What's your favorite moment from last year's playoffs?

Quickdraw

You can name something that happened in the actual game...or outside of the game. In my case, I would have to say it was Game 1 vs. Ottawa.

It was Cinco de Mayo so Cozumel was having its annual party, so my fiance and my buddies piled in a car and drove down. Shred and Regan mentioned they were going to show the game on a giant projection screen shining on the side of a house but for some reason that didn't happen. They did have a big screen TV set up in some sort of pavillon thing but it was so packed that we decided to walk down to Colter Bay.

Upon arriving there was a good crowd there watching the game...but as the night grew older the bar area at Colter Bay just kept filling in with more and more people. Soon it was standing room only...people were literally hanging outside of the entrance to catch a glimpse of the game. I'll never forget that night as the Sabres tied it up with about 10 seconds left, and when they won in overtime the way this bar full of strangers erupted into cheers. Strangers high fiving and hugging each other. It really brought this town and the people together.

The added bonus for me was when my older brother, who lives down in Raleigh, NC (don't worry, he's a rabid Sabres fan), called me after the game and said "What a game? Hey...what's the noise? What's that cheering?" I told him I was out at Colter Bay and watching the game and he goes "Dude, that's my favorite bar in the world, I wish I could be there." I told him he was there...

Awesome night.

If it's favorite game, the answer is clearly 7-6.

If it's favorite single moment in a game, I'd say:

1. Danny's OT game-winner in game 6 vs. Carolina. Not in our house.

2. 2nd period of game 3 of the conf. finals. My 1st playoff game in HSBC since 1998. We score a couple of goals, dish out a couple of big hits, and the volume in the arena went from a 9.5 to a 14. Unbelievable.

3. Connolly to Roy to tie game 1 vs Ottawa at 5-5 with less than 2 min. to go.

4. Connolly's tap-in to tie game 1 vs Ottawa with 10 seconds left.

5. Drury's OT game-winner in 7-6.

6. Miller stoning Spezza on the clean breakaway (was it game 2?)

7. Welcome to Pominville.

Was I only supposed to name 1? Sorry.

I was in town for one night and one purpose - Game 1 vs. Philly. The arena was rocking all night but the roof came off with Danny's goal in double OT! I was sitting at a table directly behind the goal at the Harbor Club 200. My first playoff game ever and it was definitely a good one!

Random memories:

Max falling in front of a Zdeno Chara slapshot near the left point. That said it all really.

And the little kid they showed taking off his helmet after Jason Pominville's hat trick goal against Philly. The rebirth of a fan base. Pretty cool.

"The Stanley Cup will never go to Ottawa"

Chills.

Playoff Memories

1. Going to Game 1 in Raliegh and meeting some other board people

2. "Let's Go Buffalo" chant in the opening moments of Game 1

3. Going to Game 5 in Raliegh and tailgating in Sabres Alley

4. Scoring after Game 5

5. The second intermission of Game 7. The Sabres were 20 minutes away

The energy at Game 1 in Raliegh was amazing. I don't think the people of Raliegh knew what was coming.

If it's favorite game, the answer is clearly 7-6.

If it's favorite single moment in a game, I'd say:

1. Danny's OT game-winner in game 6 vs. Carolina. Not in our house.

7. Welcome to Pominville.

I guess I have little to add to the above -- although, Soupy's hit on Umberger would make the list as well.

I was at the arena for Danny's goal in Game 6 v. Carolina -- utter delirium.

I was sitting on my couch at home with my wife (who's a great sport when the playoffs roll around) for Game 6 v. Ottawa -- that was fun, too, I have to tell you.

I was out at Cobblestone for Game 7 of the Conf Finals -- downing a beer and shooting the sh*t between the second and third periods -- that was an amazing window of time.

Playoff Memories

4. Scoring after Game 5

The energy at Game 1 in Raliegh was amazing. I don't think the people of Raliegh knew what was coming.

