Before anyone jumps off a bridge...

nfreeman

If Smith signs, and Weber makes the club full-time, the potential for a much more physical "D" is there as Spacek may step up his physical play.

That's true, hitting and toughness can be contagious. And at that point I would be more likely to believe Lindy's "team tough" nonsense.

That's true, hitting and toughness can be contagious. And at that point I would be more likely to believe Lindy's "team tough" nonsense.

I believe it can be contagious. We all saw what happened to Mair when Kaleta showed up. All of a sudden he's hitting people again because Kaleta is too. Maybe it was a friendly challenge from Pat to Adam, "I bet I can destroy more people than you."

I believe it can be contagious. We all saw what happened to Mair when Kaleta showed up. All of a sudden he's hitting people again because Kaleta is too. Maybe it was a friendly challenge from Pat to Adam, "I bet I can destroy more people than you."

Absolutely, and good example. If the scenario Ink described comes to pass, then all we would need is someone up front who plays more than 6 minutes a night to get the "it's OK to hit the guys in the other jerseys" memo...

I'm disappointed.

I'm mostly disappointed in the fact that the FO seems to be content with the mediocrity of this last season and doesn't want to do anything about it. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence to the people who put their in the seats, eat the crappy food at the HSBC, and buy the jerseys and other swag in droves. World+dog knows the Sabres need to up their blueline, desperately, yet the FO sits and does nothing but spout more and more .

Why does one run a hockey team? The point of having a hockey team is to WIN THE #%^$#!ING STANLEY CUP. No if's, and's, or but's. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

I think that pretty much said it. I have been a Sabres fan for a long time, and I have never seen a GM who doesn't seem to get it. Even when this FO does something smart, they can't figure it out. When we got Drury, we got him relatively cheap and he helped build this team to the three straight ECF teams we all enjoyed to watch. Then, after his contract was up, and knowing his contributions to the team, Regier decided to let him go. Stupid. Everyone says not to worry, that we'll end up with a top four D man by the time the season starts. Really? Just who is that going to be? What are we going to have to give up now to get that? I"m not really willing to trade either of our top RFAs, as they are the only players that, according to general concensus, are the two players we can't afford to lose. And for people to say that the team doesn't have the money to spend in this market, they clearly aren't aware of the cap and our situation. We had more than enough money to get any of the top Dmen that were available, with perhaps the exception of Campbell, for whom Chicago grossly overpaid.

The fact is, if this team wants to win, they are going to have to spend some money. They are going to have to offer Miller a heck of a deal to keep him from leaving for Detroit. Pominville is going to command some significant dough as well, particularly if he has a solid season. More than likely, the FO will, yet again, be lazy and let our better players drop to the wayside. If this keeps up, we'll be the Montreal Expos of the NHL. Tons of young talent that gets shipped out and wins championships elsewhere. If you want to win the cup, you have to be willing to take risks. I'm not saying spend money on a bunch of old washed up players like the Rangers, but you have to be willing to try and get some of that better talent. This FO just doesn't seem to get it and as a fan I'm getting a bit tired of being told, oh they know what they're doing. That's great to say, but let's see it on the ice. They're player and personnel mistakes have killed this team, and I really don't expect to get much better this season. The best I think we could do would be a 6th or 7th place finish in the East, and maybe we win one playoff series. That's best case scenario with the roster we have right now. We need to improve on D, and if we don't do it soon, all of the talent that we could reasonably get in a trade will be gone. Smith would be good, and I have heard that we were interested in Boumeester from Florida, who would also be good, but so far the Sabres FO hasn't done anything but talk. And folks, one thing that is for sure, the FO knows that talk is cheap. A lot cheaper than actually signing a player who could make a difference on this team, and therein lies the problem.

