Upcoming Free Agents

wonderbread

I don't think you can count them out on principle ... Darcy's posture that the UFA market is a losers market is not so far from wrong, you generally have to overpay bigtime. However, when he seems to have his eye on someone he'll move if the price is right...but don't look for a first pairing move.

If I remember correctly, DR has made only two moves in the free agent market, Teppo amd Spacek, and there are those, like myself, that'll tell you both were over paid and panic moves.

So what evidence is there that he'll move.

While I have thrown out the possiblity of a move or two this year, I'm with Inkman on this, history says he wan't do anything.

I tend to agree with inkman that the Sabres will not be big players in UFA. I don't have too much of a problem with that, but if they did nothing else, I would love for them to sign Liles. Liles is kind of like the Spacek signing. We signed Spacek to a deal about $700K less than what McKee got from St. Louis to replace McKee's roster spot. And, he was coming off an excellent playoff performance. Liles would be a similar type signing. We can get him for far less than what it would have taken to keep Campbell. And, he's very good offensively and better than Campbell defensively. That's why I'm such a huge fan of going after Liles, especially because he will fit the Sabres system, is very reasonable/affordable (will not kill the Sabres self-imposed cap), and will be a solid replacement for Campbell. We'll see if DR thinks the same way, but I hope so. I have no problem with Sekera being in the top 6 next year, but we do need a guy like Liles to replace Campbell and sort of Kalinin.

If I remember correctly, DR has made only two moves in the free agent market, Teppo amd Spacek, and there are those, like myself, that'll tell you both were over paid and panic moves.

So what evidence is there that he'll move.

While I have thrown out the possiblity of a move or two this year, I'm with Inkman on this, history says he wan't do anything.

While I take mild pleasure in you agreeing with me, I hardly think they overpaid for Teppo and certainly not for Spacek. He's the Sabres best defenseman.

While I take mild pleasure in you agreeing with me, I hardly think they overpaid for Teppo and certainly not for Spacek. He's the Sabres best defenseman.

First, i am not sure we disagree as much as you imply.

The first time they signed Teppo, it came after they lost out on both Jaro and Aucion to Chicago and, if you remember, they were taking a lot of heat for letting Zhitnik and Satan go for nothing and doing nothing to replenish line up. It was reported that their offer to Teppo was $1 million more than Dallas'.

With Spacek, apparently the only team that they were biddng against was Edmonton, and again there was a question as to how much Edmonton was willing to go. I'd say the jury is still out on him. Last year he started out flying than became a non-factor to the point of getting benched in playoffs. This year, he's been their best, but that may be by default.

There aren't a lot of UFA defensemen that would be reasonably priced so I wouldn't mind seeing Liles. Everyone always like the local guys including Aaron Miller, but he may too old and injury prone.

On the wing, I've always liked Brian Rolston from a system standpoint after playing in NJ and Minnesota, but we need to focus on D. Will Teppo be back? Should Teppo be back? They do need to sign Pratt. He has been solid.

I'd love to see Sean Avery in blue and gold. C/LW, has some skill, bangs, yaps, put him on a line with Mair and Kaleta and get out of the way.

Avery will not be priced like a fourth line player. He will go for second line prices. I, for one, hope never to see his smug ass in blue and gold. I get the feeling that he is the type of player who would -- if he knew he wouldn't be caught -- intentionally injure another team's player. Paetsch was down on the ice, possibly seriously injured (on a clean, but still dangerous hit), and he is laughing and celebrating. Look at Jagr, even he looks more concerned about Paetsch and he was the goal scorer.

Carter is a great young player. I wonder if he gets a Dustin Penner-like offer from someone.

I wonder if the Sabres...er...Larry Quinn...will hold true to his threats and sign every RFA Oiler this off season.

Pitkanen, Stoll and Nillsen (sp?) are all RFA. I could see a fit or two, but I doubt Larry holds true to his word.

I wonder if the Sabres...er...Larry Quinn...will hold true to his threats and sign every RFA Oiler this off season.

Pitkanen, Stoll and Nillsen (sp?) are all RFA. I could see a fit or two, but I doubt Larry holds true to his word.

I can't see anybody overpaying for Stoll or Pitkanen.

But Stoll would be nice to win a draw now and then.

Apparently, I'm the only one who feels they won't be players in the FA market, outside of the inconsequential back-up goalie.

