The Season So Far......

bob_sauve28

Yes, the season has been a disappointment so far, but its had its real bright spots. What Sabre fan can't be happy about the promise of all these good young players emerging as solid players in the league?

Pominville is looking like the real deal

Hecht has improved into a solid two way player

Stafford will only get better and is obvioulsy a talented scorer

Paille is turning into a solid and formidable player right before our eyes

Bernier looks good so far and he is just a kid, we will see

Roy is awesome

Kaleta is awesome for different reasons

Kotalik, while winning the runner up to the most hated Sabre Award, had time to pump in over 20 goals. Not to shabby. Hate him if you want, but he does produce.

On defense:

Sakara looks great. Wonderful skater and he makes good decisions and he's 21 years old!

I'm not writing off this season yet, but just saying I like what I see for the future

We are also 3rd in the league in scoring, only 2 goals out of #1. I think Bmwolf (in a pre-apocalypse thread) recently pointed out how crappy our record is in low-scoring games. This, IMHO, reinforces the notion that we are very talented and just need more leadership/mental toughness so that we know how to win the tight ones. This might come from internal growth but I think we need to import some as well in the offseason.

For now, though, there's a playoff race to focus on...

Go Sabres.

We are also 3rd in the league in scoring, only 2 goals out of #1. I think Bmwolf (in a pre-apocalypse thread) recently pointed out how crappy our record is in low-scoring games. This, IMHO, reinforces the notion that we are very talented and just need more leadership/mental toughness so that we know how to win the tight ones. This might come from internal growth but I think we need to import some as well in the offseason.

Go Sabres.

Bmwolf pointed out how so many of our goals came in games like the last two nights. I will be interested to see how the young defenders hold up in a close pressure game like say against Boston or Ottawa. You are right on about the close games, that's been the problem, and those damn shoot outs!

Last year all the talk at this time was about first round opponents, the ugly PP, the President's Trophy, the lack of 60 minutes of hard play, injuries, etc..

This year, the race is more intense and exciting. Every shift, shot, goal allowed is much more important and compelling.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have last year's concerns; but, you have to admit these last two weeks are much more interesting/agonizing/exciting. The playoffs have already begun in Buffalo.

Last year all the talk at this time was about first round opponents, the ugly PP, the President's Trophy, the lack of 60 minutes of hard play, injuries, etc..

This year, the race is more intense and exciting. Every shift, shot, goal allowed is much more important and compelling.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have last year's concerns; but, you have to admit these last two weeks are much more interesting/agonizing/exciting. The playoffs have already begun in Buffalo.

This playoff race will go a long way to the maturing and building of character for this young team. Things came too easy over the past two seasons. Nothing builds character like adversity. I can't say they will make the playoffs or not. I can say I feel this team will be better for it win or lose.

Go Sabres.

The records in shootouts and close games comes back to the question if they have enough players with the talent to do it and the backbone to want it. We all know there are people that want the puck(ball) when the game is on the line and those that don't. That's were that veteran leadership comes in. Maybe they develop from within, maybe not.

This playoff race will go a long way to the maturing and building of character for this young team. Things came too easy over the past two seasons. Nothing builds character like adversity. I can't say they will make the playoffs or not. I can say I feel this team will be better for it win or lose.

True that, and not to mention that while it can be maddening it is also pretty exciting to mainly hear( or occasionly watch in my case) most of it unfold as the season winds down... I am really looking at what players are responding to the challenge and with a couple of tweaks I think we are seeing the nucleus for what will be a very good team in the future.... I would like to see this team make the playoffs w/ no expectations because i think they could really grow from that and I see Lindy having fun with the major underdog status all over again..

Lets face it any of you who have played hockey and been to the tournaments or on a road team know when you can bring a bunch of guy's together and get hot and/or lucky they can go pretty far and have some fun at the same time.....

For me, i'd still consider this season a success. Any other team who lost what we lost would have floundered horribly. We're right in the thick of it. On a side note, something clicked after that pittsburgh game. Whether it was the injuries, or the lack of passion and work ethic, something clicked. We've got the old lindy back, and we've got guys who are now doing what they have to to win. This is not a president's trophy team, but this season is far from being over and to have a final analysis written. Far far from over my friends.

For me, i'd still consider this season a success. Any other team who lost what we lost would have floundered horribly. We're right in the thick of it. On a side note, something clicked after that pittsburgh game. Whether it was the injuries, or the lack of passion and work ethic, something clicked. We've got the old lindy back, and we've got guys who are now doing what they have to to win. This is not a president's trophy team, but this season is far from being over and to have a final analysis written. Far far from over my friends.

I just hope it carries on. We have seen this team run off on long winning streaks before. They have done it this season and really are due for another one right now. Would be great timing, wouldn't it?

Yes, the season has been a disappointment so far, but its had its real bright spots. What Sabre fan can't be happy about the promise of all these good young players emerging as solid players in the league?

Pominville is looking like the real deal

Hecht has improved into a solid two way player

Stafford will only get better and is obvioulsy a talented scorer

Paille is turning into a solid and formidable player right before our eyes

Bernier looks good so far and he is just a kid, we will see

Roy is awesome

Kaleta is awesome for different reasons

Kotalik, while winning the runner up to the most hated Sabre Award, had time to pump in over 20 goals. Not to shabby. Hate him if you want, but he does produce.

