BC/ND

Strow

There is a problem when you have a prospect or multiple prospects that are tearing up College Hockey and there is an attitude surrounding the team of "Oh no this will cost us more money to sign him."

Instead of Great Prospect! Lets sign him to as long as the CBA will allow. When this kid is ripping it up in a couple of years we will have him locked for cheap!

That is a problem.

Gerbe's physical stature alone is enough for Darcy.

Not meant as a rant on Gerbe, he looks to be extremely gifted.

And thinking about it again, it's not even that our current team lacks size. Well, only in the "sack department" anyway.

Technically, I don't think you can, but I guess the ref was just as impressed as the crowd.

As far as I can see, both player and puck comes to a stop. If I'm not much mistaken, neither is allowed? Perhaps someone can clarify?

I don't know what the rule is in college hockey, but as long as he doesn't completely stop in the middle of the spin-o-rama, the NHL is OK with it.

(EDIT: Link to the NHL RuleBook page - I use a Firefox extension called PDF Download that gave me the option to download or open the PDF file in my PDF viewer, but it also lets me open the file as a html tab in Firefox, so I could easily copy & paste into here.)

From the NHL Rulebook, rule 25.2:

25.2 Procedure - The Referee shall ask to have announced over the public address system the name of the player designated by him or selected by the team entitled to take the shot (as appropriate). He shall then place the puck on the center face-off spot and the player taking the shot will, on the instruction of the Referee (by blowing his whistle), play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the goalkeeper.

The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent's goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.

The lacrosse-like move whereby the puck is picked up on the blade of the stick and "whipped" into the net shall be permitted provided the puck is not raised above the height of the shoulders at any time and when released, is not carried higher than the crossbar. See also 80.1.

The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360? turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion.

The lacrosse-like move whereby the puck is picked up on the blade of the stick and "whipped" into the net shall be permitted provided the puck is not raised above the height of the shoulders at any time and when released, is not carried higher than the crossbar. See also 80.1.

The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360? turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion.

That's really the rules? Fuggin Mickey Mouse...

Yeah is the lacrosse move mentioned by name?

The puck is clearly not moving toward the goal line.

I'm pretty sure this is not OK in the NHL or you would have seen Soupy out there trying this out.

It clearly is OK in the NHL. The rulebook explicitly says so. Follow the link to check it youself.

i understand concerns about his size - but there's no denying that there's a big fight in that little dog (and that the little dog is a fast, shifty playmaker).

color me intrigued, excited, and hopeful

Once you are as small or smaller than a St. Louis or a Briere or a Kane, does how small really matter? It is not like you are going to be out there to bang around, either you can handle the traffic and sidestep the hits or not.

i agreed on the fallacy of the 'how small' talk, X (just can't get the quote function to work on my mobile) - and, frankly, i feel as good or better about gerbe's 'smallness' as i would about paddy kane's - gerbe's strong on his skates (at least he is at ncaa level) and has a lot of (arguably too much) edge to him - my principal concerns are with his maturity and attitude (the most recent example being that nba-esque jersey-crest 'popping' he directed toward the opposing bench following goal 3 v. north dakota).

i agreed on the fallacy of the 'how small' talk, X (just can't get the quote function to work on my mobile) - and, frankly, i feel as good or better about gerbe's 'smallness' as i would about paddy kane's - gerbe's strong on his skates (at least he is at ncaa level) and has a lot of (arguably too much) edge to him - my principal concerns are with his maturity and attitude (the most recent example being that nba-esque jersey-crest 'popping' he directed toward the opposing bench following goal 3 v. north dakota).

i'd say Gerbe has had enough college by now, especially if they win tonite. Granted a deal of some sort would need to materialize. As far as his theatrics, I dont mind having alittle personality. Lindy would surely bench him if he gets out of line. We need passion and we pride ourselves on talent and playmakers.

I don't know who is announcing this game, but he is much better at play by play than anyone that Versus has put out there. As much as I hate ESPN, NHL will be a second tier league as long as it remains on the channel formerly know as outdoor life.

I don't know who is announcing this game, but he is much better at play by play than anyone that Versus has put out there. As much as I hate ESPN, NHL will be a second tier league as long as it remains on the channel formerly know as outdoor life.

Gary Thorne. He's ESPN's main hockey play-by-play guy....when they actually have hockey....and pretty much one of the best in the business.

Thanks, I agree he is really good. I don't understand why he would stay at ESPN when they hardly ever show hockey. Does he do any teams regional broadcasts or is ESPN his only gig? I guess the better question would be: why does ESPN keep a hockey play by play guy around for the half dozen games they show a year?

Thanks, I agree he is really good. I don't understand why he would stay at ESPN when they hardly ever show hockey. Does he do any teams regional broadcasts or is ESPN his only gig? I guess the better question would be: why does ESPN keep a hockey play by play guy around for the half dozen games they show a year?

I think he does a lot of baseball. He is really good though.

Archived