Connolly set back

Ogie Oglethorpe

I question whether some of you (who are overreacting) read the full thread title or the actual article. It said he had to stay off the ice for 7 to 10 days but could still swim, amongst other things. This is practically no set back at all. Geez, he could catch the flu and miss that much time off the ice.

I question whether some of you (who are overreacting) read the full thread title or the actual article. It said he had to stay off the ice for 7 to 10 days but could still swim, amongst other things. This is practically no set back at all. Geez, he could catch the flu and miss that much time off the ice.

I've been hoping they would abandon the whole Connolly experiment for a while now. This just cements the idea.

well, when you look at it another way, like the fact that he injured himself while rehabbing (and not from any contact or game type situation) you start to think he may not be ready to come back and might be pushing it right now tryiong to get back too quickly. I've been saying all along, he should not be back this year, and should seriously be getting opinions from all over on retiring. This is his second year that he will have missed due to similar injuries. As a human being (and not as a Sabres fan) I would rather Tim sit out for a little while longer then needed and come back stronger and healthier, then trying to rush his way back in at 80-90% and risk serious life altering injuries.

Come on people...take a step back from the ledge.

Stress fractures are not much more than severe shin splints. Connolly hasn't been doing any (zero) physical activity for several months, so these things happen. Ruff said he can still lift with the upper body and use the pool. It's not like he had another concussion!

And to all those who think the Sabres should "give up" on Connolly, check out these clips and tell me if there is a guy on the team now that can dangle AND finish like Tim:

Come on people...take a step back from the ledge.

Stress fractures are not much more than severe shin splints. Connolly hasn't been doing any (zero) physical activity for several months, so these things happen. Ruff said he can still lift with the upper body and use the pool. It's not like he had another concussion!

And to all those who think the Sabres should "give up" on Connolly, check out these clips and tell me if there is a guy on the team now that can dangle AND finish like Tim:

Let me know when you see that on the ice again...

What I don't understand is why everyone continues to drink the Timmy Kool-Aid. Is wanting a player on the ice NOW, who could help us toward and in the playoffs an obsurd idea.

Throwing out condescending gestures like "Step away form the ledge" is not really neccessary and more to the point, it doesn't really address the 2 main issues here,

1. Is it really is Tim Connolly's best interest to come back this year?

2. Is he going to make enough of a difference to keep his salary spot open?

No one knows the answer to these but I think both are worthy of debate. Just throwing out cliches and linking his past performances doesn't really tell us anything.

Darcy should nip this thing in the bud and put Timmy on IR for the season, use his salary space to go out and get someone who we know can help THIS year.

I have to agree. If Darcy doesn't put TC's salary to good use between now and the playoffs, it will be a complete waste. This guy is not coming back for the regular season...period!

I have to agree. If Darcy doesn't put TC's salary to good use between now and the playoffs, it will be a complete waste. This guy is not coming back for the regular season...period!

Even if he does, what percent of him are we going to see? ...and how durable is he giong to be?

Quite frankly, I don't understand why there isn't MORE trepidation about the entire Connolly situation. This really has the making of a disaster.

If there's a bright side to it, the article did say he could continue swimming... At least he can still work on his conditioning even if he's not on the ice.

In that case, I'm hoping he'll be ready for the 200m butterfly for Beijing 2008. :blink:

What do the Sabres gain by putting him on IR? It's not like they're going to use the extra salary cap space available to sign some big name guy. If the did, then they'd have even more salary cap trouble next year when Tim does come back, and you still have this big name guy you traded for on your roster, and you still have to try to sign the co-captains of your hockey club to long-term deals. So please, tell me what WE gain by putting Tim on the Shelf?

not that bad of an injury. he's using the entire rest of the season to get into hockey shape... 7-10 days off the ice still allows him to get into shape... He can swim, lift, and do upper body aerobics (which by the way, is the area that he's originally on IR for anyways!) Connolly breaks leg is a pretty crappy way to open the website for the day, but come on folks... its not that bad!

What do the Sabres gain by putting him on IR? It's not like they're going to use the extra salary cap space available to sign some big name guy. If the did, then they'd have even more salary cap trouble next year when Tim does come back, and you still have this big name guy you traded for on your roster, and you still have to try to sign the co-captains of your hockey club to long-term deals. So please, tell me what WE gain by putting Tim on the Shelf?

The ability to trade for a rent-a-player with the same salary as TC for the REST OF THE REGULAR SEASON and playoffs. This player would probably not be on the roster next year, so no cap troubles.

Even if he does, what percent of him are we going to see? ...and how durable is he giong to be?

Quite frankly, I don't understand why there isn't MORE trepidation about the entire Connolly situation. This really has the making of a disaster.

Inkman -- you are right -- the warning signs of a disaster are there. If he comes back and incurs a significant injury, the I-told-you-so opportunity will be ripe.

But here's something else: I think the reason there isn't more trepidation about Connolly is that while the makings of disaster are there, so are the makings of glory. It's the same reason we are all hoping against hope that this is finally the year that one of our teams breaks on through and brings us home one single solitary GD championship. This team never quits. They showed us last year that they are going to keep coming and coming and eventually get there and win. (Unless we get hit with a freakish rash of injuries at the same position of course.) It's the same reason RJ kept asking "now do you believe"? Because this team brings out the optimism and the believers.

So you are right to worry about another brutal injury to Timmy resulting from an ill-advised, rushed comeback. But that doesn't mean that I'm not also right to get happy daydreaming about a string of highlight-reel goals, a wicked power play, an unstoppable scoring line with Timmy and Briere, setbacks overcome, wrongs righted, a march through the playoffs, a parade and a chapter in Buffalo sports history entitled "the legendary comeback of 2007".

That's what I want, anyway.

Go Sabres.

Archived