Harry Neale

That Aud Smell

I looked for a Neale thread, but couldn't find one that survived the crash.

I posted a number of times earlier in the year that, while I missed Lorentz, I had a soft spot in my heart for Neale, and that just the sound of his voice was enough for him to get a passing grade from me (that was based mostly on my fondness for his past work on the CBC's HNIC) .

I can't remember which game it was, but there was a game recently in which Neale hadn't said anything for several minutes, notwithstanding the fact that much had been going on, and RJ actually said something like "chime in anytime, there, Harry", which prompted Neale to offer nothing more than some bland and begrudging feedback on the action.

It was legitimately weird. I chalked it up to Neale being too far past his prime to bring his A-game (I know there are those who think he never had one, or, if he did, it was a long time ago).

But I subsequently heard Neale's color during HNIC (must've been the Sabres v. Leafs?), and he sounded quite like his old self.

I guess what I'm saying is, I think I might buy a book of postage stamps and send them to Harry c/o Sabres management.

This is the first year I've really paid attention to Harry - I think the last time I remember him regularly (read: once every couple of weeks) was the time I had CBC as one of my stations in college.

I remember him as being a decent analyst and giving pretty good descriptions of who did what & why. But now, the most he contributes is various stats throughout the game and doesn't chime in enough with analysis while the play is going on. I think RJ says those "chime in whenever, Harry" comments in jest and to be fair, I remember him doing that while Lorentz was still in the booth.

I'd rather have Roby as the analyst than Harry. Even though he's a tad dramatic, Roby is very much like JL with the diagramming of the play and his descriptive calls. I thought JL was great during the shootouts (chiming in immediately after RJ's call of the goal or save) and good during the flow of play of giving analysis. As much as I love RJ's call of the game, I wouldn't mind getting descriptive analysis...something that Harry is lacking during the Sabres broadcasts.

I'd rather have Roby as the analyst than Harry. Even though he's a tad dramatic, Roby is very much like JL with the diagramming of the play and his descriptive calls. I thought JL was great during the shootouts (chiming in immediately after RJ's call of the goal or save) and good during the flow of play of giving analysis. As much as I love RJ's call of the game, I wouldn't mind getting descriptive analysis...something that Harry is lacking during the Sabres broadcasts.

You're right on...Roby is the man, he should be doing the color. I wonder if he was asked but declined because of the travel?

I don't particually like Harry doing the color, I think he's too bland and should go back to doing Leafs games. Also, I am getting sick of him calling Stafford "Strafford".

You know you're in Buffalo when you have two legendary hockey announcers in the both at the same time, and people bitch about it. Come down to Carolina, or get Center Ice and listen to another "local" team call a game. You'll think Neale can walk on water by the time the first period is over.

You know you're in Buffalo when you have two legendary hockey announcers in the both at the same time, and people bitch about it. Come down to Carolina, or get Center Ice and listen to another "local" team call a game. You'll think Neale can walk on water by the time the first period is over.

Chuck Kaiton on the radio is one of the best in the business.

You can always turn the sound down, as they love to say here.

For some reason, I used to be able to pick up his calls from Hartford years ago after 9 o'clock.

You'll think Neale can walk on water by the time the first period is over.

I disagree. Neale just doesn't have it anymore. I often picture RJ stepping into the booth, then the life-support technicians wheeling in a very lifeless Neale. They leave a tech in the booth to zap Harry with the resuscitation paddles every so often when a comment is needed. Harry comes too, reads the stats on the papers in front of him, then drifts off back to his coma.

Darryl Reaugh for the Dallas Stars, by contrast, is one of the most engaging color men in the league. He's young, knowledgeable, enthusiastic and a little goofy. I still don't like the Dallas Stars, but I enjoy watching a local game once in a while if only to get a dose of Reaugh. Yes, I know there are some dreadful color analysts out there, but Harry is quickly becoming one of them.

THeres a piece on youtube listing the 5 worst hockey announcers, and this jackass lists RJ....What the freak?! Granted we from WNY have an affinity for his colorful calls, but he can't be that bad from an outsider's perspective.

I love RJ, but his call is distinctive and polarizing. He either pulls you in or repels you. My wife can't stand him. So I can understand where the guy is coming from.

Yes, I know there are some dreadful color analysts out there, but Harry is quickly becoming one of them.

I love RJ, but his call is distinctive and polarizing. He either pulls you in or repels you. My wife can't stand him. So I can understand where the guy is coming from.

The problem is that most play by play men think they are color men now.

Half of them ignore play in the defensive zone, don't tell you who is lining up for faceoffs,

and ignore the puck carrier unless he is a regular scorer.

The problem is that most play by play men think they are color men now.

Half of them ignore play in the defensive zone, don't tell you who is lining up for faceoffs,

and ignore the puck carrier unless he is a regular scorer.