I think that pretty much said it. I have been a Sabres fan for a long time, and I have never seen a GM who doesn't seem to get it. Even when this FO does something smart, they can't figure it out. When we got Drury, we got him relatively cheap and he helped build this team to the three straight ECF teams we all enjoyed to watch. Then, after his contract was up, and knowing his contributions to the team, Regier decided to let him go. Stupid. Everyone says not to worry, that we'll end up with a top four D man by the time the season starts. Really? Just who is that going to be? What are we going to have to give up now to get that? I"m not really willing to trade either of our top RFAs, as they are the only players that, according to general concensus, are the two players we can't afford to lose. And for people to say that the team doesn't have the money to spend in this market, they clearly aren't aware of the cap and our situation. We had more than enough money to get any of the top Dmen that were available, with perhaps the exception of Campbell, for whom Chicago grossly overpaid.

The fact is, if this team wants to win, they are going to have to spend some money. They are going to have to offer Miller a heck of a deal to keep him from leaving for Detroit. Pominville is going to command some significant dough as well, particularly if he has a solid season. More than likely, the FO will, yet again, be lazy and let our better players drop to the wayside. If this keeps up, we'll be the Montreal Expos of the NHL. Tons of young talent that gets shipped out and wins championships elsewhere. If you want to win the cup, you have to be willing to take risks. I'm not saying spend money on a bunch of old washed up players like the Rangers, but you have to be willing to try and get some of that better talent. This FO just doesn't seem to get it and as a fan I'm getting a bit tired of being told, oh they know what they're doing. That's great to say, but let's see it on the ice. They're player and personnel mistakes have killed this team, and I really don't expect to get much better this season. The best I think we could do would be a 6th or 7th place finish in the East, and maybe we win one playoff series. That's best case scenario with the roster we have right now. We need to improve on D, and if we don't do it soon, all of the talent that we could reasonably get in a trade will be gone. Smith would be good, and I have heard that we were interested in Boumeester from Florida, who would also be good, but so far the Sabres FO hasn't done anything but talk. And folks, one thing that is for sure, the FO knows that talk is cheap. A lot cheaper than actually signing a player who could make a difference on this team, and therein lies the problem.

Is it bad that every time I read something about Miller going to Detroit I move onto the next post? I might as well start an "I can't wait for Patrick Kane to be done with his rookie contract, he's a lock to come to Buffalo." thread. It makes that much sense. :wallbash:

When we got Drury, we got him relatively cheap and he helped build this team to the three straight ECF teams we all enjoyed to watch. Then, after his contract was up, and knowing his contributions to the team, Regier decided to let him go. Stupid.

Wrong. They decided to let Briere go. They screwed up the negotiations with Drury.

Everyone says not to worry, that we'll end up with a top four D man by the time the season starts. Really? Just who is that going to be? What are we going to have to give up now to get that? I"m not really willing to trade either of our top RFAs, as they are the only players that, according to general concensus, are the two players we can't afford to lose. And for people to say that the team doesn't have the money to spend in this market, they clearly aren't aware of the cap and our situation. We had more than enough money to get any of the top Dmen that were available, with perhaps the exception of Campbell, for whom Chicago grossly overpaid.

What alleged top defenseman are you referring to? Orpik? He had a great playoff run and cashed in. He's not Niklas freakin' Lidstrom.

The fact is, if this team wants to win, they are going to have to spend some money...and folks, one thing that is for sure, the FO knows that talk is cheap. A lot cheaper than actually signing a player who could make a difference on this team, and therein lies the problem.

Teams that win Stanley cups build through the draft and supplement their rosters with FA not the other way around. This team has a nice core. Roy, Pominville, Miller, Gaustad, Vanek, Spacek, Tallinder, Stafford, Bernier, Paille, Mair, Kaleta, and Hecht. This organization also has the propects to keep the talent coming while not overpaying for good but not great players.

Could the Sabres use a forward and defenseman that provide leadership and grit, sure. Did they need to get Marion "How many rigns do I have?" Hossa? #%^$#! no.

Wrong. They decided to let Briere go. They screwed up the negotiations with Drury.

What alleged top defenseman are you referring to? Orpik? He had a great playoff run and cashed in. He's not Niklas freakin' Lidstrom.

