So with a new season here again

JujuFish

I'll keep this page bookmarked. It's always fun to make predictions with a bunch of friends and see everyone eat some humble pie, since there's no harm in being wrong. Plus there's the "I told you so" bonus when you're right. :D

Anyway, let's say we predict playoff teams, biggest surprise, biggest disappointment, and maybe the Art Ross winner?

I guess I'll go first. (Yes, I'm a homer.)

East:

1. Buffalo Sabres

2. New York Rangers

3. Carolina Hurricanes

4. Ottawa Senators

5. Montreal Canadiens

6. Tampa Bay Lighting

7. Atlanta Thrashers

8. Philadelphia Flyers

West:

1. Detroit Red Wings (By virtue of the easiest division in hockey)

2. San Jose Sharks

3. Edmonton Oilers

4. Nashville Predators

5. Calgary Flames

6. Dallas Stars

7. Vancouver Canucks

8. Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Biggest surprise: Atlanta Thrashers

Biggest disappointment: New Jersey Devils

Art Ross: Alexander Ovechkin

Yeah, I tend not to do too well with these predictions.

I predict the Leafs will suck.

Going out on a limb here, I know.

Even when they're good, they suck. :D

Based on last year's performance and the untimely injuries, I see no reason why this young, talented, and experienced team cannot hoist the cup at the end of the year other than injuries.

I don't see the depth dropping off this year because of the loss of McKee, Dumont and Grier. There seems to be a lot of well prepared talent in Rochester, and losing Thornburn is evidence of that talent.

* Many of us will still express outrage about the "smear," especially with each new building we visit and as each new "Elmira" newspaper chimes in with its thoughts about Rbk marketing.

-> Follow-up thought - Sabresreport.com crashes multiple times throughout the year as continually added poll-question jersey posts overload the system.

* Irrational fans become panicky as the trade deadline nears and the Sabres have not picked up a 10th defenseman for needed depth.

* Not used to being in the spotlight and how almost every year in the recent past, the team picked by most "experts," does not actually go on to win the Cup.

* Stupidity and weak attempts at humor aside, most of the rational fans of this site enjoy the season and put the expectations in to perspective that come with being a favorite; it is going to be a tough road because we can't sneak up on teams this year, and it is one more year that teams have had to follow the Sabre/Hurricane/Oiler blueprint to be successfull in the new NHL

-> Sabresreport.com crashes multiple times throughout the year as continually added poll-question jersey posts overload the system.

Actually, now that J?y R??e?'s joined the board, expect frequent crashes... :lol:

OK, I'll take a shot.

Inkman is half right. The regular season will be a minor disappointment, but the playoffs will not. I won't go so far as to predict you know what, out of concern for the Hockey Gods. (Then again, as someone has pointed out, respect for the Gods has gotten us nowhere!)

I just think expectations are so high, among the fans and the players, that there has to be an inevitable baby step back. Given the history of Lindy Ruff's teams, that step back is likely to come at the beginning of the season and work itself out. A number of intangibles don't work in our favor -- players on new long term contracts; an apparent injury bug that we might not so easily overcome this year; other teams being "up" to play us every night; etc. But don't get me wrong. We are good, scary good, and we're going to show flashes of it in the first half. I just suspect it's going to be a bumpier ride than most expect.

In the end, it all adds up to a team that finds itself as the season goes along, a team that is tested and battle-hardened and perhaps a bit pissed, hungry and underestimated again by the time April rolls around, which should be just fine with everyone. Presidents Trophy, we don't need no stinkin' Presidents Trophy.

Oddball prediction: a pretty significant deadline deal shakes things up and puts this team over the top.

1. Connolly returns after xmas, plays his way into shape for a month or so and is at full speed by March. The Briere-Connolly-Max line averages 4 points per game.

2. Marty is not traded as no offers are made that make the risk of going into the playoffs without a legit backup goalie worthwhile.

3. Marty does not get off the bench in the playoffs.

4. Drury signs a 4-year, $17 million deal on January 5.

5. Briere has a 90+ point year but does not sign a long-term deal before the season ends, resulting in huge angst and speculation as to his future.

6. We continue to roll 4 lines and 6 defensemen, resulting in balanced ice time and scoring. No one scores 40 but Kotalik, Vanek, Drury and Briere all score 30. Pominville, Hecht, Max and Roy all score about 25.

7. The games vs. Ottawa and Carolina are amazing, as these 3 teams are head-and-shoulders above the rest of the conference.

8. Miller cements his status as a top-5 goalie.

9. Lindy gets a 3-year extension.

10. Sabres set a franchise record for attendance.

11. Tallinder makes the all-star team, along with Drury and Briere.

that's all I've got right now. Holy mackarel I'm psyched for tonight.

Archived