The Flying Buffalo Logo

PTS

zow, I agree this is becoming too much about Larry. If there is a protest movement, and it seems like it more about zinging Quinn than the logo, the effort won't get too far. And I suspect that if LQ gets the impression the fans are coming after him, he will be more than happy to ram the logo down their throats. He just seems like the kind of guy who enjoys the criticism and enjoys revenge. Could be wrong. Hold on, there are some men in dark suits at my door.

Jerry Sullivan said it best in his latest column

"Maybe that's why fans obsess so much over logos. Logos stay no matter who wears the jersey. The players have one main allegiance, and that's to themselves."

This isn't the Islanders situation where they just made up a brand new mascot (fisherman). They also won 4 Cups in their original jerseys. This isn't Calgary either where the Dragon was the 3rd jersey. It was no big deal for them to phase out a 3rd jersey. Lot's of teams have done that.

How is this not the same as the Islanders jersey fiasco?

The Sabres have made up a slug as our new mascot. A sluggish Buffalo that looks to be moving downward. I guess it represents our city and region very well. We're all lazy people on the way down.

PTS...if your able to pull off getting your own design...and if quanity lowers the price, let us know. I'm sure there would be some interested people on the board.

I don't think that will be possible. There is no way one can produce them in mass. NHL lawyers would be calling like crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if I had security come up to me at the arena.

I guess I'm in the minority on this board. We have not seen the new uniform yet so I'm willing to give it a chance with the new logo. I like modern, progressive stuff. Maybe it will look very cool?!

I don't care what they put on the rest of the jersey, I can't see it looking good with the new logo on the front.

I don't care what they put on the rest of the jersey, I can't see it looking good with the new logo on the front.

Yes. Without a fargin SABRE in the damn logo nothing they do with the rest of the jersey will make it good. How they could leave a sabre(s) out of the primary logo for two re-designs now is stupidity of the highest order.

The fans are partially to blame for this fiasco, because everyone whined and clamored for a full time return to blue and gold, instead of for the old school unis. You want blue and gold? You got it... only not the way you thought you were.

The plan will most likely be to provide you with no choice but to accept the new design, and when you give in and buy the merchandise, they can justify its continued existence.

Remember, the internet is one thing - Sabres fans on the net almost unanimously hate it, and even hockey fans who aren't Buffalo fans also agree that it sucks. That doesn't mean that other fans, particularly kids, won't like it and thus create demand for merchandise bearing it.

Wandering... hello. Welcome. I don't really see the distinction that some want to make between "Internet" fans and other fans. I can't imagine that serious fans who don't get involved in the message board thing feel any differently. And I really can't envision the youth crowd getting all fired up about it either. I can't imagine anyone, actually -- casual fan, non-fan, whatever -- liking that thing.

The fans are partially to blame for this fiasco, because everyone whined and clamored for a full time return to blue and gold, instead of for the old school unis. You want blue and gold? You got it... only not the way you thought you were.

The plan will most likely be to provide you with no choice but to accept the new design, and when you give in and buy the merchandise, they can justify its continued existence.

Remember, the internet is one thing - Sabres fans on the net almost unanimously hate it, and even hockey fans who aren't Buffalo fans also agree that it sucks. That doesn't mean that other fans, particularly kids, won't like it and thus create demand for merchandise bearing it.

Yeah, but it was alot simpler for people to say they wanted the "blue and gold" rather than "we want the blue and gold with the white buffalo, the red eye, and the crossed sabres". In my opinion, by saying just "blue and gold", the rest was implied.

The bottom line is this is about merchandising and money. If they went back to the original design they wouldn't generate much in the way of sales considering half of the city already owns a bunch of blue and gold merchandise.

They are counting on kids pestering their parents for the new apparel, and they are counting on people not wanting to feel left out by not wearing the latest look. HSBC Arena is going to look mighty silly come October when you have three generations of people wearing royal blue and yellow, black and red, and navy blue and orange (yes, the new gold is orange, I don't care what you say).

The bottom line is this is about merchandising and money. If they went back to the original design they wouldn't generate much in the way of sales considering half of the city already owns a bunch of blue and gold merchandise.