Teams that win Stanley cups build through the draft and supplement their rosters with FA not the other way around. This team has a nice core. Roy, Pominville, Miller, Gaustad, Vanek, Spacek, Tallinder, Stafford, Bernier, Paille, Mair, Kaleta, and Hecht. This organization also has the propects to keep the talent coming while not overpaying for good but not great players.

Could the Sabres use a forward and defenseman that provide leadership and grit, sure. Did they need to get Marion "How many rigns do I have?" Hossa? #%^$#! no.

Nice rebuttal.

Apparently the problem is that TG and LQ came make more, er, clear more money if they spend a little on salaries and WE the fans pay alot compared to spending to the CAP and making the playoffs. Maybe the playoffs are just not financially paying. So I hope he SELLS the team. I mean, all we hear is that its a business... ect, ect.. I am sick of that crap, its not a business, its a game. The objective of the game is to WIN. I didnt buy my new jersey and game tickets to support the business, I bought it to support the team and WIN. If TG can't do that and is just in it to make some bucks, well then I hope his cat chits in his wheaties. They can't just have their thumb up the butts and do nothing this off season and hope all that video scouting pays off..........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All that I have to say.

I am happy that the front office didnt throw crazy money out there. Take care of your own then look for others. The major needs were a quality back up to miller and some blue line help. They got a backup goalie but I would have prefered maybe kolzig but lalime hopefully can get the job done. But on the other hand, other teams in the east have remained the same or gotten better. My biggest worry is pittsburgh. They have all their core guys signed to long term deals. Last time I checked, Pittsburgh made it to the cup finals with these players and some helpers. I think they can throw in some spare parts and remain a top level team.

After watching TSN's coverage on opening day, they all kept coming back to what detroit has done. They pin point talent within and resign them. Then they build thru the draft and put pieces into the puzzle that fit. I think Buffalo does that somewhat. I will begin to get worried when Buffalo doesnt resign their core players.

Either way, Buffalo is going to be a middle of the pack team that can be some lucky bounces or unlucky bounces from a playoff spot.

I know, I know, we didn't get Orpik, Darcy is a wuss, Golisano is a cheapskate, our defense is soft, the roster is set in stone on July 2, we're going to stink again next year, etc.

One of the charges that has been levied against Darcy is that he's sat back while other teams have gotten better. But is that really true? Because when I look at the EC's playoff teams from last year, the only one that I think has gotten appreciably better is NJ. The rest have either been weakened a lot (Rangers, Pittsburgh, Ottawa), weakened a little (Washington, Philly), or treaded water to slightly improved (Boston, Montreal).

Here are the playoff teams from last year:

Montreal -- if they get Sundin, they will have improved substantially, but otherwise? They lost Streit and Ryder and added Tanguay, who was a washout in Calgary.

Ottawa -- they lost Redden (a bit overrated, and certainly overpaid by the Rangers, but still probably their best defenseman) and Commodore (who was a washout), and added Ruutu, a good 4th-line player. If you wanted to move them into the "weakened a little" category I wouldn't argue too much, but they certainly didn't get better.

Washington -- they finally made the playoffs after about 100 years and then immediately downgraded at goalie.

NJ -- they made a few strong additions, including Rolston, who I really wanted. (and Darcy may have wanted him too -- according to ESPN, 17 teams made firm offers for him). I expect them to compete for #1 in the East next year.

NYR -- they gave a 31-year old Redden, whose play is already in decline, a huge 6-year contract. They lost Avery and will almost certainly lose Jagr and probably Shanahan. Big step back.

Philly -- Added Metropolit but had to unload Umberger, who's better and younger.

Pittsburgh -- Lost Hossa, Malone and Roberts. Ouch.

Boston -- Added Ryder (who turned into a washout in Montreal), and lost Metropolit and Auld. Nothing major either way.

So, am I crazy, or are the neighbors not exactly leaving us in the dust?

ESPN has a pretty good summary of all the action. Check it out and see what you think.

