BC/ND

Strow

It sure would be nice to see Gerbe in the organization next year. I don't care what level it is. Would love to see how he would do in some preseason games.

What a game this kid had tonight. Talk about Clutch!

We sure could use a spark like this.

i didnt hear any chatter about the Sabres and Gerbe at all (in the same context)either games.....anyone else? <_<

Neither did I. But they were sucking him off as much as they normally do Crosby or Ovechkin on VS. Which is a good thing if we dont F it up.

Thanks, I agree he is really good. I don't understand why he would stay at ESPN when they hardly ever show hockey. Does he do any teams regional broadcasts or is ESPN his only gig? I guess the better question would be: why does ESPN keep a hockey play by play guy around for the half dozen games they show a year?

I think he does a lot of baseball. He is really good though.

He was clearly the best hockey PbP man ESPN had, and he would be a huge addition to either NBC or Vs' coverage if they could pry him away.

ESPN also has him do a handful of college football games, and I think he also works baseball and the Little League World Series.

He was clearly the best hockey PbP man ESPN had, and he would be a huge addition to either NBC or Vs' coverage if they could pry him away.

ESPN also has him do a handful of college football games, and I think he also works baseball and the Little League World Series.

Isnt' he the voice of the Baltimore Orioles now?

It is a waste.

At least he would tell you who was carrying the puck....

My Gerbe hate has become mostly an act at this point, but my god has his run dating back to the start of the Hockey East tourney been amazing. Shorties, breakaways, absolute garbage goals... it doesn't matter, he keeps getting everything.

But anyway, having just gotten back from Denver, it still seems like he'll stay. I was around mostly BC fans all weekend and not makes it sound like he'll leave. Some are the random know-nothing fans, but others know far more than most. We'll see what happens, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say he stays for a Hobey run next year.

My Gerbe hate has become mostly an act at this point, but my god has his run dating back to the start of the Hockey East tourney been amazing. Shorties, breakaways, absolute garbage goals... it doesn't matter, he keeps getting everything.

But anyway, having just gotten back from Denver, it still seems like he'll stay. I was around mostly BC fans all weekend and not makes it sound like he'll leave. Some are the random know-nothing fans, but others know far more than most. We'll see what happens, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say he stays for a Hobey run next year.

i'll defer to your having been on the scene and on the pulse, shrader -- but i wouldn't be surprised to see him leave school to start his career. after three straight championship games (and a brass ring coming with the last) and his post-season dominance this year, there could be a sense of mission accomplished for the kid.

in his post-game interview (which caused him to miss the handshake line, it appeared (booo, espn!)) he said words to the effect of "who needs the hobey baker, i have a national championship." that does not sound like a guy who's fixing to come back so he can take an individual award.

one other thought: the reason(s) that gerbe didn't win the award this year could, imo, prevent him from winning it next year (i think how he's perceived had as much to do with his failure to win it this year as anything).

i'll defer to your having been on the scene and on the pulse, shrader -- but i wouldn't be surprised to see him leave school to start his career. after three straight championship games (and a brass ring coming with the last) and his post-season dominance this year, there could be a sense of mission accomplished for the kid.

in his post-game interview (which caused him to miss the handshake line, it appeared (booo, espn!)) he said words to the effect of "who needs the hobey baker, i have a national championship." that does not sound like a guy who's fixing to come back so he can take an individual award.

one other thought: the reason(s) that gerbe didn't win the award this year could, imo, prevent him from winning it next year (i think how he's perceived had as much to do with his failure to win it this year as anything).

Do you really expect a guy to say much different right after winning the national championship though? The Hobey run thing was my comment, not anyone else's. If he does have the desire to stay, there will be many more reasons than just that. Quite honestly, I think he would be better served to have one more year under Jerry York, clearly the best coach in the college game.

Character is one of the criteria for the Hobey, but that isn't what held Gerbe back. Porter was the favorite going in and the award was given to the right player. He had a more consistent season than Gerbe and was a clear leader on that team. Gerbe was a stat machine while he was on, but he was not the leader of that team.

Do you really expect a guy to say much different right after winning the national championship though?

Well, maybe -- he easily could've given a nod to the award being an honour to whomever receives it, but followed up by saying basically what he did say, that he's not about individual awards, he's about championships -- I dunno, there was something in his non-verbals that had me hearing "Man, Fugg the Hobey Baker" from him.

If he does have the desire to stay, there will be many more reasons than just that.

Is the high class tail that can be found only at a Jesuit university in the top 10? ;)

Quite honestly, I think he would be better served to have one more year under Jerry York, clearly the best coach in the college game.

I won't dispute that York's a terrific coach -- but I think Gerbe's done everything that he can do at the college level -- I'm anxious to see what he can do at the AHL (NHL?) level.

Character is one of the criteria for the Hobey, but that isn't what held Gerbe back. Porter was the favorite going in and the award was given to the right player. He had a more consistent season than Gerbe and was a clear leader on that team. Gerbe was a stat machine while he was on, but he was not the leader of that team.

Good points, all well taken -- I don't follow college hockey closely enough to say anything about any of that.

Archived