To everyone who said this team is soft....

Wraith

No shame here, while this team showed great heart last night, too many nights of turning the other cheek and shying away from contact for my personal preference.

it's a long season... What they have done so far might deliver home ice throughout the playoffs. That's a good thing. Every game doesn't need to be fought like they are fighting the Germans. When the playoffs roll around - they will answer the call.

PA - I understand what you are saying. You are right the Sens were not really made to pay a price last night. BUT, regardless of your view of what happened on the ice the Sabres did at least respond.

I'm with you, in that I wish we did initiate the physical activity more often, but last night i was very happy just to see us a respond.

They responded. They had to. No choice. Like if someone swung on your mother/grandmother/wife or girlfriend. Even Fred Rogers would put his dukes up. I guess they still deserve credit for it. Especially Stafford and Biron. Peters, though, showed again last night how useless he is, even earning the criticism of his coach.

I call em as I see em. Up until the past couple weeks they had been playing very soft hockey. I think it started to turn around when Lydman fought, then Campbell, Hecht, etc. Tonight would not have happened two months ago because Peters was sitting, Mair was on the 4th line and Kaleta was in Rochester along with Stafford. Stafford was the guy who stepped up. The goons did their jobs but Stafford is a skill guy who went right at Neil when it needed to be done. Anyone here think Kotalik would have scrapped with Neil? When non-fighters start sticking up for people the team ceases to be soft, it has nothing to do with size. The last time we were in the cup final we had Joe Juneau and Geoff Sanderson finishing checks and mixing it up after the whistle. You need that because Peters isn't going to see much ice, if any in the playoffs, same deal with Kaleta.

I hope they can continue this spirited play. It can be very infectious and we have a number of young, hungry players in the lineup right now. They've been banging more, fighting more and working harder recently. We need to grow that atmosphere into the playoffs when the regulars return and the knuckleheads sit. I'm not calling for wanton violence, just an answer to things that happen. We hadn't been answering the bell, but we certainly did last night-starting with Mr. Stafford. Kudos to you Drew.

I don't really agree that the problem during the January slump was "soft" play -- if "soft" means being intimidated and not responding physically -- I think it was simply lack of intensity. This may be inevitable during an 82-game season.

However, I completely agree about Stafford. What a great reaction, and great to see as a fan. He reacted the way Gaustad and Drury would've (and, as you point out, the way I wish Big Al would've but probably wouldn't have). It wasn't calculated -- just an immediate instinctive reaction to go flying in and stick up for your teammate. These are inspirational, team-bonding moments that bode well for the future.

Archived