Give Darcy, and, yes, Quinn and TG a bit of time before you write off next year. They did give us 2 awesome years before last summer's CF.

Go Sabres.

That is a pretty good summary of transactions in the east. Theres not really one stand out team out there.

(I'm not in any way disregarding your post)

What i dont understand is... How can Regier and co. look at the 05/06' team,turn around and make them worse defensivly and not address the lack of grit on our team? Especially after Anaheim won the cup in 07'.There team was almost perfect. They had enough offense to get by. And there rarly went a game in the playoffs,where they had below 20 hits. Were lucky if we get 20 hits a week. We were 1 or 2 tweaks away from being a cup contender. Who knows,if Mc Kee and Connolly were healthy back in 06' we might of won the cup. All i know is,with a few moves we would of been set last year. Instead we give Mc Kee,Grier and Dumont away and become a very poor team defensivly. We let Drury go,and instantly the team loses all leadership. We need leadership,and grit,otherwise were lookin from the bottom up again next season.

Regier and co. have stated that they want to build a cup contending team from within. They've stated that from the 2006 playoffs,they've targeted a group of guys they want to lock up. Roy,Vanek,Hecht,Pominville,Miller,Gaustad. Thats great i hope they can pull it off. But they need to reconize that Bernier and Paille are also a part of that group. If they give Bernier away thats a red flag to throw alot more questions about commitment to winning around. I know Bernier did not put up as much points as people would of liked. But he's a very sound 2 way forward who can hit. Dan Paille is so underrated its ridiculous. Hes one of the only players i've seen that can knock Chara down,and do a toe drag in the same game. He had 19 goals and 16 assists for a total of 35 points. Not bad for his first full year in the NHL. Thats coming off a year were the lines were switched around so much,no one could find chemistry. Think about how many assists he would of piled up if Ruff got his head out his ass,and made up some lines that make sense. Paille and Stafford have a chemistry forged in the AHL,Let Paille set him up. Pair those 2 between Gaustad and you have a very solid 3rd line.

We need to get Max out of Buffalo. Hes worthless. We have more than enough offense to spare. Dump him for anything or nothing. It doesn't matter by this point.

Missing the deal with Orpik is going to bite us in the ass. You cant find a better d man for cheaper than the deal he signed.

Theres not alot changes to be made. Just smart ones. If the roster stays the same,im not counting us out. But im not expecting much. Its a shame too. Because i really enjoyed the emotion felt during the 06' playoffs. But sadly thats as close as were ever gonna get.Especially if the management doesn't realise it takes more than offense to win the cup.

As to your first reply, that was my point. They screwed everything up last year. They just don't seem to know what they're doing when it comes to signing free agents and keeping good players. Complete incompetence. I don't see how you're disagreeing.

As to the second comment, ANY of the D-Men who would have provided a physical and solid style of play. Orpik wasn't a bad choice, but there were others. We could have traded for Pitkanen. We could have picked up Liles, or made an offer to one of the RFA guys such as Boumeester. But, nope, we didn't. We didn't even so much as stick our feet into the water for fear of ... what ... I don't know. They don't take any chances at all and that really is terrible.

As to your last point, all I can say is REALLY? What players did Detroit get in the draft that are currently on the roster and that played big role in winning the Cup that are in the first term of their contract. I bet you can only find a couple who arguably fit that role. The Wings bring in the best pieces in FA. They do it every year. I live in Detroit, and that's all I hear about every day. We do have good young players, but they aren't going to develop without some veteran leadership to guide them. Every time one of our players gets to "veteran status" they either have refused to resign them or they let them get away. Personally, I think if Drury had been retained, this team would have won at least four or five more games than we did last year, which would have put us in the playoffs. I'm tired of watching this FO treat the team like we're the Montreal Expos of the 1990s, having tons of young great talent that we just love to ship off to the rest of the league where they thrive. This FO won't spend money on the players they need to retain and the draft picks who actually produce are always getting away. I'll be interested to see if we sign Bernier and Paille before someone makes them an oversized offer and the Sabres refuse to match it to "keep that talent" here.

