the catch-up as a big UFA player.

As for the Rangers and Pittsburgh, I really disagree. Jagr and Avery (and to a lesser degree Shanahan) are huge losses. Redden is a nice pickup, but he doesn't make up for the losses. And Pittsburgh is still good, but Hossa and Malone are big losses, and Roberts is a loss too (and I think they also lost LaRacque).

Holy mood swing Batman! Give them some time. You didn't really think they were going to make a big UFA splash, did you? It's never been the MO of this team to do so -- as you've pointed out many times yourself. And are you really hung up on Lalime vs the other recycled backups that signed elsewhere?

Good man.

Commadore and Orpik did not sign "big splash" contracts. The Sabres had a chance to fill a need without giving up assets. Now the Sabre sare looking at the prospect of either:

a) signing some old busted defencemen like Jason Smith.

b) trading a player like Stafford to pick up a soft defencemen to plug in to corp of soft blueliners.

What you call busted, I call the perfect hockey mug:

Very nice. But lets face it. If he were younger and healthier he wouldn't even be on the Sabres radar. I doubt his body could carry the entire physical load of a franchise at this point of his career. If the Sabres had anyone else to help out in the physical department Smith would be a nice addition. To expect him to carry the load is as foolish as expecting Connolly to stay healthy for any significant period of time.

Commadore and Orpik did not sign "big splash" contracts. The Sabres had a chance to fill a need without giving up assets. Now the Sabre sare looking at the prospect of either:

b) trading a player like Stafford to pick up a soft defencemen to plug in to corp of soft blueliners.

this is my biggest problem with the front offices approach. Sure you may overpay a little money wise in FA, but with a trade, you have to trade something good to get something good in return. So how is that really helping? By trading a forward for a defencemen, you are basically weakening the forwards to try and strengthen the defence. Also too, looking at some of the players put on waivers or being bought out, I don't have alot of confidence in getting much in return for guys like Max and Timmy, they will probably be better off just letting them play out their contracts and pray they do something to raise their value a bit by the trade deadline to get something in return.

Now as for the comments that the other teams in the EC didn't do much to improve, who cares, thats when the Sabres should be doing more to atleast catch up to some of the better teams. Just because other teams didn't improve, doesn't mean I should be content the Sabres did nothing yet. Buffalo failed to make the playoffs last year, and even if they did, they did not look like they would do any damage. Even Detroit went out and got better, and they already won the cup. Obviously they aren't content on just sitting back and hoping the competition will just stay the same or get worse around them, they want to make sure they repeat as champs.

Who wants a kings ransom for Max or Connolly(besides DR)? Give me a pick or prospect! Then turn around and use the cap space they were tying up to bring in a player via another trade or FA.

I couldn't care less about Commadore. And I've preached patience. It may still work out. But it seems we could have and should have beaten the contract Orpik signed with Pittsburgh. The fact that he said Buffalo was never a player in talks really bothers me. Even if the Sabres had just forced the Gwens to pay more for him it would have been a small victory. But we did...nothing.

I have to say it again, I don't think Smith is the answer. Character guy, yes. But ability no.

And yes, now we're in the position of having to give up something to get something--either to pay too much or give up garbage to get someone else's garbage.

Serenity now. :wallbash:

Very nice. But lets face it. If he were younger and healthier he wouldn't even be on the Sabres radar. I doubt his body could carry the entire physical load of a franchise at this point of his career. If the Sabres had anyone else to help out in the physical department Smith would be a nice addition. To expect him to carry the load is as foolish as expecting Connolly to stay healthy for any significant period of time.

I'm indifferent to Smith. But come on, Spach hits.

Occasionally. Not nearly regularly enough to call him a gritty, physical defenseman.

If Smith signs, and Weber makes the club full-time, the potential for a much more physical "D" is there as Spacek may step up his physical play.

Archived