On defense:

Sakara looks great. Wonderful skater and he makes good decisions and he's 21 years old!

I'm not writing off this season yet, but just saying I like what I see for the future

The only two points that I question are...

1.Stafford's play has been so lackluster that I'm no longer sure what his potential is. Prior to this season, I thought he'd top out at 30-40 goals and 65+ points. Now I'm not sure. I know that he is young and this is his 1st full season, so hopefully he comes back next year with a vengeance.

2. Kotalik is one of those guys who you look at his stats and wonder why is isn't in higher demand. It's because his game is about as one dimensionable as it gets. He is a giveaway machine, has no desire to drive to the net, has some games where he hits and an equal number where he does nothing and 23 of his 41 points have come on the PP. Hopefully some GM will look at his stats without watching tape of him.

I still think the Sabres need to dump 2 of the following 3 players(Connolly, Max & Kotlaik) in order to improve bigger needs and provide salary cap relief.

2. Kotalik is one of those guys who you look at his stats and wonder why is isn't in higher demand. It's because his game is about as one dimensionable as it gets. He is a giveaway machine, has no desire to drive to the net, has some games where he hits and an equal number where he does nothing and 23 of his 41 points have come on the PP. Hopefully some GM will look at his stats without watching tape of him.

I have never really fully understood the complaints about Kotalik.

I think mostly its because fans see his frame and think he should play like Kevin Stevens or Gary Roberts.

That's not his game. But with the league abandoning its commitment to 5x5 play - a big pp shot and

a reliable guy in shootouts isn't a bad guy to have on the roster.

I have never really fully understood the complaints about Kotalik.

I think mostly its because fans see his frame and think he should play like Kevin Stevens or Gary Roberts.

That's not his game. But with the league abandoning its commitment to 5x5 play - a big pp shot and

a reliable guy in shootouts isn't a bad guy to have on the roster.

I think that's part of it, but we've also seen him play like Stevens and Roberts at different times - especially in the playoffs - and we wonder why he doesn't play like that all the time.

1.Stafford's play has been so lackluster that I'm no longer sure what his potential is. Prior to this season, I thought he'd top out at 30-40 goals and 65+ points. Now I'm not sure. I know that he is young and this is his 1st full season, so hopefully he comes back next year with a vengeance.

I still think the Sabres need to dump 2 of the following 3 players(Connolly, Max & Kotlaik) in order to improve bigger needs and provide salary cap relief.

Not sure if there are many teams that are going to want to pay their salaries for the production they give..Otherwise I agree..The Sabres are learning to move on without Connoly playing....

Go Sabres.

My one question about the leadership thing is if those guys were such great leaders, how come no one learned from them?

Not sure if there are many teams that are going to want to pay their salaries for the production they give..Otherwise I agree..The Sabres are learning to move on without Connoly playing....

Problem is none of those guys are leaving. Darcy has shown an ineptitude or unwillingness to be pro-active so unless it's a salary cap move that is forced no one is going anywhere.

My one question about the leadership thing is if those guys were such great leaders, how come no one learned from them?

Leadership isnt learned..You have it..You are the type of person that will go out and do it instead of waiting for someone else to.. When a person is having a tough time you can put your arm around him pick him up or kick him in the pants to get him goin..A good leader knows how and when to lead..You have the ability to lead or you dont..If you have it then being around a leader who has been doing it for awhile is how you grow into it...Just because you lead doesnt always make you a TEACHER....

Leadership isnt learned..You have it..You are the type of person that will go out and do it instead of waiting for someone else to.. When a person is having a tough time you can put your arm around him pick him up or kick him in the pants to get him goin..A good leader knows how and when to lead..You have the ability to lead or you dont..If you have it then being around a leader who has been doing it for awhile is how you grow into it...Just because you lead doesnt always make you a TEACHER....

No offense, but that's a bunch of BS. If that was the case, why didn't a guy like Dan Paille, who captained Canada's world junior team, pick up anything from them?

No offense, but that's a bunch of BS. If that was the case, why didn't a guy like Dan Paille, who captained Canada's world junior team, pick up anything from them?

Experience can make a player more confident and they can learn leadership techniques, but there are definitely people who are inherently better leaders than others. However, at each new level, those players have to be comfortable with their position at that level to take control and they have to have earned a level of respect from those they mean to lead. For example, Derek Roy was captain of the Kitchner Rangers and may someday (possibly soon) be the Captain of this team. However, he had not established himself yet as a top player and the team wasn't ready to look accept him in such a role yet. True leaders can likely be such at all levels, but that doesn't mean they can do it on day one.

Experience can make a player more confident and they can learn leadership techniques, but there are definitely people who are inherently better leaders than others. However, at each new level, those players have to be comfortable with there position at that level to take control and they have to have earned a level of respect from those they mean to lead. For example, Derek Roy was captain of the Kitchner Rangers and may someday (possibly soon) be the Captain of this team. However, he had not established himself yet as a top player and the team wasn't ready to look accept him in such a role yet. True leaders can likely be such at all levels, but that doesn't mean they can do it on day one.

I agree, it's a combination. Someone who thinks he is a leader but still a jacka$$ (aka Lindros with Philly comes to mind, never lead any other team after) doesn't necessarily bring a team together to the cup, A Ron Francis type does and only after he had put in alot of time.

Archived