NHL Rumor Mill Names

Bmwolf21

LINK

Names being tossed around:

Boston: Brad Stuart, Milan Jurcina

St. Louis: Keith Tkachuk, Bill Guerin

Flyers: Forsberg, Knuble

LA Kings: Forwards Derek Armstrong, defensemen Aaron Miller, Brent Sopel; G Mathieu Garon are among the players who are in the last year of their contracts, making them ideal rentals for teams in contention. May also be looking at dealing Sean Avery.

And for the fans of tradition, more on the bigger nets issue:

NHL considers larger nets

Wednesday, Jan 31, 2007 9:58 am EST

Miikka Kiprusoff

It's not getting as much attention as dislikes of the current National Hockey League schedule, next season's new uniforms or what to do about the All-Star Game, but the issue of possibly going with larger nets is bubbling just below the surface.

The league is closer to making a change than you might think. It already tried larger goals at a research-and-development camp prior to the start of last season, as well as in a rookie tournament that included players from Toronto, Florida and Montreal.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

LINK

Names being tossed around:

Boston: Brad Stuart, Milan Jurcina

St. Louis: Keith Tkachuk, Bill Guerin

Flyers: Forsberg, Knuble

LA Kings: Forwards Derek Armstrong, defensemen Aaron Miller, Brent Sopel; G Mathieu Garon are among the players who are in the last year of their contracts, making them ideal rentals for teams in contention. May also be looking at dealing Sean Avery.

And for the fans of tradition, more on the bigger nets issue:

They were saying last night that Strum was also available from the Bruins

How about we pick up Todd Marchant from Phoenix and Aaron Miller from LA....I realize they're both from this area but that's beside the point. I think Marchant would add some more grit, which I believe we need and Miller would be a solid addition to the blueline.

Who do we give up for them? Well, for starters....Kotalik.....Kalinin....I think those are good options. BUT I don't know how old Miller is so maybe giving up Kalinin would be a bad move but Darcy has to do something to bolster the backend. It's a must.

How about we pick up Todd Marchant from Phoenix and Aaron Miller from LA....I realize they're both from this area but that's beside the point. I think Marchant would add some more grit, which I believe we need and Miller would be a solid addition to the blueline.

Who do we give up for them? Well, for starters....Kotalik.....Kalinin....I think those are good options. BUT I don't know how old Miller is so maybe giving up Kalinin would be a bad move but Darcy has to do something to bolster the backend. It's a must.

I think a lot will happen based on Tim Connolly's status. If he's skating and gets his feet wet by the deadline, then Darcy might not have to do much (if anything).

That said, I think Marchant would be a perfect fit. Not only because of his roots, but he's a fast skater that can score, which is the perfect mold for this team. He might very well be a good power play addition if Connolly isn't back.

I think a lot will happen based on Tim Connolly's status. If he's skating and gets his feet wet by the deadline, then Darcy might not have to do much (if anything).

That said, I think Marchant would be a perfect fit. Not only because of his roots, but he's a fast skater that can score, which is the perfect mold for this team. He might very well be a good power play addition if Connolly isn't back.

Maybe we should add Kevyn Adams too...he does have a house on Chautauqua Lake...

Seriously though, I like the thought of Marchant.

The thing I see right now is that there doesn't seem to be that forward that will bust deep into the offensive zone and set the tone for a good forecheck. Grier gave that to us last year. I know that Goose and Mair are still there, but you can't trade veteran experience. I really think that we miss him and will miss him more than we think.

Does anyone have a clue as to how much money we have accrued under the cap without having Connolly on the roster?

Secondly, does anyone know how much room they will have to wiggle with Connolly on the roster?

The longer Tim is not on the roster, the more cap space we will have. I really hope Darcy or whomever has a good handle on this because I think some interesting things can get done with the right know how.

Does anyone have a clue as to how much money we have accrued under the cap without having Connolly on the roster?

Secondly, does anyone know how much room they will have to wiggle with Connolly on the roster?

