Name your alltime favorite Sabre Goals

stenbaro

MayDay '93

Dave Hannan '94

Pominville vs. Sens OT winner '06

Kotalik goal vs. Canes '06, where Lydman checks Commodore and feeds to Kotalik streaking up the middle.

Briere OT winner vs PHL, '06

Drew Stafford winner vs. Toronto, 3-23-2007 (Still on my TiVo)

Connolly GTG vs. OTT, game 1 ECSF '06

Drury GWG vs. OTT, game 1 ECSF '06 (jumped out of my chair and hit my head on the low ceiling in my basement.)

Vanek tip in goal out of mid air vs. TB, March '08.

I remember a Holzinger goal in the 1999 playoffs, but no other details about it. I think he wove through a crowded crease.

Stu Barnes OT winner vs. Pittsburgh, Derby Day '01

Derek Plante OT winner vs. OTT, 1997

Mal Davis GWG vs. Boston, 1983 (Caps five-goal deficit with 7-6 win).

I thought I was the only one that remebered that. Remember how he was almost running on his skates as the d-man tried to squeeze him along the boards just inside the blue line?

The Drury goal vs. the Rangers was maybe the best for me at the time, but his subsequent departure has ruined it for me. I can't watch it again without feeling betrayed and depressed. (btw, RJ's "who else?" call was just perfect. I also really liked

As for goals that have withstood the test of time, 3 from 7-6 stand out: Pommer's, of course, and Connolly's GTG with 6 seconds left, but my personal favorite was Connolly's

in the 2nd period. The end zone replay, at about the 24-second mark, shows what an awesome goal that was.

Another great goal (and great RJ call) was

vs Philly in the 2006 playoffs.

Shootout goals of course aren't as meaningful as playoff goals, but Vanek's

move to score on Dominik and win the game when we finally beat Ottawa in the 05-06 season (after they had smoked us 3 or 4 times that season) was great.

Misty water-colored memories...

The Drury goal vs. the Rangers ... I can't watch it again without feeling betrayed and depressed. (btw, RJ's "who else?" call was just perfect. I also really liked

Me too ... I had not watched it in a long time and I clicked on it today ... just made me sad. I don't care whose fault it was, it's just sad.

Back to that Mal Davis goal ... I was like 12 years old at the time, so I could be way off, but wasn't that game only on cable (at a time when not everyone had it) and there was some sort of groundswell of complaining for it to be replayed on regular TV? And eventually they DID so everyone could see it because it was such a crazy comeback? Like I said, I could have dreamed that ....

As for goals that have withstood the test of time, 3 from 7-6 stand out: Pommer's, of course, and Connolly's GTG with 6 seconds left, but my personal favorite was Connolly's
in the 2nd period. The end zone replay, at about the 24-second mark, shows what an awesome goal that was.

I loved the barrel roll the first Ottawa pointman (Alfredsson? hahahaha) took after getting deked by Connolly. Hilarious. Boy oh boy was Timmy in the zone that day. Possibly his best play of the day was his feed to Roy on the two on one in that game. That is still my all time most favorite game. I wish I had a tape of it to rewatch.

MayDay '93

Dave Hannan '94

Pominville vs. Sens OT winner '06

Kotalik goal vs. Canes '06, where Lydman checks Commodore and feeds to Kotalik streaking up the middle.

Briere OT winner vs PHL, '06

Drew Stafford winner vs. Toronto, 3-23-2007 (Still on my TiVo)

Connolly GTG vs. OTT, game 1 ECSF '06

Drury GWG vs. OTT, game 1 ECSF '06 (jumped out of my chair and hit my head on the low ceiling in my basement.)

Vanek tip in goal out of mid air vs. TB, March '08.

I remember a Holzinger goal in the 1999 playoffs, but no other details about it. I think he wove through a crowded crease.

Stu Barnes OT winner vs. Pittsburgh, Derby Day '01

Derek Plante OT winner vs. OTT, 1997

Mal Davis GWG vs. Boston, 1983 (Caps five-goal deficit with 7-6 win).