I don't think they need to go back to the original design EXACTLY. They can modernize the jersey and put some swooshes or something on there. I just want what has been stated repeatedly on here... a logo with some sabres in it, whether it be the original logo, or a similar modernization.

I guess I'm in the minority on this board. We have not seen the new uniform yet so I'm willing to give it a chance with the new logo. I like modern, progressive stuff. Maybe it will look very cool?! I think it's great (if true), that the Sabres will wear the original uni as their 3rd jersey for a select number of games. That's perfect. A large number of people like myself do not want to go back to the original uni's full time. That era is gone. It's fun to bring it back a few times a year but not full time.

This isn't the Islanders situation where they just made up a brand new mascot (fisherman). They also won 4 Cups in their original jerseys. This isn't Calgary either where the Dragon was the 3rd jersey. It was no big deal for them to phase out a 3rd jersey. Lot's of teams have done that.

I'm not sure where so much Quinn "hatred" has come from. The team has had some pretty good runs while he has been around.

Even if the uniform had naked pictures of jessica alba all over it, it still wouldn't look good because that logo is a disgrace.

Are you from Buffalo??? It doesn't bother you that there are no sabres in the logo? Should we change the name of the team to the Buffalos?

I think sports franchises should adopt logos that represent the cities that they are supposed to represent. I guess a depressed, legless skunk-bison hybrid represents this area? The people here are worth more than that and if you believe the logo should represent the community, then we deserve better. This is a blue collar town and the logo should symbolize the resiliance and hard-working attitude of this city... and with a damn sabre in it for God's sake!

Even if the uniform had naked pictures of jessica alba all over it, it still wouldn't look good because that logo is a disgrace.

Well, let's not get too hasty now! That's crazy talk B-) Jessica Alba is about the only thing that would make the new logo look good.

Sure, the fans shouldn't have to specify exactly that they wanted the old '70s uniforms back, but don't think the marketing guys don't have some master plan to make it seem like we wanted this. They've satisfied your yearning for blue and gold, but they've updated it for the 21st century. 2 THE XTREME!

Personally, a more satisfying result for me would be for the throwback uniform to replace the current third jersey, which I was never too fond of, making Friday night home games "blue and gold game." Regular unis remain our old Goathead friend, which I'm pretty sure nobody has a real huge problem with anymore, especially in comparison to the skunk mullet. I actually really liked the black, red, and white uniforms, they were well designed and caused me to end up accepting the logo.

I remember groaning at the new Anaheim uniforms and how fugly they were, and how plain the logo is, but in the back of my mind I feared that this would happen to the Sabres, too, that they'd find a way to screw it up. Still, no matter how ugly this thing ends up being, I don't know if they'll be able to touch the truly putrid third jerseys for the Ducks and Kings that were worn in 95-96. Legend has it that one for the Blues was dreamed up as well, but Mike Keenan refused to allow his players to wear it (as told on the fantastic website nhluniforms.com). C'mon Lindy...

I guess I'm in the minority on this board. We have not seen the new uniform yet so I'm willing to give it a chance with the new logo. I like modern, progressive stuff. Maybe it will look very cool?! I think it's great (if true), that the Sabres will wear the original uni as their 3rd jersey for a select number of games. That's perfect. A large number of people like myself do not want to go back to the original uni's full time. That era is gone. It's fun to bring it back a few times a year but not full time.

I don't see how anyone could even fathom embracing that P.O.S. logo. Its the ugliest logo I've ever seen. Worse then the crap we wear now.

I don't want th eoriginal unis full time, i want a modernized version that celebrates our original logo. What they are proposing with the slug show a complete disresepct for the fans of the Sabres.

IMO, if this is our new logo then they didn't even bother to try, and I don't know if I could even watch the team next year if there going to be skating around with these fruit cake isignias on their chests.

I don't know if I could even watch the team next year if there going to be skating around with these fruit cake isignias on their chests.

Then Dont and Dont Call yourself a Sabres fan either. Sure we all HATE the logo but that is not going to stop me from cheering them on...

That doesn't mean that other fans, particularly kids, won't like it and thus create demand for merchandise bearing it.