The longer Tim is not on the roster, the more cap space we will have. I really hope Darcy or whomever has a good handle on this because I think some interesting things can get done with the right know how.

They haven't accrued anything because they have been using the BLTI-IR exception to exceed the $44MM cap. Everything they accrued in early October and when no AHLers have been on the roster was/is spent before the BLTI-IR exception kicked/kicks in.

They started the season with a salary cap salary of just under $43.9MM. So they started the year with ~$100k of room. They will actually have about $20k of that left when Timmy comes back, if he comes back near the trade deadline. They would be able to bring in a player/players that have a full season average salary of ~$100k more than what they give up off the current roster.

If they write Timmy off for this year, they would probably be able to bring in about $2MM more than they give up off the active roster. (I say probably because I haven't had the time to track who the Sabres have had recalled since late October, so I don't know the exact amount of Timmy's replaceable portion of his salary that has not been spent.)

i second the notion to seeing marchant, althought money always seemed to be the problem the last few times his name was floated with the sabres. and personally i like the connection to the area. i think it would reflect even more so in his play and that sort of devotion and grit can be contagious...

They haven't accrued anything because they have been using the BLTI-IR exception to exceed the $44MM cap. Everything they accrued in early October and when no AHLers have been on the roster was/is spent before the BLTI-IR exception kicked/kicks in.

They started the season with a salary cap salary of just under $43.9MM. So they started the year with ~$100k of room. They will actually have about $20k of that left when Timmy comes back, if he comes back near the trade deadline. They would be able to bring in a player/players that have a full season average salary of ~$100k more than what they give up off the current roster.

If they write Timmy off for this year, they would probably be able to bring in about $2MM more than they give up off the active roster. (I say probably because I haven't had the time to track who the Sabres have had recalled since late October, so I don't know the exact amount of Timmy's replaceable portion of his salary that has not been spent.)

Based on what you have said previously WRT to the cap and whether it applies in the playoffs, I would sit Timmy till game one of the playoffs. That would effectively give us one more guy in terms of depth.

not for nothing, but this talk of tim coming back reminds me of how years ago when gary suter blew his knee out in the sharks' preseason...he voided his own contract. gave the money back. said if he wasn't going to play, why should he get paid? cool guy. i wonder how the nhlpa would handle that situation these days.

i'm pretty partial to todd marchant. still have my heart set on doan or knuble, though. perfect blend of skill and toughness.

Based on what you have said previously WRT to the cap and whether it applies in the playoffs, I would sit Timmy till game one of the playoffs. That would effectively give us one more guy in terms of depth.

Very interesting thought.

My only problem with it is, I think Connolly would have to play in games for close to a month to get all the rust off (and someone in another thread had posted comments from Ruff that imply even that wouldn't be enough). If they are trying to get him worked back into game shape during the playoffs I'd probably rather see Paetsch dressing on the 4th line than Timmy. I don't see Timmy making those Perreault-style, how did he do that, passes and rushes that he was really starting to click on during the playoffs last year without some serious game time action.

St. Louis could be a great dance partner for us -- I think we all need to start rooting against them so they'll be out of the playoff picture and a "seller" before the trade deadline..

Guerin could do for us what Recchi did for the Canes last year (and he only makes $2MM)

Brewer could provide us with grit on the blueline for the playoffs (and he only makes $2MM)

I know it's too early in the morning to be smoking crack, but I'd love to see this deal:

To Buffalo:

Guerin ($2MM)

Brewer ($2MM)

Sanford ($.4 MM)

To St. Louis:

Kotalik ($2 MM)

Biron ($2.1 MM)

St. Louis could be a great dance partner for us -- I think we all need to start rooting against them so they'll be out of the playoff picture and a "seller" before the trade deadline..

Guerin could do for us what Recchi did for the Canes last year (and he only makes $2MM)

Brewer could provide us with grit on the blueline for the playoffs (and he only makes $2MM)

I know it's too early in the morning to be smoking crack, but I'd love to see this deal:

To Buffalo:

Guerin ($2MM)

Brewer ($2MM)

Sanford ($.4 MM)

To St. Louis:

Kotalik ($2 MM)

Biron ($2.1 MM)

I know you're not serious, but I'll shoot down that deal anyway. The Blues are going to be looking for prospects. Why would they have any interest in a goalie they'd lose at the end of the season anyway? They'd probably also want to cut payroll (more than 300K anyway).