Nice one. Pommer's a much better skater, but darken that hair a little and tell me there isn't a resemblance.

(physically I mean)

I think the most emotional I got was a playoff goal, against Quebec (around 1983 or 1984 I am thinking). The Sabres were down by a goal, seconds away from elimination. Mike Foligno (one of my all-time favorites), stole the puck, in the Buffalo end of the neutrual zone. Foligno dumped the puck off to a winger (can't remember who) coming up the side (as MF was bieng interfered with). The winger passed it back to Foligno coming up the center of the ice, as he had dumped the guy draped all over him...he took it in and scored a game-tying goal...I was euphoric...only the refs called it back, they said it was offsides...it was, but the smallest of margins...I was pissed...the first time I broke a remote control...it was one of those old school boxes, with the cord going to the tv...I spiked it like a football, and it broke in three pieces...my dad wanted to break me into three pieces...

I think the most emotional I got was a playoff goal, against Quebec (around 1983 or 1984 I am thinking). The Sabres were down by a goal, seconds away from elimination. Mike Foligno (one of my all-time favorites), stole the puck, in the Buffalo end of the neutrual zone. Foligno dumped the puck off to a winger (can't remember who) coming up the side (as MF was bieng interfered with). The winger passed it back to Foligno coming up the center of the ice, as he had dumped the guy draped all over him...he took it in and scored a game-tying goal...I was euphoric...only the refs called it back, they said it was offsides...it was, but the smallest of margins...I was pissed...the first time I broke a remote control...it was one of those old school boxes, with the cord going to the tv...I spiked it like a football, and it broke in three pieces...my dad wanted to break me into three pieces...

I remember also..Maybe the curse dates back to then also..LOL

Here are my top 10:

1) MayDay....MayDay....MayDay...

2) Robert's OT goal in the fog game against Philly

3) Drury's goal against the Rangers to tie it up with 7 seconds

4) Pominville's OT series clincher against Ottawa

5) Derek Plante's Game 7 OT winner against Ottawa

6) Dave Hannan's winner in 3 OT's to end the longest game in Sabres history 1-0 against the Devils

7) Jason Woolley's Game 1 OT game winner against the Stars in the Cup Finals

8) Stu Barnes OT winner against Pittsburgh in game 1, 2001 Semis

9) Afinigenov's OT Winner against the Rangers after Drury scored with 7 seconds left to tie it...

10) Tim Connolly's goal with 11 seconds left to send it to OT against the Sens in game 1

Both top memories from the 70's. Same playoff year?

All 3 were from '75. The Gare OT goal to start the semis off and his goal from an impossible angle in game 6 of that series that Dryden probably still takes cr*p for. Robert's goal in the fog has to have been etched into the memory of anyone that's mid-30's or older.

Wasn't that in the finals against Dallas.

Nope. That goal was the one where Sanderson came down the off wing on a breakaway when EVERYONE (including ol' Bats-in-his-Belfour) in the building just KNEW he was going to try that slapshot from the top of the circle. Bats was out to totally take that shot away, and the Sandman walked around him and threw it into the empty net. Good times, good times.

The goal that the Sandman got off 1 handed was the winner in the 1st TO game.

All 3 were from '75. The Gare OT goal to start the semis off and his goal from an impossible angle in game 6 of that series that Dryden probably still takes cr*p for. Robert's goal in the fog has to have been etched into the memory of anyone that's mid-30's or older.

Nope. That goal was the one where Sanderson came down the off wing on a breakaway when EVERYONE (including ol' Bats-in-his-Belfour) in the building just KNEW he was going to try that slapshot from the top of the circle. Bats was out to totally take that shot away, and the Sandman walked around him and threw it into the empty net. Good times, good times.

Geoff Sanderson owes me 350 Bucks..LOL..Stiff

Rangers game 5 is the best game I can remember watching...the drury goal was so surreal...I actually remember yelling the F-word really loud. I was actually mad because at that point, I had already resigned myself that they were going to lose. That whole OT just built, and built and built. Watching Max score that goal, after being benched the game before, and seeing the whole team just pile on him at center ice was a memory that I will never forget. I wish I had a copy of that game, so that when my son gets old enough he can see it.