And you got this wrong, For one my 4 year old Daughter, asked me when she saw me looking at it "Why is that Squirrel Orange" I told her its the Sabres new logo its a Buffalo, she said "well than its a funny looking Buffalo". Second I cant even say the stuff on the internet my nephews said about it, and there 7 and 12... I was actually stunned to here some of the crap that came out of thier mouths...

Even fans from other teams are joining in. I thought this response from a Rangers fan on the petition was particularly well put.

I am a Rangers fan but someone in the Buffalo office needs to realize that tradition is not just old habit. The crossed sabres are as natural to the Sabres as the French Connection, Lafontaine to Mogilny, and Hasek. This new logo joins the Groton Fisherman as the Islander's new logo as one of the stupidest things ever. Certain teams in the NHL do not need to struggle to brand an identity. Like my Rangers blueshirt, the Sabres have a brand image that is in my opinion still contemporary and timeless. Do not be lulled into believing that the Sabres need new branding. The Sabres management needs to understand that the glitzy imaging of the new logo is at the expense of tradition. And the NHL is ALL about tradition. The only fix needed should be a return to the logo that we all know.

I know someone who works for the Sabres as well, who has also confirmed that the new logo is in fact the new logo. The one thing he mentioned is that while the Sabres had input into it, the league and Reebok have a lot of influence on uniform/logo design. So you can't put all the blame on the Sabres. But the problem that creates is that it will take more than just convincing the locals that there's a problem to get any kind of change. Also, given that they have to make and order all this stuff in advance of the season, there's really no way to change it in the short term (i.e., this season). Pressing them to use the third jersey more seems to be the most logical immediate option.

I know someone who works for the Sabres as well, who has also confirmed that the new logo is in fact the new logo. The one thing he mentioned is that while the Sabres had input into it, the league and Reebok have a lot of influence on uniform/logo design. So you can't put all the blame on the Sabres. But the problem that creates is that it will take more than just convincing the locals that there's a problem to get any kind of change. Also, given that they have to make and order all this stuff in advance of the season, there's really no way to change it in the short term (i.e., this season). Pressing them to use the third jersey more seems to be the most logical immediate option.

There is no way I believe the team plays second fiddle to Reebok in terms of uniform logo/design.

I'm sure the team had to approve it ... but once they did, probably months ago to start production of things, the horse (or whatever that thing is) was out ofthe barn. Unfortunately, jdp1is probably right, our only hope is a push for the old blue and gold because at least they don't have to re-start the design process.

I'm not a huge fan of the logo, but let's remember - We haven't seen the jersey yet. That might not mean a lot to you guys, but we should at least be optimistic. And hey, even if it isn't the best, at least we have our original color scheme back and are making progress. If that's the jersey they choose to wear, hell I'll buy it. I need a new one anyway.

It's the team I love, the jersey doesn't really matter. Sure I'd like the traditional concepts, but maybe these won't be so bad.

I don't mean to single anyone out here... but those of you who say you are "going to wait until the jersey comes out" or that say you can't make a judgement about the logo until "you see it on a jersey", THAT IS NONSENSE! Think about it, the jersey is NOT the logo and the jersey is NOT what everyone will see... you have to think about the logo on a hat, on the scoreboard, at center ice, on a t-shirt, on a jacket, on a kids outfit, on the ESPN score screen... all of these things when looking at a logo. The jersey will NOT make it better, even if it is the greatest jersey ever. The logo still blows dog and you have to think outside the jersey.

all these points were discussed at sportslogos.net, so I am just bringing them here. I know a few of you are members there, as am I (different name). so I am giving credit to one poster there who pointed all these things out

I don't mean to single anyone out here... but those of you who say you are "going to wait until the jersey comes out" or that say you can't make a judgement about the logo until "you see it on a jersey", THAT IS NONSENSE! Think about it, the jersey is NOT the logo and the jersey is NOT what everyone will see... you have to think about the logo on a hat, on the scoreboard, at center ice, on a t-shirt, on a jacket, on a kids outfit, on the ESPN score screen... all of these things when looking at a logo. The jersey will NOT make it better, even if it is the greatest jersey ever. The logo still blows dog and you have to think outside the jersey.

all these points were discussed at sportslogos.net, so I am just bringing them here. I know a few of you are members there, as am I (different name). so I am giving credit to one poster there who pointed all these things out

Enough said! ;)

Archived