If speaking of VS would be

The problem is that most play by play men think they are color men now. Like, what was the color of that tablecloth at the press dinner last night?

Half of them ignore play in the defensive zone, don't tell you who is lining up for faceoffs, or totally miss the faceoff talking about this one time, at band camp...

and ignore the puck carrier unless he is a regular scorer. e.g How about that Malkin Crosby Ovechkin guy, that's next week on Versus, don't miss it, oh Sabres scored....

Neale would be a nice addition to VS but I don't think we'd get (or want) anyone in that trade.

Her cat got wet... :rolleyes:

**insert inappropriate sexual comment here** :unsure:

BTW Inky I think I will rewatch V.

?Remember, remember the fifth of November,

The gunpowder, treason and plot,

I know of no reason

Why gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot.?

THeres a piece on youtube listing the 5 worst hockey announcers, and this jackass lists RJ....What the freak?! Granted we from WNY have an affinity for his colorful calls, but he can't be that bad from an outsider's perspective.

He's great. He doesn't appeal to a category of (mostly) northeastern US fans whose teams get beat by Buffalo. His "scooooore" would be grating, if you continually were on the losing end of it, you have to admit. Actually, it annoys me.

But where Jeanneret excels is in describing a game. I've said it in other (possibly deleted) threads; I'll say it again: No one describes the action of a hockey game like he does. His verbs jump out and his inflection reflects the effort and speed in a play. He is the best play-by-play man I've ever heard in hockey. (And I've lived in a few places.)

Yo chz whats up w/ your signature?

From a character on "Are You Being Served?", a British sitcom. The character makes frequent references to her cat and is unaware of the innuendo in calling it a "."

Raucous hilarity ensues.

He's great. He doesn't appeal to a category of (mostly) northeastern US fans whose teams get beat by Buffalo. His "scooooore" would be grating, if you continually were on the losing end of it, you have to admit. Actually, it annoys me.

But where Jeanneret excels is in describing a game. I've said it in other (possibly deleted) threads; I'll say it again: No one describes the action of a hockey game like he does. His verbs jump out and his inflection reflects the effort and speed in a play. He is the best play-by-play man I've ever heard in hockey. (And I've lived in a few places.)

Taking a cue from Shrader's post in another thread, I'm replying to my own...but think about some different descriptions that RJ would make:

"Roy PICKS it up, SCOOPS it over to Vanek..." or

"Roy DIGS it out, SWEEPS it over to Vanek..."

OR

"Puck along the boards to Kalinin, he EASES it to Afinogenov," instead of

"Puck along the boards to Kalinin, he STOPS that and FIRES it to Gaustad..."

OR

"Kotalik, he CARRIES it over to Connolly," vs.

"Kotalik, he SLIDES it on over to Connolly."

We get to "see" the game in Buffalo even if we're in the car with the radio, because RJ makes it clear how a play happens. This really doesn't happen with every announcer out there. His goal celebrations aside (the worst were in the mid-90s), he really is the best play-by-play announcer out there.

Chuck Kaiton on the radio is one of the best in the business.

I completely disagree. I've heard this guy a few times while in the car and listening to the Sabres/Canes on Sirius a few years back and I couldn't understand a word he was saying. It sounded like he had a half of a sub lodged in his jowel while he was doing the play by play.

As for Harry Neale, I think he is just tired out from the long season. The guy is used to doing what? 1 game a week? He does make ya miss Lorentz though. Robitaille has only gotten more animated and ornery in his old age. I'd rather have him in the booth than HN. The split screen before the period starts with Ray, Roby, and Harry Neale is hilarious. The first two have a strong opinion and Neale chimes in with a "whatever they just said" answer. Can the guy be a little more animated?

I am no big Harry Neale fan but RJ tends to dominate the telecast because he is also doing radio. If you watch Harry do a HNIC game, there is more banter between Harry and whomever is calling the game. I like watching RJ because he does PBP where others tell a story totally unrelated to the play on the ice. Another guy who does good calling plays is the hated Jack Edwards. Edwards sneaks in totally one sided views but who doesn't.

When Roby is in the booth, they sneak in video driven analysis between face-offs. I like that but when the puck is dropped get all the video off the screen and get back to play. Of course, this is the first year RJ and Harry have worked together so maybe they are still feeling each others style oot.

I am gonna chime in... It really is an "old school" radio approach that I like.

I don't know where it is... I remember what Ronald Reagan (YES! Reagan!) said about doing radio and football games... You have to be the "eyes" for the person listening... and that has a lot to do with word choice!

RJ (yes, major homer) has that old school ability to literally get you to "see" the game as you hear it on the radio...

Something is being lost as time goes on... We are not the only ones noticing it by far!

I am so lucky that we have someone that can call a game... Many just can't... You really have to look past the homer stance he takes.

Look how Darling used to call a game!

Archived