Get out your flame throwers boys......

deluca67

Alexei Zhitnik. If the Sabres can sign him at under $2 million a year I would take a chance on him for two reasons.

1) Under Lindy Ruff, Zhitnik was a very good defensemen who logged a lot of ice time and was pretty physical.

2) Zhitnik problems have been because of his conditioning. If the Sabres can get Alexei to rededicate himself and drop 20 pounds the guy

you signed cheap to be your #6 defensemen may end the year in your top pairing.

Flame away boys.

I just don't like it because the only thing that ever made him special was his skating ability. He was a phenomenal skater when he was here--but that was in his prime. He just doesn't have the legs anymore, and it was really noticeable last season, at least the 4 or 5 games I saw him play in. And I don't really view him as one of those smart veteran players either. He's always taken dumb penalties. At least Warrener would give you an added physical dimension and is a smart veteran who can block shots.

Even so, I respect your points about Z. He was a good guy when he was here, so hell, there are a lot worse ideas floating around out there these days.

I wanted the Sabres to trade for Zhitnik last year to try and save Kalinin. Zhitnik can't really be any worse than Lydman or Sekera and plays a similar style but has a little more beef. Today, I think Warrener is a better fit as he is a slightly faster and tougher version of Pratt.

If I am a bottom 10 team, I try to sign the both of them (Kalinin+Zhitnik) and jumpstart the pair again.

In reality, no suggestion for the Sabres defense should be flamed. Their soft play is what defines this team.

I've got a better idea:

Gord Donnelly

Nice Choice... I was hoping we could lure Brian Engblom back to the fold.

Seriously though....I realize we all want a tough, rugged stay at home, Orpik like defensman, but I wouldn't mind finding the next Bodger, Galley, Svoboda type D-man either.

Zhitnik was awful last year. AWFUL. 3-5-8, -8 in 65 games.

I don't think you can reasonably expect a guy who will be 36 at the start of next season to suddenly re-discover his motivation to work hard, lose 20 pounds and accept a role as a no.6 defenseman.

Just like the injured Rhett Warrener, who is banged up to the point of being a shell of his former self - pass, without question.

I'd rather see Peca or Barnes than Warrener or Zhitnik...

I tend to agree, if only because they can center the fourth line, kill penalties and either take big defensive zone draws at the end of games or be on the ice in case Goose or whoever gets tossed ... in that role, playing like 12 minutes a night, a veteran past his prime can be valuable ... but the Sabres tend to give all their D-men just about equal time, and they don't have anyone to pick up the slack if Zhitnik or whoever is only effective for 12 minutes a night ... now, if they ever got their hands on a guy who can truly play 28-30 minutes and be effective, maybe their 6th D-man can be hidden like that.

I don't know if Zhitnik has grown smarter as a hockey player since he left Buffalo(I doubt it), but the STUPID penalties and other mental mistakes in his own end make me want to say "no thank you" to Zhitnik coming back.

Not to mention the 2 to 3 forwards he will take out with that SCUD of a slapper.

Alexei Zhitnik. If the Sabres can sign him at under $2 million a year I would take a chance on him for two reasons.

1) Under Lindy Ruff, Zhitnik was a very good defensemen who logged a lot of ice time and was pretty physical.

2) Zhitnik problems have been because of his conditioning. If the Sabres can get Alexei to rededicate himself and drop 20 pounds the guy

Flame away boys.

I agree, as I think I pointed out to you earlier.

Flame away boys.

You know, when Zhitnik first left, I never thought they'd ever be able to replace him or his ice time. Looking back, I can't believe how quickly I forgot all about him. Really, other than the horribly timed penalties and the head-level slappers, I still can't remember much else.

I think we have a much better chance with this guy, in spite of the fact that he's about to turn 40. If Gary Roberts can still play with a team like Tampa Bay, why not him?

I normally disagree with everything you say, but I can't with this. I still like Teppo and would love to see him around for one more year. We just need better D besides him.

I normally disagree with everything you say, but I can't with this. I still like Teppo and would love to see him around for one more year. We just need better D besides him.

I am certain that if the Sabres do not sign or trade for a defenseman, they will definitely be bringing Teppo back at one year and $2.6 million. Personally, I thought he was desperately missed by the team and it was obvious. All it took was one game against Boston and the whole blueline was completely different. There were very few mistakes from the blueline, pucks were cleared out of the zone, and the one thing I love about Teppo is he is so positionally sound in the defensive zone and it goes unnoticed by everyone. I clearly remember when Tallinder went to the boards, Teppo was standing in the slot and preventing anyone from getting an open shot on Miller, which Lydman, Tallinder, and Campbell all did consistently throughout last year which was overcommit to one side leaving the slot wide open for open nets and clear shots on goal. When Teppo is on the ice, that never happens. Obviously we all know how excellent he is at the break out pass, but his play in the defensive zone gets overlooked and he's so calm and smart that he makes everyone around him a better player. I'd love for Teppo to come back regardless of whether he's a Top 6 or 7th or 8th defenseman. His game was clearly missed this past season.

1, at least we can agree on something - for once.

2, regardless of the fact that we're both Sabres fans (that's assuming that you're one too), I came to the conclusion a long time ago that there will always be board members who wind up locking horns against each other (and we aren't the only ones on here that do this). I don't even take it personally anymore.

3, as for better D besides Teppo, I couldn't have said it better myself. I once called into NHL Home Ice on XM and let it be known that I was sick and tired of the Sabres being treated as a farm club for the rest of the league, only to watch good players get shipped out of town and win Stanley Cups. I know that's not always true, but it's been approximately 38 (going on 39) years of frustration and no Cup yet.

Archived