BC/ND

Strow

We'll see if he can turn down guaranteed millions (over the life of the deal).

You mean three years of $62,500? Even if by some chance he can overcome his size, there's going to be a steap learning curve, done primarily at the AHL level. If he signs now, he gets a 3 year deal, but if he waits until next year, its a 2 year deal. So most likely, he costs himself a year at that 62,5 figure.

You mean three years of $62,500? Even if by some chance he can overcome his size, there's going to be a steap learning curve, done primarily at the AHL level. If he signs now, he gets a 3 year deal, but if he waits until next year, its a 2 year deal. So most likely, he costs himself a year at that 62,5 figure.

<sigh> ... i need (more) cba and bean-counting education.

what's the deal here? if he were to play in roch...err, with the ahl club, he gets paid on the basis of $62.5k annually? and if he gets called up, then what? strikes me that he's going to command some upfront money, no? not an nfl-esque signing bonus, obviously ... but something.

and with that, i have expended all of my ignorance.

<sigh> ... i need (more) cba and bean-counting education.

what's the deal here? if he were to play in roch...err, with the ahl club, he gets paid on the basis of $62.5k annually? and if he gets called up, then what? strikes me that he's going to command some upfront money, no? not an nfl-esque signing bonus, obviously ... but something.

and with that, i have expended all of my ignorance.

Get called up and you get a 1200% raise. :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not every rookie signs a two way contract, is that not correct?

All entry level contracts are two way deals. The only way a rookie can sign a one way deal is if he is 25 or older.

Aud Smell, $62,500 is the maximum amount he can make in the minors while 850k is the max at the NHL level. I'm not all that up to date on how the bonuses work, but they are very limited and it seems like only the cream of the crop (the Crosby's and Ovechkin's of the world) get anything of value.

All entry level contracts are two way deals. The only way a rookie can sign a one way deal is if he is 25 or older.

What - like that Swedish guy everyone's bidding up? (He may actually be only 23.)

Aud Smell, $62,500 is the maximum amount he can make in the minors while 850k is the max at the NHL level. I'm not all that up to date on how the bonuses work, but they are very limited and it seems like only the cream of the crop (the Crosby's and Ovechkin's of the world) get anything of value.

Gotcha - I recall seeing deals for young guys being listed as ~$625,000/55,000 - and then that gets broken down on a per diem basis, I reckon, depending on where you are on a given day.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not every rookie signs a two way contract, is that not correct?

All entry level contracts under the new CBA are 2 way deals.

However, players on entry level contracts are some of the few that are allowed to receive bonuses. Gerbe could get a $255k signing bonus ($85k*3 years) if my quick review of the CBA isn't missing something and he would likely get the minor league maxed rookie contract of $62.5k.

He also could get performance bonuses as well for anything he accomplishes up with the Sabres but as Shrader mentioned those will likely be tough to earn. (Has to be at least in top 6 forwards in ice time, score 20 goals, 25 assists, 40 points, 0.73 ppg, top 3 among forwards in +/-, rookie all star team, named to all star game.) There are also leaguewide award bonuses available to rookies as well, but those are even tougher to reach.

What - like that Swedish guy everyone's bidding up? (He may actually be only 23.)

Gotcha - I recall seeing deals for young guys being listed as ~$625,000/55,000 - and then that gets broken down on a per diem basis, I reckon, depending on where you are on a given day.

If he's getting paid the NHL salary that counts against the cap and is accrued daily. Each day in the bigs, he gets ~187th of that salary. And the minor league salary is accrued daily as well on days he's not on an NHL roster.

Archived