The Flying Buffalo Logo

PTS

Since I got back into town, I asked a few of my "insider" people about the logo and here's the unfortunately truth.

That horrible logo is what will be on our home & away jerseys this season and there is nothing we can do about it.

Larry Quinn & Company believe that once we all see the jersey with the logo, we will all love it. I call bull sh-t on that but the Sabres don't seem to be bother by everyone bashing their logo because apparently we all did this with the goathead.

Some good news, our third jerseys will be our originals, I'm expecting them to be the white jerseys but no one really knows, they might even bring back both.

So bottomline, keep complaining and don't buy those horrid jerseys. We need to do what the Islander fans did and protest this logo to no end. The Islanders were forced to make their third jersey with their original logo and soon after they got rid of the fisherman and brought back their tradition.

Personally, I will do what I can to bring back our tradition. Since I have season tickets in a good spot and I have contacts in the jersey making business, I will spend some money to make one of the Celsius jerseys come to life. I will wear that sucker to every game and have a sign with me that says "This Should Be Our Jersey. Period."

Since I got back into town, I asked a few of my "insider" people about the logo and here's the unfortunately truth.

That horrible logo is what will be on our home & away jerseys this season and there is nothing we can do about it.

Larry Quinn & Company believe that once we all see the jersey with the logo, we will all love it. I call bull #%^$#! on that but the Sabres don't seem to be bother by everyone bashing their logo because apparently we all did this with the goathead.

Some good news, our third jerseys will be our originals, I'm expecting them to be the white jerseys but no one really knows, they might even bring back both.

So bottomline, keep complaining and don't buy those horrid jerseys. We need to do what the Islander fans did and protest this logo to no end. The Islanders were forced to make their third jersey with their original logo and soon after they got rid of the fisherman and brought back their tradition.

My thoughts exactly. If nobody buys the worthless pathetic excuse for a jersey, and consumes the 3rd jerseys like crazy, they will, in fact, become the main jerseys.

BTW the Calgary Flames had that stupid dragon-horse with red snot coming out of its nose as a home jersey for a while and then they changed the uniforms and now I don't even think they use it as a 3rd anymore because it was so unpopular.

Larry Q is a jerk. I hope everyone proves him wrong.

Every just need to make signs when we go to the opener showing their displeasure for the new logo...

That is not a bad idea at all....the only problem is with a new season, everyone is going to be excited and fired up for the start of the season, so it will be hard to go to the opener with a depressing sign...kinda kills the mood.

Larry Quinn & Company believe that once we all see the jersey with the logo, we will all love it. I call bull sh-t on that but the Sabres don't seem to be bother by everyone bashing their logo because apparently we all did this with the goathead.

I don't think the goathead was leaked in 1996. I could be wrong. I remember seeing it on the day it was unveiled, being surprised, taken aback and feeling a bit dubious about it, but I did not hate it and actually came to like it. I think the Internet is the wild card here. LQ would be playing a dangerous game by going up against the legions of fanatics on here. He would have a tiger-skunk-ferret by the tail!

I thought the horsehead flames jersey was theit third jersey?

I know the islanders changed theirs because the fans said it was offensive to them because it depicted everyone "on the island" as fishermen. Now if some of you could come up with a really creative way to say the possible new logo is offensive to the citizens of Buffalo and would stand up in a court of law, they can threaten a lawsuit, but I have a feeling they would then just go back to the jerseys they wore last year.

It's going to be all about the money ... signs won't matter, threats won't matter ... if they make the old ones readily available as a 3rd jersey and they are out-selling the ugly new ones, eventually the change will be made. The goathead was jammed down our throat and the old ones disppeared off the market for years. People had no choice. If they give people a choice, they will get hit in the wallet and eventually change.

So, we can all live with the mullet buffalo as long as the original is the 3rd jersey... Money talks and bullsh-- walks. In 2 years, the mullet will be the 3rd jersey and the originals will be our primary home and primary away jersey

While I am trying not to get worked up about it, remember this also ... PTS has taken all kinds of crapon this board for telling us they were going back to blue and gold last season right up until the season opening puck-off ... so ...

Is he wrong again?

Or can we assume he would not put it out there until he was ABSOLUTELY sure this time ...

I am guessing the latter, but you never know.

Personally, I will do what I can to bring back our tradition. Since I have season tickets in a good spot and I have contacts in the jersey making business, I will spend some money to make one of the Celsius jerseys come to life. I will wear that sucker to every game and have a sign with me that says "This Should Be Our Jersey. Period."

I'd buy one of those if there were a way to get a hold of one. But, I suppose if they were sold in numbers they would want to squash someone making them like a bug for copyright infringement or something like that. I hope they don't force that thing on us by not selling stuff with the old "3rd" jersey. I could see them trying to make us eat it.

I remember when I saw the picture with Patty and Smehlik in the newspaper with the goat head back in 96 (?) and I said, well, that's not that bad. I can live with that. This one though just looks like s**t and for sure wouldn't buy anything with that crap design on it. We just gotta keep showing them that we're not gonna take it :D

My thoughts exactly. If nobody buys the worthless pathetic excuse for a jersey, and consumes the 3rd jerseys like crazy, they will, in fact, become the main jerseys.

BTW the Calgary Flames had that stupid dragon-horse with red snot coming out of its nose as a home jersey for a while and then they changed the uniforms and now I don't even think they use it as a 3rd anymore because it was so unpopular.

