Chris Simon Cheapshot on Hellweg... WOW!

Two or less

Notice the progression here - a questionable hit on Drury, the hit on Kaberle in which the actual hit was ok by league standards, just not the timing, to this.

Had Neil (who publicly acknowledged an intent to injure btw) drawn a stiff fine and suspension (say 5 games and $10k), we may not be where we are now on this.

The NHL needs to take a cue from the NFL regarding these cheapshots. At times the NFL is overbearing, but it sure as hell cuts down on the incidents.

Notice the progression here - a questionable hit on Drury, the hit on Kaberle in which the actual hit was ok by league standards, just not the timing, to this.

Had Neil (who publicly acknowledged an intent to injure btw) drawn a stiff fine and suspension (say 5 games and $10k), we may not be where we are now on this.

The NHL needs to take a cue from the NFL regarding these cheapshots. At times the NFL is overbearing, but it sure as hell cuts down on the incidents.

chris neil could have gotten 50 games, that would not have stopped what Simon did last night. I feel as though I can somehow justify just about anything a hockey player does on the ice b/c of the competition, pressure, etc. that is until you use the stick as a weapon.

what he did last night was absurd - in a 1-1 hockey game, in a playoff-type atmosphere and in retaliation to a relatively light and legal hit. I think the NHL stands up on this one and gets rid of him the remainder of the season and the playoffs.

Maybe, but not on the ice. This isn't an attack on you, niagara66, but it drives me nuts when people try to bring in legal charges in cases like this. It wasn't necessary to charge Marty McSorley with some silly battery charge and it's not necessary to charge Simon with something similar.

This is just an on-ice situation and should stay that way.

I hear ya and I generally agree. The thing is, the Drury hit, the Kaberle hit...they were arguably part of the game. While late and cheap, both were checks.

I like a good hockey fight/big hit as much as the next guy but this is different. Using the stick as a weapon to deliberately slash someone in the face is not part of the game of hockey (See highsticking, cross checking, slashing). This was no accidental high stick, this guy gripped it with both hands and swung for the face. Then kicked the stick out of his unconscious hand as he skated by. He's lucky he caught it on the chin instead of the windpipe.

I agree that criminal charges should not be filed because where would that stop? Guys leaving in cuffs instead of going to the penalty box? Ridiculous. This guy's dangerous though, and the league should ban him, or at least suspend him for a long time.

Maybe, but not on the ice. This isn't an attack on you, niagara66, but it drives me nuts when people try to bring in legal charges in cases like this. It wasn't necessary to charge Marty McSorley with some silly battery charge and it's not necessary to charge Simon with something similar.

Legal charges should be brought if the league is allowing stuff like this.

If this on the ice situation happened in any amateur leages it would be a legal issue so i don't undertsand how it should be any different in the NHL. An intent to injure no longer falls within the lines of an on ice situation, in fact this incident in my mind was an intent to kill. You just don't slash someone in the throat, just like you dont kick a guy in the junk in a fight. If someone gets pissed enough to try to kill someone they should be out of the league period.

If this on the ice situation happened in any amateur leages it would be a legal issue so i don't undertsand how it should be any different in the NHL. An intent to injure no longer falls within the lines of an on ice situation, in fact this incident in my mind was an intent to kill. You just don't slash someone in the throat, just like you dont kick a guy in the junk in a fight. If someone gets pissed enough to try to kill someone they should be out of the league period.

That was precisely what I was thinking. I thought the NHL had managed to get past this crap.

I'm convinced that ESPN can't get enough of these "lowlights" that paint the league as goonish thuggery. Thanks, Chris for helping 'em out with further creating that impression. It is crap like this that continues to dig the NHL's grave when it comes to national exposure.

The NHL is suffering from "NFL Offensive Linemen Syndrome". The only time you hear about them is when they are getting penalized. :angry:

Smashing a guy in the back of the skull with a hard piece of lumber is "silly"? You're saying if a person physically assaults someone at the workplace, that it's none of law enforcements business? So if you are at your office, and someone smashes you in the head with a chair and knocks you out, charges shouldn't be filed? If these thugs knew they could be arrested would they continually assault their co-workers?

