Chris Simon Cheapshot on Hellweg... WOW!

Two or less

First of all, it's ludicrous to suggest that the Islanders fans will retaliate against the NHL.....some of them have been suggesting that he be suspended for a full calendar year, so I don't see how they'll "retaliate" against Campbell/Bettman. Even so, there hasn't even been a hint of anyone coming close to defending Simon's action.

Also, this stick-swat is much different than the hits by Neil or Janssen....those hits were hockey checks, not taking your stick and swinging it at someone's head. This should have a Bertuzzi-type, long-term suspension attached to it. This is the type of action that nobody - even an on-ice enforcer - should ever want to see.

Simon should be suspended for as long as the Islanders are playing this year, regardless of where his team is located.

First off, read the first line in my post. I also never knew that all 2,000 Islander fans were so perfect, even you used the word "some". There are nutty fans in every city, I don't know what fantasy world you live in. Get a grip dude. Have you ever heard of sarcasm? If you knew anything about the NHL, you would know that they take these type of cheapshots way too lightly.

I bet the NHL actually does something (20 games, which still isn't enough) because there was no "hockey move" involved in hacking the face wiith the composite shaft of the stick. They'll call nearly any check legal, but this isn't even close.

I agree. No hockey move, absolute intent to harm, the NHL will do the right thing here and Simon won't play again this year. Bad news is that this won't change their poor judgement on checks to the head.

That's a felony.

in the words of lindy:"thats a joke! thats an absolute joke is what it is.i want him fined i want him suspended"

1 to 2 years i think

that guys a :censored: piece a :censored: and i want him outta the league theres no time for a guy like that in this league.

i think he should be hit by cambell

I think he should get the whole rest of the season + playoffs, and then some.

What I'd like to add to what people have already said, though, is that while it does put a black eye on the NHL, why do other sports like the NFL and NBA get a pass or legitimacy granted when they are just as violent with less justification? I'm thinking of the Haynesworth head-stomping and several other similar occasions, or the Artest fight. It seems like all of pro sports -- excepting baseball, perhaps, which seems to have a more genteel sense of payback -- and definitely all contact sports have one of these big violent run-ins every 2 years.

All I can come up with is this:

If you are a high paid athlete, you can pretty much do whatever the f*ck you want.

If you get caught doing illegal drugs = 4 - 10 game suspension in any sport. If I get caught at work, making tons less money, pissing dirty, = longer suspension, probable rehab or loss of job most likely.

If your a professional athlete and you assualt a fellow league member = some sort of suspension, maybe. If I assault someone at work, I'm going to jail with no questions asked and no passing go etc.

What gives these a-holes the right to get away with it?

Not to mention the obscene lawyer fees we have to pay. Something is wrong with this society, but I see no change coming and we keep paying for all these expensive sports.

Vent, vent, vent............

Maybe, but not on the ice. This isn't an attack on you, niagara66, but it drives me nuts when people try to bring in legal charges in cases like this. It wasn't necessary to charge Marty McSorley with some silly battery charge and it's not necessary to charge Simon with something similar.

This is just an on-ice situation and should stay that way.

Yeah. When that hockey dad killed the other dad it was "just an on-ice situation". :doh:

Maybe, but not on the ice. This isn't an attack on you, niagara66, but it drives me nuts when people try to bring in legal charges in cases like this.

People should be held accountable for their actions. I have zero problem with someone committing assault and battery being duly charged.

Archived