Larry Q is a jerk. I hope everyone proves him wrong.

How do you know what "the jersey" looks like. It hasn't been released yet.

The problem is, how to take the willpower not to buy banana slug merch of the maybe 75 of us on this board, and translate it to all of WNY and its expats?

How do you launch a boycott against the beloved home team that is large enough to matter?

Bumper stickers? "Boycott the Sluggalo, Bring back the Buffalo!" ???

TV commercials? Maybe Billy Fucillo can help: "Sluggalo is a HUUUUGE mistake, Buffalo, HUGE."

Print ads?

Al Vaughters story?

Hunger strikers outside HSBC?

Whatever has to happen it has to happen on a larger scale than the handful of us on this board. My sense is that most people would cave and buy the #%^$#! unless there was a very broad popular movement.

I'd buy one of those if there were a way to get a hold of one. But, I suppose if they were sold in numbers they would want to squash someone making them like a bug for copyright infringement or something like that. I hope they don't force that thing on us by not selling stuff with the old "3rd" jersey. I could see them trying to make us eat it.

I was cleaning out my dresser and found a t-shirt from the '99 (I think) playoff run - it was a simple black tee with a bastardized version of the original logo on it, and the lettering said something like:

"Buffalo Hockey - We've been thirsty for 31(?) years..."

I think I got it from Aussie T, but I can't be sure of that. Anyway, point is that I think if there was any wording it could be phrased generically to avoid copyright/trademark infringment, and the color scheme would have to avoid any of the Sabres' trademarked colors.

Personally, I think a royal blue tee with the words "I've Got Your Logo Right Here" on the front and one of Slabyk's logos on the back (or something similar - like "Gimme My Damn Buffalo" or "Mullets Don't Cut It") would make the point most effectively...

Maybe he could make one with the mullet and the words "Beer Goggles?"(I iknow that one would invite a call from the Sabres' attorneys...)

I don't know - just spitballing some ideas here...any other ideas?

I don't think the goathead was leaked in 1996. I could be wrong. I remember seeing it on the day it was unveiled, being surprised, taken aback and feeling a bit dubious about it, but I did not hate it and actually came to like it. I think the Internet is the wild card here. LQ would be playing a dangerous game by going up against the legions of fanatics on here. He would have a tiger-skunk-ferret by the tail!

I saw a b&w copy of it about 1-1/2 weeks before it became official, but that was the only "leak" I knew of.

A good idea would be to contact each local news stations' "human interest" reporters, or their sports reporters, make sure they have a visual copy of the leak, give them the Buffalo News stories concerning it, and tell them that most fans that have seen it hate it. Suggest that they report that even if the leak is unconfirmed officially, the cat's out of the bag, and the Sabres had better be careful about what logo they choose for the new era, lest fans get instantaneously disgruntled upon unveiling.

Get a report on all news stations during the six o'clock.

I really think the Sabres could successfully redesign anything and everything, including jersey style, jersey fit, jersey stripes, second logos, fonts, numbers, everything... as long as they kept the old logo or a slight update of the old logo and the old colors or slightly updated old colors. I have faith in their marketing department, but they're focusing too much on Blue and Gold, and not what really matters...tradition.

That's all we really want.

The next step is to make yellow t-shirts that simply say "I hate this logo," with a picture of the new logo, and sell them for $3 or less outside all the games. Get a t-shirt customizer joint to sponsor it in order to drop the cost, and put their name on the back. Our hatred must be unified and visible.

IKnowPhysics, its already started to get out to the media, Its been on Channel 2 (WGRZ) a couple of times, Channel 4 (WIVB), and The Buffalo News has printed a couple articles on itas well, even the Niagara Gazette "The Niagara Falls newspapper". Besides myself I know of a few other people that has gave them the story with visuals. We really need to find a way to take this Nation Wide. But hey don't get me wrong more coverage of would certainly help, We just need to find a way to let every Buffao Sabres Fan know of this Logo...

Great, now Mooterus will be eclipsed as the laughing stock of the logo world.

Edit: PTS...if your able to pull off getting your own design...and if quanity lowers the price, let us know. I'm sure there would be some interested people on the board.

I priced out getting a custom jersey done last year. Plan was an updated blue/gold jersey and the old crest/shoulder. Price wasn't too bad. Getting a custom crest and shoulder boards however was expensive. I think it was a $250 setup fee, followed by $20 a crest. Pricey for a one time jersey. Of course it was cheaper for screen print, but a jersey like that needs to be done right.

D@mn straight - power to the people. We'll beat this thing yet.

I guess I'm in the minority on this board. We have not seen the new uniform yet so I'm willing to give it a chance with the new logo. I like modern, progressive stuff. Maybe it will look very cool?! I think it's great (if true), that the Sabres will wear the original uni as their 3rd jersey for a select number of games. That's perfect. A large number of people like myself do not want to go back to the original uni's full time. That era is gone. It's fun to bring it back a few times a year but not full time.

This isn't the Islanders situation where they just made up a brand new mascot (fisherman). They also won 4 Cups in their original jerseys. This isn't Calgary either where the Dragon was the 3rd jersey. It was no big deal for them to phase out a 3rd jersey. Lot's of teams have done that.

I'm not sure where so much Quinn "hatred" has come from. The team has had some pretty good runs while he has been around.

Archived