To everyone who said this team is soft....

Wraith

Kaleta in the lineup did change things a bit. Even if he lost his first fight and flew into the boards alone a few times. It was a great message to send the league. They CAN show up like this with the right mix of guys, but to be honest they don't every night. I guess it takes such a dramatic cheap shot on Drury plus a laundry list of injuries to do it.

Emery, in his postgame interview just said the following regarding his fight with Peters.

"I got up and saw him just sort of standing there looking stupid. He looked like he wanted to grab something."

I hate Ray Emery, but that is a hilarious quote.

he also called our goons "meatballs".

Say what you want about emery, but he's a character... He had a mike tyson mask a couple years ago and was "suggested" to not wear it anymore. He does suck in the playoffs though

I think Emery is a cool cat. That was classic. Poor Marty!

you could tell that emery was holding back... he knows his spot, so did biron. All in all, the goalie fight was a sideshow... the real deal was the almost destruction of bryan murrayby lindy ruff and his boy rob ray

Anybody need any more proof?

Everyone who said it should be ashamed of themselves.

Maybe if the Sabres initiated hits that like once in a while, I'd say they weren't soft. We are always responding, that's the problem. What was so great about the response anyway? Peters fought their goalie, and didn't do any damage. Mair swung on Spezza. Big deal. Did they go after Neil the rest of the game? No.

Maybe if the Sabres initiated hits that like once in a while, I'd say they weren't soft. We are always responding, that's the problem. What was so great about the response anyway? Peters fought their goalie, and didn't do any damage. Mair swung on Spezza. Big deal. Did they go after Neil the rest of the game? No.

although a valid observation, I would say they needed to lay off Neil. They are already short guys, had guys thrown out, had Drury out w/ an injury... If they go after Neil then maybe more injuries occur, or suspensions get handed out.

Revenge is best serve cold. Neil didn't need to get his tonight. There are more nights to come. There is one coming up in two days.

You don't "go after" guys in the third period of a close game late in the season, especially within your own division. You get the 2 points, which is what the Sabres did. Let's not lose sight of what's important.

You don't "go after" guys in the third period of a close game late in the season, especially within your own division. You get the 2 points, which is what the Sabres did. Let's not lose sight of what's important.

crap... I was going to lead w/ that paragraph and I forgot. Thanks for picking me up.

im not sure i follow...

you want us to act like goons and hit the other team for no reason. then were no better then the teams that are at the bottom of the league and all they can do is cheap shot the other team because they cant beat them on the board. we dont need to injure the other team to have a quality response - we showed that hitting our capitan late isnt acceptable and that we will respond by getting after their skill guys.

usually im with ya PA, but this time ill have to disagree

Did Neil square up with Peters or Mair? No, he blind-sided Drury. It was the response-in-kind that sent the message. That's the "great" thing about the message. A goon fighting a goon really doesn't send the message. Cheap-shot our stars and we'll cheap-shot yours sends a message.

And by the way, it's interesting to note in the last few games, Lydman, Hecht, and Campbell all took up the challenge of a fight. When the Ottawa skill players were offered the same challenge tonight, they turtled, except for Emery, who was basically hung out to dry by his teammates when Peters went after him.

Totally agree. They responded to the the hit, then finished off the game, which is exactly what they needed to do. Huge kudos to the guys.

Mair had a late hit like that against the bruins in mid-january, and I didn't like that one either. It's a dirty play, no matter how you slice it, and IMHO dirty plays have no bearing on whether or not a team is soft. Did Neil's hit tonight make the sens not "soft"? What exactly is "soft"? Is it taking cheap shots? Or is it playing by the rules and responding forcefully when someone takes cheap shots at you? Do the sens have heart? mental toughness? are they going to advance in the playoffs EVER? Which team tonight seemed to you more gutsy, tough, and apt to advance in the playoffs?

Neil will get his. In the meantime I thought the sabres' response was outstanding.

