Name your alltime favorite Sabre Goals

stenbaro

Couldn't find them all, but here are a few.

Dave Hannan's playoff OT winner against NJD -

Curtis Brown's playoff OT winner against Philly -

Chris Drury GTG/Max's OT GWG against NYR -

Danny Gare's playoff OT GWG against Montreal -

Stu Barnes' playoff OT GWG against Pittsburgh -

Derek Plante's playoff OT GWG against Ottawa - LINK

Jason Pominville's playoff OT GWG against Ottawa -

Brad May's playoff OT GWG vs. Montreal - May Day

Pat LaFontaine's Top 10 Goals -

And for rickshaw - Alex Mogilny Highlight Reel -

Thanks! That was fun to watch those goals. That Pominville goal, the CBC announcer doing it is so much funnier. He finishes so depressed..."And the Ottawa Sens season.....has...come....to....and end" lol!

Mike Greer's goal to beat the Flyers a few years ago in that matinee game was totally awesome too. It wasn't a playoff game or anything but it was just such a fun one to watch and win. Teppo scored his first goal of the season that game

That was a great game. I think during that game they really realized that nobody could match lines with them rolling 4.

That was a great game. I think during that game they really realized that nobody could match lines with them rolling 4.

That goal made me think we had a legit shot with that team..I thought from that point on we had a really good shot to win the cup..

Can anyone find a link to that HAwerchuk goal from behind the net against the flyers???

Pommer's shorthanded overtime goal in Kanata with Redden and Alfredson wiffin'.

same (for all of those right reasons -) - with mayday a close second.

both of those clinchers inspired in me a wonderful mix of joy and disbelief.

Mine is def Dumont grabbing it in air throwing it down and burying it in the net. Being a Buffalo fan I didn't believe until that point that is could happen. I really really thought they were going to win the cup after that, and I knew the pommers goal would be coming soon.

Typical buffalo sports when even though it takes all that to make me believe, in the end we still didn't win. <_<

Hell of a ride though, and had the best times watching with my friends so I am at least thankful for that.

OK since I kind of dodged the question earlier in the thread ... after sleeping on it, I have two ... Pommer shorthanded if probably my favorite in terms of the shock value ...

But overall it's Dixon Ward into the empty net from 170 feet away to put the Leafs away in 1999 ... just a very memorable, "Holy &%$&, they actually did it!" moment ... I guess there was that in 2006 also but by then I believed that team was as good as any in the league and could win it all. In '99 I never felt it was really an elite team, so every win was stunning in its own way, compared to '06, anyway.

Mine is definitely Tim Connolly's game tying goal against Ottawa in 2006. That along with Drury's, Dumont's, and Pominville's goals from later in that series are all great and memorable because I never felt so much loathing for an opponent during a playoff series as I did for them. TC's goal stands out above the rest because of the circumstances surrounding it. It was the most exciting, back and forth game I've ever seen. It was astounding enough that Roy had tied up the game shorthanded with about 90 seconds to go, only to have Smolinski get the lead right back on the power play that remained. I wanted to punch that sh**-eating grin right off his face after that. The smugness of that team was just unbelievable.

Then Timmay comes out of nowhere to roof a backhander over Emery to tie the game with 10 seconds to go. It happened so fast and it was such an impossibly weird looking shot that it took a few seconds to sink in. Then Drury wins it like 4 seconds into over time. I've never seen two players in such as zone as Roy and Connolly were that game. What an amazing series that was.

Mine is definitely Tim Connolly's game tying goal against Ottawa in 2006. That along with Drury's, Dumont's, and Pominville's goals from later in that series are all great and memorable because I never felt so much loathing for an opponent during a playoff series as I did for them. TC's goal stands out above the rest because of the circumstances surrounding it. It was the most exciting, back and forth game I've ever seen. It was astounding enough that Roy had tied up the game shorthanded with about 90 seconds to go, only to have Smolinski get the lead right back on the power play that remained. I wanted to punch that sh**-eating grin right off his face after that. The smugness of that team was just unbelievable.

Then Timmay comes out of nowhere to roof a backhander over Emery to tie the game with 10 seconds to go. It happened so fast and it was such an impossibly weird looking shot that it took a few seconds to sink in. Then Drury wins it like 4 seconds into over time. I've never seen two players in such as zone as Roy and Connolly were that game. What an amazing series that was.