Sweet. But I think you are confusing the topic of this thread. It's supposed to deal with playoff MEMORIES, not playoff MAMMARIES. ;) :P

I was in town for one night and one purpose - Game 1 vs. Philly. The arena was rocking all night but the roof came off with Danny's goal in double OT! I was sitting at a table directly behind the goal at the Harbor Club 200. My first playoff game ever and it was definitely a good one!

That was my first playoff game too (3 more would follow)

My favorite moment was being up in the 300 level, in the corner on the same side, watching Soupy create "Cream of Umberger" soup, the place erupted after that hit

My second favorite had to be the Game 3 winning goal against Ottawa. It happened right in front of me. I bought one ticket to that game at the last minute and sat 3 rows from the ice behind the net.

Playoff Memories

4. Scoring after Game 5

I was there for that one...was an awesome time. What a horrible walk back to the car afterwards though.

I didn't get to meet anyone at Game 5 - it was kind of a last minute thing to drive up from Florida - but the atmosphere in Sabres Alley was awesome - just driving down the aisle hi-fiving people out the windows started a great tailgate, IMO. And Quickdraw, you are right - what a $h!tty walk back the car it was - I could handle the heckling and jeering, but a bunch of Carolina a-holes started throwing stuff at us and other Sabres fans in the parking lot. Classy fans...

My favorite on-ice moments, in no particular order, were Pominville's OT winner; Drury's breakaway goal to open things up in Game 5; and of course, the Brian Campbell Express catching Umberger on the train tracks...

my vote is with umberger...

If we can rewind to that evening, the first and second period were a feeling out. The sabres were quicker, but they could not pull away... heading into the 3rd period, up 2-0, then leaving the 3rd tied... Bad bad news, and a lot of nervous fans. Then campbell lined up Umberger. That hit literally transcended the game that night. When umberger went down, you could physically see the momentum for the entire series shift to the sabres. We score about 25 minutes later, and completely roll over the flyers. Briere's ot winner in the game 6 was more entertaining, but that hit literally willed the sabres to that victory and conversely knocked the flyeres back to the stone ages.

I have so many memories, but game 2 of the Philly series.......I went with a Phlyers fan who was all decked out in Philly gear. We sat up near Mairs Office, and him and another Flyer fan were really getting fired up in a good natured way. All the fans were pretty well behaved. My friends cell phone kept going off after every goal in the first period (5-0), some calls from his miseable philly freinds, some from his other Sabres buddies teasing him. He said to me "I'ts a good thing you drove, or we'd be on our way home right now". Anyway, a drunk fan sitting in front of us starts heckling my buddy, who is kind of small. It was starting to get uncomfortable when a fan right in front of us stands up. this dude was huge. All decked out in vintage Sabres gear. anyway, he says to drunk heckling fan "dude....we're from buffalo. we've been there. We all know what this guy feels like. enough". We ended up having a great time, even my Philly fan buddy. He sure got abused on the way out though.

My sister and I waited on line to get tickets for the Carolina series, but we got shut out. We decided to get together and watch the game at the distillery in Rochester (we live in roch). I met her after work, and we just, on the spur of the moment decided......let's go. If we can't get tickets, we'll at least get a good vibe in downtown Buffalo, and be part of the post game. We're getting off the ramp off the 190, and there is a dude holding up two tickets. My sister yells "how much?" Guy yells "face value". I had him come over, told him we hadn't hit the ATM yet, so the guy jumps in the back seat of our car, we go to an ATM, park, and the guys seats were right next to ours. freaking awesome. One of the best second periods I've ever seen. the hits and the energy, and I honestly can't think that HSBC has ever been louder. My ears were ringing the next day. When Lydman hit Commodore that led to Kotalik's goal in the 2nd period., I didn't think I'd ever experience that much emotion in a game.

I want to high five someone right now just thinking about it. bring on Detroit!

Take Care

Steve

I'm not that one that has the word Bananas underneath my avatar haha

you are probably too young to remember the Banana Splits... That is line from their theme song which goes with Sasha's split in my avatar!

Archived