Is it bad that every time I read something about Miller going to Detroit I move onto the next post? I might as well start an "I can't wait for Patrick Kane to be done with his rookie contract, he's a lock to come to Buffalo." thread. It makes that much sense. :wallbash:

Try living in Detroit and hearing the noise for a while. His family still lives here and he had dreams of playing for the Red Wings as a kid. Not to mention, with the way this front office is holding down the fort, his only chance at winning a Stanley Cup is if he leaves, same as Hasek. You may just want to roll your eyes and not worry about the prospect of Miller leaving town, but if the Red Wings make him an offer next year, and we haven't done due diligence and offered him a decent contract, he's history, whether you think it will happen or not.

Miller may not stay here, but he is not going to Detroit. They just drafted a very talented goalie in the first round and they are still very high on Jimmy Howard.

If by high on Howard you mean they consider him a decent prospect for use as trade bait, you have it right. And first round talent takes time to develop. They signed a goalie to a one year deal this season and there is no way that Osgood comes back again after this season is over. They are going to target a veteran goaltender at the end of next season and odds are, it'll be Miller. He would be one of the best players out on the market, would fill a need, and their FO has no problem shelling out big bucks on players, something our FO seems to avoid like the plague. All of that adds up to a serious problem for us.

If by high on Howard you mean they consider him a decent prospect for use as trade bait, you have it right. And first round talent takes time to develop. They signed a goalie to a one year deal this season and there is no way that Osgood comes back again after this season is over.

Why not? Hasek was starter for most of the year and he is in his 40's.

Chelios is a fossil.

Signing players like Osgood year after year is part of their MO and he's locked until 2011.

They are going to target a veteran goaltender at the end of next season and odds are, it'll be Miller. He would be one of the best players out on the market, would fill a need, and their FO has no problem shelling out big bucks on players, something our FO seems to avoid like the plague. All of that adds up to a serious problem for us.

I think their first targets will be Zetterburg, Frazen, and Samuelson......are they going to have an extra 7 million to go around?

Miller may not stay here, but he is not going to Detroit. They just drafted a very talented goalie in the first round and they are still very high on Jimmy Howard.

I agree with you. I dont think Detroit wants Miller. Pierre Maguire had a blurb in SI a few weeks ago how they drafted their goalie of the future and how he was going to goalie camp in Niagra Falls with their goalie coach. I think Osgood can continue to play for awhile or until their prospects are ready. For a goalie who has won two cups, Osgood doesnt get any credit.

I agree with you. I dont think Detroit wants Miller. Pierre Maguire had a blurb in SI a few weeks ago how they drafted their goalie of the future and how he was going to goalie camp in Niagra Falls with their goalie coach. I think Osgood can continue to play for awhile or until their prospects are ready. For a goalie who has won two cups, Osgood doesnt get any credit.

Osgood looked pretty good in the playoffs this year, but he didn't play a full season either. He is a good goalie, but I don't think at this point in his career he can be expected to play a full year at a high level. And I also don't think Detroit needed to bring in a top rated forward to continue to play at the top of the league, but they did anyway because they aren't content with just winning a cup, they want to contend for it every year. Miller would be an upgrade over Osgood (didn't Osgood start the year as their backup?) and Detroit showed this year that they aren't afraid in upgrading any spot on their roster

The goalie they just drafted will take a few years to develop in the minors before he is ready to play in the NHL. Thats not going to stop them from signing a goalie like Miller. And if they were so high on Howard like most thought, they probably would not have drafted a "goalie of the future". I could see the Wings keeping Osgood for atleast this year, Conklin is only on a one year deal, and then bringing in someone like Miller to start while this goalie they just picked up develops, and either move Howard to a team looking for goalie help (he is from Syracuse, maybe Buffalo will be interested?) or bring him up as a backup

If theres one thing I noticed about Detroit, they are a team that plays to win now, while keeping an eye on the future. They replace guys that leave with guys that can help now, and always have an eye on their youth with one of the best scouting departments in the league