I hear everyone on talk radio comparing it to Bertuzzi's hit, but to me, I would compare it more to Dale Hunter's cheap shot on Pierre Turgeon in the '93 playoffs. Dale Hunter gave up the puck in his zone and Turgeon scored and Hunter retaliated with the blindside shot.

In Bertuzzi's case, I don't think his intent was to drive Moore's head into the ice. I think that he wanted to sucker-punch him, but I think that the way circumstances played out, Moore had his head driven into the ice.

I don't think that Bertuzzi would have considered the 1 in 20 possibility that he would ride Moore's head into the ice when he decided to sucker-punch him. I think he figured that he'd just pop him and then they'd pair off. In Simon's case, the expected INTENT of clotheslining a defenseless skater with your skater is to cause severe injury. That is why I think Simon could/should receive a 1-year suspension. Dale Hunter got 21 and his intent was just to "knock a defenseless Turgeon down". Simon's intent was much more nefarious.

I think that the league has to consider Simon's intent in assessing his penalty. If he is capable of snapping and intending grave injury on the ice, he can not be allowed to play again. He is a legitimate danger to other skaters in the league.

I think that the league has to consider Simon's intent in assessing his penalty. If he is capable of snapping and intending grave injury on the ice, he can not be allowed to play again. He is a legitimate danger to other skaters in the league.

I think this sums it up perfectly, he actuallly snapped and acted out violently, which has no place in any organized sport.

Suspension announced.... but not really. Simon gets an indefinite ban until a hearing can be held. No idea when that hearing will be.

Sounds like we are down to either out until the playoffs or done for the season..

How many more guys have to get hurt before this league and its scumbag leadership recognized that there is a serious problem in the NHL with cheapshots and headshots? I know this isn't the same thing as the hit on Drury or whatever, but here we have yet another disgusting incident. Suspending Simon should only be the beginning, this needs to lead to a league-wide forum and the set up of mandatory minimum suspensions IMO. And if anyone says it's not that bad because Hollweg didn't get hurt that badly, you are ignorant because whether the guy was badly injured or not, there's no place for that kind of thing. They should treat it as if he was injured for the long term.

Simon should be done until October, but remember, this happened in NY. Does the NHL have the nads to suspend a player from such a big market team for too long, especially a team right in their back yard fighting for the playoffs? You know, Colon and Carrie have to think about their well-being, seeing how their office's are so close to the fans of such team. If they suspend Simon for too long, some of the crazy NYC fans might retaliate against them. I actually think this is some of the crap these two asshats take into consideration when struggling to come up with what should be a decision my 4 year old daughter could make.

Simon should be done until October, but remember, this happened in NY. Does the NHL have the nads to suspend a player from such a big market team for too long, especially a team right in their back yard fighting for the playoffs? You know, Colon and Carrie have to think about their well-being, seeing how their office's are so close to the fans of such team. If they suspend Simon for too long, some of the crazy NYC fans might retaliate against them. I actually think this is some of the crap these two asshats take into consideration when struggling to come up with what should be a decision my 4 year old daughter could make.

First of all, it's ludicrous to suggest that the Islanders fans will retaliate against the NHL.....some of them have been suggesting that he be suspended for a full calendar year, so I don't see how they'll "retaliate" against Campbell/Bettman. Even so, there hasn't even been a hint of anyone coming close to defending Simon's action.

Also, this stick-swat is much different than the hits by Neil or Janssen....those hits were hockey checks, not taking your stick and swinging it at someone's head. This should have a Bertuzzi-type, long-term suspension attached to it. This is the type of action that nobody - even an on-ice enforcer - should ever want to see.

Simon should be suspended for as long as the Islanders are playing this year, regardless of where his team is located.

Archived