Yes! That was a great one! I was thinking about that one myself after I had picked the others. :thumbsup:

Its interesting that not one of us has put down the Shot heard round the world by Jason Wooley....Maybe cuz we lost the cup...

I think someone did mention it in passing, but I am sure the result had a lot to do with it ... even when he scored I remember going nuts but as I calmed down I still felt "Man, it's going to be tough to win 3 more ..." When Pommer scored, I truly believed they were winning the whole thing, the euphoria lingered longer ... also it won a series (as did the Ward goal I mentioned), so those always linger ...

Speaking of results/expectations changing how we remember things or feel about them ... expectations were so high last year that I really think I did not feel joy as much as relief when Drury scored against the Rangers and then Max won it ... it didn't feel like so many of these other goals we mentioned, it just felt like we dodged a bullet. And that kind of sucks, i wish I had enjoyed that more.

Anyone else remember a Geoff Sanderson goal where he had a partial break-away with a defenseman on his heals. With the Dman grabbing on, taking him down and one hand on his out-stretched stick, did two quick flips of the wrist and put it past the goalie. I wish I could find the video, because at the time, I thought it was one of the most amazing goals that I had ever seen. Obviously, it didn't have the meaning of the goals listed above, but it was really cool.

Anyone else remember a Geoff Sanderson goal where he had a partial break-away with a defenseman on his heals. With the Dman grabbing on, taking him down and one hand on his out-stretched stick, did two quick flips of the wrist and put it past the goalie. I wish I could find the video, because at the time, I thought it was one of the most amazing goals that I had ever seen. Obviously, it didn't have the meaning of the goals listed above, but it was really cool.

I'm pretty sure that was in the Leafs series in 1999 also ...

I think age has alot to do with this, and always will until we can cite the initial Cup clinching goal.

My immediate thought was Rene Robert in OT against Montreal, scoring in the fog, and Gare's OT winners against the Habs.

I was also present in April 1971 for another favorite. Bert broke the rookie goal record against the Blues. His record lasted almost a full year before Rico broke it.

Dumonts goal -- The floating biscuit.

I like it :thumbsup:

I also love how he was the most excited person in the arena. I don't think he was expecting it cause he watched it for a couple of seconds. He does the running man on ice after. I always liked him on this team, and wished they kept him with Briere rather than max and TC. They seem liked they cared more about winning and the team. I guess that is what bothers me about some of our current players.

The two I can watch on a continuous loop:

Pommers- Alfredson getting schooled even better

Drury: Anytime I even think about that goal I get goosebumps. I was there and it seemed like an alternate reality. Seeing that woman on the big board praying for the Sabres with "I'm a believer" in the background. I jumped so high I nearly fell down a few rows.

Good times man, :thumbsup: good times <sigh>

That goal made me think we had a legit shot with that team..I thought from that point on we had a really good shot to win the cup..

Can anyone find a link to that HAwerchuk goal from behind the net against the flyers???

I only looked on YouTube but couldn't find anything of Hawerchuk in a Sabres' uniform, nor could I find anything from the fog game. I think there are highlight clips that show those goals but nothing I could find of just the goal.

That's my second most prominent memory of those playoffs. I couldn't tell you who it was against but I remember it being a weekend afternoon game.

MayDay '93

Dave Hannan '94

Pominville vs. Sens OT winner '06

Kotalik goal vs. Canes '06, where Lydman checks Commodore and feeds to Kotalik streaking up the middle.

Briere OT winner vs PHL, '06

Drew Stafford winner vs. Toronto, 3-23-2007 (Still on my TiVo)

Connolly GTG vs. OTT, game 1 ECSF '06

Drury GWG vs. OTT, game 1 ECSF '06 (jumped out of my chair and hit my head on the low ceiling in my basement.)

Vanek tip in goal out of mid air vs. TB, March '08.

I remember a Holzinger goal in the 1999 playoffs, but no other details about it. I think he wove through a crowded crease.

Stu Barnes OT winner vs. Pittsburgh, Derby Day '01

Derek Plante OT winner vs. OTT, 1997

Mal Davis GWG vs. Boston, 1983 (Caps five-goal deficit with 7-6 win).

Archived