Upcoming Free Agents

wonderbread

What, do you have ties to Bowling Green or something? I never thought I'd ever see anyone seriously bring up Sigalet as an option here. He and Lalime have some serious health issues that I'd worry about before even considering them. Other than that, experience is a serious question mark for Sigalet and I'd much rather see the team go the experience route, even if it failed miserably with Thibault.

Hedberg? at 3.30 and .896 steadier than T-boo?

Apparently, I'm the only one who feels they won't be players in the FA market, outside of the inconsequential back-up goalie.

Nope, I'm on your side with this, I doubt they bring in anyone besides a backup goalie. They never are very active in FA, and if they didn't feel a need last season after going to 2 straight ECF's and losing their top 2 players, why would they now? They didn't feel the need to upgrade anything for a playoff push this year, so they probably feel they are good enough with what they have.

What about Dube on the island. I know he doesnt get to play much because of DiPietro but I was impressed with what he did at the end of last year and in the series against us last year. I certainly think he would be an upgrade over tbo.

If he goes somewhwere, he goes to be a starter, not a backup

If he goes somewhwere, he goes to be a starter, not a backup

I know but I guess what I meant was that he is making 500k now and he is behind someone with a 15 yr contract. If the Sabres offer him a nice raise he may feel like going elsewhere, if there are no starter options available to him.

I know but I guess what I meant was that he is making 500k now and he is behind someone with a 15 yr contract. If the Sabres offer him a nice raise he may feel like going elsewhere, if there are no starter options available to him.

true, but theres always options for a starting job somewhere in the NHL

and its gotta be hard for a young goalie ending up in the Islanders system, knowing that you will be a backup until your contract is up and you can go elsewhere

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not sure backup goalie is going to be a priority. TBO didn't look great this year, but he didn't get much of a chance to show his stuff either. He's going to end up this year with 6 or 7 starts. I frankly doubt that any backup would look good after accumulating that much rust. I wouldn't be surprised if Lindy and Darcy recognize this and conclude that TBO is a serviceable backup who they can trust if Miller gets injured for any length of time.

Also: there is no way we are getting rid of Lydman.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not sure backup goalie is going to be a priority. TBO didn't look great this year, but he didn't get much of a chance to show his stuff either. He's going to end up this year with 6 or 7 starts. I frankly doubt that any backup would look good after accumulating that much rust. I wouldn't be surprised if Lindy and Darcy recognize this and conclude that TBO is a serviceable backup who they can trust if Miller gets injured for any length of time.

If we can lose 2 captains in one offseason dont tell me we cant find a way to lose lydman...What was it that Napolean said????

If we can lose 2 captains in one offseason dont tell me we cant find a way to lose lydman...What was it that Napolean said????

He's not a UFA. Why would Darcy trade him? Because he is Joe Sabres fan whipping boy? For better or worse, he'll be here at least until his contract expires.

But why is he only getting that many starts? Thats the real question. Its not that the team is doing so well right now because Miller has become the next Hasek.

To be honest, theres only 2 reasons that I can think of as to why they are not playing T-BO more. Its either because in the games he ahs played, he has been horrible (except for that Montreal game), or they are trying to push Miller hard to see if he could handle alot of games before they go and throw money at him before he becomes an UFA

Auld's 2.71 and .906, we may be saying "anythings better than T-boo"

His numbers are significantly better with Boston this year. The Phoenix stats weigh those down a bit. He's still pretty young too.

Hedberg? at 3.30 and .896 steadier than T-boo?

I'm not one of the people suggesting Hedberg. I'd like to see an experienced NHL backup, but yeah, you have to get some talent too. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe a young guy would want to step up and prove himself at the NHL level with limited playing time, but I'd rather go in a different direction.

But why is he only getting that many starts? Thats the real question. Its not that the team is doing so well right now because Miller has become the next Hasek.

To be honest, theres only 2 reasons that I can think of as to why they are not playing T-BO more. Its either because in the games he ahs played, he has been horrible (except for that Montreal game), or they are trying to push Miller hard to see if he could handle alot of games before they go and throw money at him before he becomes an UFA

I think it's because we are desperately trying to make the playoffs. Every point is critical, and a tired Miller gives us a better chance than a rusty TBO.

Remember: Conklin looked awful for the Sabres last year in very limited time too. Any goalie will tell you he needs playing time to get into the groove.

This is also a pretty good reference for upcoming FA's...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=472296

Yeah, see the thing is I'm kinda lazy, so I don't want to go through each team and make my own list. I want someone else to do the work for me - at least today, anyway. :thumbsup:

I was looking here:

NHLNumbers

MUCH better, thanks. I totally forgot that NHL Numbers had that feature.

Here's the UFA link for goalies, sorted by 07-08 salary: LINK

I think it's because we are desperately trying to make the playoffs. Every point is critical, and a tired Miller gives us a better chance than a rusty TBO.

Remember: Conklin looked awful for the Sabres last year in very limited time too. Any goalie will tell you he needs playing time to get into the groove.

Conklins time with the Sabres was much shorter then T-Bo's, and by the time Conklin came in, Miller was fairly rested because Biron had played in a bunch of games. Up to this point, the Sabres have not used T-Bo much at all, which is unlike last year where up until the trade deadline, they had Biron in alot of games. The playoff excuse might work now, but back in January and before, they could have played T-Bo alot more if they believed he was any good and not tried to wear Miller down so much

If you don't sign Kalinin. I think the best D men that would be okay in Buffalo and wouldn't break the bank:

Rosival - solid both ends- under-appreciated - upgrade from Kalinen

Lilja - good stay at home - decent size, would be an upgrade from Pratt

Liles - We'll see what the market for him becomes

I really don't like the rest of the value shopping out there.

Most of all I would like to see him make Rosival an offer, Liles next

If you don't sign Kalinin. I think the best D men that would be okay in Buffalo and wouldn't break the bank:

Rosival - solid both ends- under-appreciated - upgrade from Kalinen

Lilja - good stay at home - decent size, would be an upgrade from Pratt

Liles - We'll see what the market for him becomes

I really don't like the rest of the value shopping out there.

Most of all I would like to see him make Rosival an offer, Liles next

X, Rosival is exactly I was think they would go after. Besides everything else, he is a right handed shot which they really could use. The question is going to have to do with the market for d-man. There are those who now talk of $9 million per year when it comes to Campbell. If that is the case, I guy like Rosival could approach $5 million and there is no way they go there.

I also like Blue's idea with regards to Orpik.

Archived