Osgood looked pretty good in the playoffs this year, but he didn't play a full season either. He is a good goalie, but I don't think at this point in his career he can be expected to play a full year at a high level. And I also don't think Detroit needed to bring in a top rated forward to continue to play at the top of the league, but they did anyway because they aren't content with just winning a cup, they want to contend for it every year. Miller would be an upgrade over Osgood (didn't Osgood start the year as their backup?) and Detroit showed this year that they aren't afraid in upgrading any spot on their roster

The goalie they just drafted will take a few years to develop in the minors before he is ready to play in the NHL. Thats not going to stop them from signing a goalie like Miller. And if they were so high on Howard like most thought, they probably would not have drafted a "goalie of the future". I could see the Wings keeping Osgood for atleast this year, Conklin is only on a one year deal, and then bringing in someone like Miller to start while this goalie they just picked up develops, and either move Howard to a team looking for goalie help (he is from Syracuse, maybe Buffalo will be interested?) or bring him up as a backup

If theres one thing I noticed about Detroit, they are a team that plays to win now, while keeping an eye on the future. They replace guys that leave with guys that can help now, and always have an eye on their youth with one of the best scouting departments in the league

Howard is from Syracuse and McCollum is from Sanborn? You gotta believe they were Sabres fans growing up. What are we going to do with all these goalies in 2011?

FWIW, Here's a breakdown of Detroit's roster:

How the Red Wings were built:

Selected in entry draft (10)

Nicklas Lidstrom (1989, 53rd)

Tomas Holmstrom (1994, 257th)

Pavel Datsyuk (1998, 171st)

Henrik Zetterberg (1999, 210th)

Niklas Kronwall (2000, 29th)

Jiri Hudler (2002, 58th)

Valtteri Filppula (2002, 95th)

Derek Meech (2002, 229th)

Johan Franzen (2004, 97th)

Darren Helm (2005, 132nd)

Signed as free agent (11)

Brett Lebda (2005)

Andreas Lilja (2005)

x-Chris Osgood (2005)

Mikael Samuelsson (2005)

Dan Cleary (2005)

Dominik Hasek (2006)

Brian Rafalski (2007)

y-Dallas Drake (2007)

Mark Hartigan (2007)

Aaron Downey (2007)

z-Darren McCarty (2008)

Acquired by trade (4)

Kris Draper (1993)

Kirk Maltby (1996)

Chris Chelios (1999)

Brad Stuart (2008)

x-originally drafted by team in 1991 (54th)

y-originally drafted by team in 1989 (116th)

z-originally drafted by team in 1992 (46th)

LINK

IMO, the list of guys drafted by Detroit is much more impressive -- Datsyuk, Zetterburg, Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Franzen -- that the the ones they brought in through FA. Looking at that list it seems that most of the stars came in via draft and they used FA and trades to fill in the depth around their homegrown stars.

Why not? Hasek was starter for most of the year and he is in his 40's.

Chelios is a fossil.

Signing players like Osgood year after year is part of their MO and he's locked until 2011.

I think their first targets will be Zetterburg, Frazen, and Samuelson......are they going to have an extra 7 million to go around?

Yeah. Every year they find a way to keep all of the players they want. 7 mil is nothing to that team. Illych is willing to spend to the cap to win the cup. Something our team isn't willing to do. If the Wings want a guy, they get him, and they keep their players. No one in the FO in Detroit moans that a good player wants too much money. They pay for value. Something our FO could take a note from. As for Osgood, he's signed until 2011, but they don't want him to start for that long. They need to keep a solid goalie on the roster as a backup. They will be looking for a young, talented, and experienced goalie after next season, and why not the hometown kid? If we don't get off of our collective behinds and sign him long before his RFA season is over, he'll be in Motown for sure. I think he will be resigned, though I am thinking that less and less as I watch the FO make blunder after blunder. Here's to hoping, but I have a bad feeling this will be his last season in the Blue and Gold.

Archived