I was with some Ranger fans watching it, and they were gloating and gloating all third. And right before the face off one turned to me and said ya know this is over right. I said no joke to hold on cause I've seen crazy things from this team.

Sure enough we all know what happened... all night the Rangers fans cried. Boy it was a great feeling watching what they thought was a done deal get shattered. :D

I was in shock being a Sabres fan, but they were more shocked. Never seen so many ranger groupies leave a bar so fast.

I'm pretty sure that was in the Leafs series in 1999 also ...

It was indeed.

Sylvain Cote was the defender, Erik Rasmussen got the assist, which is kind of funny really, cause I watched that goal repeatedly back in the day, and Sanderson is way over the red line taking the pass, which was essentially a clearing attempt from the defensive zone. Back in those days, shouldn't that have been a 2 line pass?

Come to think of it, I can't remember if Rasmussen got the assist or if they called it unassisted, which might explain it.

Man did Joseph get beat on that one, you could just tell he had that "WTF is he going to do" look on his face, and it completely took him by surprise.

Back to that Mal Davis goal ... I was like 12 years old at the time, so I could be way off, but wasn't that game only on cable (at a time when not everyone had it) and there was some sort of groundswell of complaining for it to be replayed on regular TV? And eventually they DID so everyone could see it because it was such a crazy comeback? Like I said, I could have dreamed that ....

Re-posting this because I really want to know if I imagined that story ... one of the elder-statesmen around here has to know ... just tell me I am nuts if you think so ...

Re-posting this because I really want to know if I imagined that story ... one of the elder-statesmen around here has to know ... just tell me I am nuts if you think so ...

I remember watching that game as clear as a bell, like I said a remeber watching Mal Davis almost running on his skates along the boards, but I don't remember the out rage over reshowing it. The only time I remember that kind if thing is the Bills' comeback that ended up being partially replayed on tv.

Mayday, because I was there, and he scored it right in front of us. I was in the upper golds to Ranford's right side.

Second is Pominville's shorty in OT against the overrated Senators.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Andy Moog was in net, and he gave up the Mayday goal. I believe Ranford was still with Edmonton when that goal was scored. I think he came back to Boston in 1994 and was part of the Adam Oates trade to Washington for Jason Allison, Anson Carter, and I believe Jim Carey in 1996. Regardless, it was still a great goal in Buffalo Sabres history.

I would need to be hypnotized to remember who scored it, but the 14th goal against the Leafs in a game in 1981 at the Aud is on my short list. It led to one of the most wonderful, bizarre chants in Aud history: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-we-want-15!

Someone mentioned the Haworth OT goal. I also went nuts. I was listening on the radio, and this was during Jeanneret's prime. It was a great goal call. He actually used to just let it rip on his goal calls, instead of doing the ridiculous stretched out "scoooooore" while trying to think of something corny to say. The horn really killed this Radio Star.

Anyone else remember Rob Ray scoring in the playoffs against New Jersey in 94 at the Aud, off the back boards, off Brodeur's back, off the stone guy and into the net? Then he dropped the gloves and hammered one of the Devs.

Two I remember was a goal by Hawerchuk where he was behind the (Flyers) net, and flipped it above the net to the front, and got it himself and scored. The one I was there for was a great goal by a horsecollar-wearing Rick Vaive against the Russians (Sabres won 6-1 I think) where he just cranked a heavy shot off the crossbar and in.

post-157-1210649137_thumbjpg

Mid 30s? They'd be 2 years old.

Two I remember was a goal by Hawerchuk where he was behind the (Flyers) net, and flipped it above the net to the front, and got it himself and scored. The one I was there for was a great goal by a horsecollar-wearing Rick Vaive against the Russians (Sabres won 6-1 I think) where he just cranked a heavy shot off the crossbar and in.

I thought I was dreaming it up no one else mentioned that one, I have looked everywhere to find it to no avail..

Archived