St. Louis could be a great dance partner for us --

Time to bring back McKee... Who better to know our system... :blink: Oh yeah.. That contract might be a bit of a stumbling block. :wallbash:

Guerin is going to be coveted by many teams. $2M salary (which the buyer only picks up the remaining value for this season), plus he's only on a 1 yr. contract.

Trading someone like Kotalik and a 3rd or 4th rd. pick would be a good deal for Buffalo. They shed a long-term contract and pick up a veteran who is having a resurgence.

Granted they are likely lose him after the season, but it's the type of sacrifice needed if you are going all out for the cup.

Marchant plays for the Ducks. I'd be surprised if they were making deals with a team that they are predicted to face in the finals...

Oh yeah, I knew that, but I forgot. I was half-watching/listening to the coyotes-ducks game last night and heard his name and liked the idea of him being on the coyotes because we could probably get him from them, and so I made up my mind that he plays for them.

Shows how closely I was paying attention to the game eh.

Hmm, getting him from the ducks would be a bit harder iwouldn't it.

One thing to keep in mind with Guerin is that his cap his is actually $2.4 million. That's a very important detail that has been left out.

As for Marchant, not that he's an option, but his contract is a killer. A good player, yes, but he's not worth the money he's being paid.

Can't have it both ways. The roster also freezes at the trade deadline... correct me if I"m wrong. So you'd have to have him on or off... no going back after the decision is made.

I don't think Guerin would be a great pickup at all, I don't understand why many of us are so high on him. He's never been a great playoff player and I certainly wouldn't give up someone like Kotalik for an old rent-a-player. It would be more interesting if we could pry Brewer away in the deal (although his injury problems last year might be a concern), but St. Louis probably wouldn't do that deal.

Anyways, he's my contribution:

An interesting player to look at might be Bryan Berard, whom Columbus just activated off of the IR. He hasn't played all year and is somewhat injury-prone, but if you look at his numbers with that awful team last year(44GP 12G 20A, 11 goals on the POWERPLAY) he may be worth a look. The year before he had 13G and 47pts in just 58 games with another bad team, Chicago. Injuries are a concern but could be valuable if we take a risk ($2.5MIL contract may be too much to risk also).

Speaking of Columbus, David Vyborny is another guy I haven't heard anyone mention, which makes sense since he is very underrated. 11G, 44pts and amazingly a +1 on such a bad team. Good work ethic and a good setup man, only makes $2.2MIL.

Derek Armstrong is someone to consider IMO. I have seen a lot of Los Angeles this year for some reason and he is a high-motor guy that throws solid hits and can produce offensively 48GP 8G 33PTS, is amazingly a +9 on such a terrible team and only gets $760K! Could easily take Mair's place! Also can play any forward position, although is primarily a center.

Also, I can't believe no one has mentioned Yanic Perreault! IF Phoenix is willing to trade him (and I believe he only has a 1-yr deal) he makes just $700K and was an all-star this season. Not to mention he is the league's best faceoff man.

Just a few more to throw out there since this is probably the thread to do that:

RW Owen Nolan - Phoenix - $1.225MIL - 51GP, 12G 18A 30PTS, +5

LW Martin Ruchinsky - St. Louis - $1.75MIL - 49GP, 11G 21A 32PTS, -3, 4PPG, 2GWG

D Barrett Jackman - St. Louos - $1.482MIL - 39GP, 1G 11A 12PTS, +2, great hitter

What about Denis Gauthier from Philly....he kills people....but takes penalties...and I have no idea about his contract status....so please feel free to show the idea down.

What about him? Are the Sabres missing an orange pylon and need another? I think they could probably pick one up cheaper at Home Depot or through Grainger. ;)

Archived