Mair had a late hit like that against the bruins in mid-january, and I didn't like that one either. It's a dirty play, no matter how you slice it, and IMHO dirty plays have no bearing on whether or not a team is soft. Did Neil's hit tonight make the sens not "soft"? What exactly is "soft"? Is it taking cheap shots? Or is it playing by the rules and responding forcefully when someone takes cheap shots at you? Do the sens have heart? mental toughness? are they going to advance in the playoffs EVER? Which team tonight seemed to you more gutsy, tough, and apt to advance in the playoffs?

Neil will get his. In the meantime I thought the sabres' response was outstanding.

I remember that hit, it was to the side of the Bruins net, after the play was stopped. Mair said he expected the Bruins to retialiate, and they didn't. The Sabres were in their slump at that time, and I think he was trying to start a fight to stir things up.

I love Ray Emery. He is funny and has some wits about him. I respect him for not pounding Marty into next week like he could of. Too bad he can't tend goal worth a crap. At least he is having fun at sucking in goal. I wish he was the goalie for every team the Sabres faced this year. Good guy, horrible goaltender. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sabres grabbing him and putting him on the 4th line. He's a better fighter than goalie as we all found out.

Oh Pa Sabres fan, come on. For a guy with such enlightened comments....usually....you didn't see the value in that response?

That reminded me of 70's, early 80's hockey. Right or wrong, take down our best guy, you pay. I lived in Calgary in the 80's and hated the Oilers and especially Gretzky. But, you didn't so much as breathe on Gretz without answering to Semenko and company.

I'm telling you, when Lindy put out Mair, Peters and Kaleta against the wuss line of Ottawa, I saw all you folks stand up in the arena, and the energy was amazing. Freakin' AMAZING!!

I could feel it here in Regina. i went to work and had about 5 shots to settle down. I was ready to knock someone out.

What was great about that response? That team just bonded like you can't believe, forget Chris Neil. Stafford went after him. The whole team looks at that and I can't even describe the emotion. I can feel it, I've been there.

Biron goes after Emery?! He knew he'd lose, Emery loves boxing, and by the way, showed a lot of class by not pummelling Marty when he had him down. But, the most important thing is that Marty did it. Just like Hecht the other day, Campbell the other day, Stafford last night.

what a team, and to win on top of it with a ton of rookies? Oh my freakin god. Never been prouder to be a Sabres fan.

P.S. Bunch of Leaf fans in the bar tonight absolutely loved what Buffalo did. Man, we all talked about it. Game of the year, EASILY.

Spezza and Heatley don' t have the nodes to man up when called upon. I told my son, sometimes you have to man up, even when you know you won't win the fight. It's called pride .

Couldn't agree more Rickshaw. I try to teach my boys...you don't fight a lot, you use your brain to decide when you need to fight, and the outcome doesn't matter. Sometimes, it's better to lose, but in a way, even if you do lose, you win.

In a dream scenario, I would have onr of our guys thump Neil and then at some point during the game destroy one of their star players with a clean hit. Given the circumstances, I thought the bloys did alright. Peters needs to learn better judgement. His fists could have been better served later in the game against Neil or whomever. I guess that will have to wait until Saturday. ;)

you want us to act like goons and hit the other team for no reason.

Peresonally I'd like the Sabres to hit the other team with reason.

then were no better then the teams that are at the bottom of the league and all they can do is cheap shot the other team because they cant beat them on the board.

I can think of a dozen good teams that play extremely physical.

we dont need to injure the other team to have a quality response - we showed that hitting our capitan late isnt acceptable and that we will respond by getting after their skill guys.

Agreed.

Right or wrong, take down our best guy, you pay.

How did the Senators pay? I find it laughable the idea that word is spreading this morning around the NHL that you don't mess with the Buffalo Sabres. Again, unless Daniel Alfredsson is eating his oatmeal on Sunday morning through a straw, color me not impressed. This is a dirty, nasty, filthy sport where everyone is gunning for the wounded front runner. It's the law of the jungle out there, and the weak get hunted. Sorry to mix my metaphors so early in the morning, but what the Sabres need is frontier justice. An eye for an eye... OK, I'll stop. :)

PA - I understand what you are saying. You are right the Sens were not really made to pay a price last night. BUT, regardless of your view of what happened on the ice the Sabres did at least respond.

I'm with you, in that I wish we did initiate the physical activity more often, but last night i was very happy just to see us a respond.

Archived