Not true, I said I didn't necessarliy want any big names but then did just mention positions I could see us using help on.

Truth be told I would be awfully surprised if they did much in FA outside of backup goalie and journeyman defensemen... besides signing there own and that includes(Goose, kotalik, Miller, not sure about ryan however he may make a good two way contarct veteran for AHL affiliate if they have their own to stock.)

Miller is the first priority. Then our RFA's. After that I want a Defenceman or two who will stand up for his goalie, a backup goalie and someone who can win a faceoff. If we could steal Sean Avery or Chris Neill away it could be huge. Both players add a level of intesity and toughness to their teams and the records show the real imprtance of those player in the lineup.

As far as who would need to to get rid of, that would depend on what we get in return. Untouchables are Miller, Roy, Vanek, Paille, Stafford, Bernier, Hecth and our young defencemen(Sekera, Weber, Funk). I like what I've seen from them. I know I ask for alot but it can be done through FA and trades.

Biggest reason our FA moves will be limited this season:

Max - $3.3 Million through 2008-09

Timmy - $2.9 Million through 2008-09

Kotalik - $2.33 Million through 2008-09

Lydman - $2.875 Million through 2009-10

Tallinder - $2.562 Million through 2009-10

Finding buyers for any of these will be difficult because of their cap hits relative to performance. Ales is probably the best value, but I'm not sure we need/want to let him go. Max has some value, but it's still a tough sell. Timmy is too injury prone for anyone to take him at almost $3 Million. Neither Lydman, nor Tallinder has played well enough this season to justify these salaries. Without unloading one/some of these guys, finding room and cap space for signings will be tough. 2009-10 is a different story, but you have to deal with Pominville's and Miller's expected raises that season.

Miller is the first priority. Then our RFA's. After that I want a Defenceman or two who will stand up for his goalie, a backup goalie and someone who can win a faceoff. If we could steal Sean Avery or Chris Neill away it could be huge. Both players add a level of intesity and toughness to their teams and the records show the real imprtance of those player in the lineup.

As far as who would need to to get rid of, that would depend on what we get in return. Untouchables are Miller, Roy, Vanek, Paille, Stafford, Bernier, Hecth and our young defencemen(Sekera, Weber, Funk). I like what I've seen from them. I know I ask for alot but it can be done through FA and trades.

Pominville isn't on your list. He's definitely one of the untouchable players on this team.

Getting rid of Lydman alone would make this a successful offseason.

I know everyone has their whipping boys, but assuming Teppo retires and Kalinin is allowed to test the FA waters(both pretty good bets), that leaves you with...

Tallinder

Spacek

Weber

Paetsch

Sekera

Funk

Pratt(if he is re-signed)

Who are you bringing in because this blueline is not getting you to the playoffs.

I want a good back up goalie. Dan Elis is free agent 2.4 & .92 with Nashville, they're paying starter Chris Mason 3mill. Curtis Sanford with Vancouver FA 2.77 & .90. Maybe Sigalet or Lalime?

I'd want to keep Connolly, assuming his surgery goes well in the offseason, even though he's Mr Glass, at 3.5 million what he brings is worth it. Drop Max.

Edit: drop Teppo, bring back Soupy (5 at five anyone?) :blink:

Not a lot of quality on the UFA goalie market....some guys that could be decent/serviceable backups but no one I think is clear-cut the answer to the T-bo conundrum...

LINK - list obviously hasn't been updated in a while, since Bryzgalov is still listed as a potential UFA.

I want a good back up goalie. Dan Elis is free agent 2.4 & .92 with Nashville, they're paying starter Chris Mason 3mill. Curtis Sanford with Vancouver FA 2.77 & .90. Maybe Sigalet or Lalime?

What, do you have ties to Bowling Green or something? I never thought I'd ever see anyone seriously bring up Sigalet as an option here. He and Lalime have some serious health issues that I'd worry about before even considering them. Other than that, experience is a serious question mark for Sigalet and I'd much rather see the team go the experience route, even if it failed miserably with Thibault.

Not a lot of quality on the UFA goalie market....some guys that could be decent/serviceable backups but no one I think is clear-cut the answer to the T-bo conundrum...

LINK - list obviously hasn't been updated in a while, since Bryzgalov is still listed as a potential UFA.

This is also a pretty good reference for upcoming FA's...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=472296

Archived