Chris Simon Cheapshot on Hellweg... WOW!

Two or less

:sick:

That was as ugly an attack as I've seen. That right there is nothing short of assault, and Simon should be banned from the league.

The NHL needs to make a statement now, and the league should throw down the gauntlet to the players by hitting Simon with a long-term suspension/banning (hey Ace & Gary - err, Gary & Colin - - that means more than 3, 4, 5 games, a-holes.) :censored:

Well, the NHL wanted to get attention on ESPN and now they've got it for all the wrong reasons. My guess is that Simon gets 5-6 games which will do absolutely nothing to curb the junk that's been happening the past month.

Chrissy Simon proves once again that he is, plain and simple, a goon.

I wonder if Teddy even bothers trying to defend him. Aren't they both part of the same indian tribe or nation? That the only reason i can think he will obther defending him. That has to be the most disgusting cheapshot since Bertuzzi's. Anything short of 20 games is a injustice. There was intent to injure, there was malice, and there was hate in that swing. 20+ games or that player need to sue the NHL and the NHLPA imo

Why should we expect Colon Campbell to decide to start doing his job now? If you're Chris Simon you just point to the standard already set by the league. The league has already deemed plays like that legal. Hell, Bertuzzi only got 20 games for what he did to Steve Moore. :bag:

Just saw it...the NHL is completely out of control now, they had a chance to change and they are still stuck in the cave. I'm stilled PO'd that the goon Neil is out there skating around. The NHL gets airtime on ESPN..."Big News In The NHL"---another out of control thug commits an assault that would land him in the jug on the street. Makes the NHL and it's fans look dumb :bag:

the worst is the assclowns on the bottom of the page that commented that it was a clean hit by simon... can we take those people out back and shoot them (in the leg).

It was a clean hit by Hollweg on Simon, but Simon's stick-swat is indefensible. My initial reaction was a 10-game suspension, but I'd be shocked if the NHL did that.

Barry Melrose says Simon should be done for the year....now THAT would get people's attention.

It was a clean hit by Hollweg on Simon, but Simon's stick-swat is indefensible. My initial reaction was a 10-game suspension, but I'd be shocked if the NHL did that.

Barry Melrose says Simon should be done for the year....now THAT would get people's attention.

The bigger joke with this league would be if he comes back just in time for the Isles in the playoffs... If they do in fact make it in...

Playoffs?... Perfect time for the games to tighten up/trap down, refed with a blind eye, while the goons roam around!

Chris Simon needs a rest Mr. Campbell! Just in time if the Isles make it in to the postseason!

<_< <_<

They should suspend him for the rest of this season and the whole next one as well. That would be a clear statement. Anything less will just encourage these types of retaliations, and perhaps worse, contribute to the decline of the NHL, which is approaching a crises level in many areas.

I bet the NHL actually does something (20 games, which still isn't enough) because there was no "hockey move" involved in hacking the face wiith the composite shaft of the stick. They'll call nearly any check legal, but this isn't even close.

That craven act by Simon was pre-meditated with the intent of injuring. There is zero "gray area" in this incident. Simon was upset he got cleanly jammed into the plexi and he retaliated with a swing to the throat/head area.

To me, the fact that Hollweg is OK is meaningless. Simon crossed the line and was looking to use his stick like a weapon to injure. We know that some guys will definitely push the envelope on their checks to attempt to maybe "send a message" and those fall into the gray area. Simon going Ichiro on Hollweg's throat was borderline criminal. Simon better hope Hollweg doesn't break hockey code and press charges on that one.

If that incident happened in a bar or on the street, Simon would be staking bail this morning. And did anyone hear Simon's response after the game? Not a single word of contrition or concern for Hollweg. This guy has a track record of playing outside the lines. The piece of garbage should be done for this season and the first 10 games of next season.

I'm with Spandrel. Whether the Ranger is OK is a moot point. I agree with some others that the action crosses the line into a criminal act. Personally, I'd throw the guy out of the game. I was in the minority that defended the Neil hit, but I agree with the consensus now that the league has reached a critical juncture here. Be prepared to be disappointed, hockey fans.

That's a felony.

Maybe, but not on the ice. This isn't an attack on you, niagara66, but it drives me nuts when people try to bring in legal charges in cases like this. It wasn't necessary to charge Marty McSorley with some silly battery charge and it's not necessary to charge Simon with something similar.

This is just an on-ice situation and should stay that way.

I thought after reading the comments hear it was going to be much worse. He basically clotheslined the guy with his stick. To use a baseball analogy like everyone else, the swing was more of a bunt then a homerun swing. I'm more desturbed by the fact that everyone was too busy trying to get in the circle going after Simon then to check on the guy lying flat on his face on the ice not moving. You would think atleast one guy would be over checking on the player that isn't moving.

Simon definitly deserves a suspension and will probably get one, but since the other player is fine and not going to miss time (and is not a star on a big market team) He won't even get 20 games, maybe 10-15

I am in no way defending Simon for what he did, it was a blatant shot with intent to injure, but I can see why he'd be piseed getting hit from behind with his head down straight into the glass, I'd be pissed too. Although it was his fault for putting himself in a position like that.

Maybe, but not on the ice. This isn't an attack on you, niagara66, but it drives me nuts when people try to bring in legal charges in cases like this. It wasn't necessary to charge Marty McSorley with some silly battery charge and it's not necessary to charge Simon with something similar.

This is just an on-ice situation and should stay that way.

I kind of see your point, but what he did has no place on the ice, and is not something that is normally allowed under the rules of the league.

Archived