Where exactly do you stand on the logo?

PASabreFan

Despite all the good suggestions and designs out there for a new logo, the original is still the best. It was wrong to change it in the first place.

I love the original and fully expect the new logo to draw a definite resembelence, but there were some very nice designs being offered up from a couple of fans.

I don't see why this is difficult for the Sabres. People want a jersey that celebrates the original blue and gold, and gives us back the identity of our team. Black and red was never Sabres colors.

I also do not believe Sabre fans want to just return to the original jersey. We all love it, but most of us would like something a little new. We all want to feel the original and still feel like we upgraded it to flow with the times. At least that's what I'm hoping for !!!!

The tradition and history of any sports team is symbolized by one thing, and that is the teams logo. In this respect a logo is much like a flag another thing that should remain unchanged. I have nothing against changning Jersey designs and even color schemes to some extent, because I understand that merchandising is important in progessional sports. However, tradition cannot be forgoten and the the symbol should remain, for the most part, unchanged.

American sports should take a note from their european counterparts, who keep their "crests" intact. Although these crests often do not apear on the Jersey's fans know their crests and are proud of them. Much like Buffalo fans are proud of the original logo.

I never truly embraced the current logo because of the loss of tradition that it represents. Putting this new design on the blue and gold would be disrespecting those sacred colors. The only crest that should ever be on those colors are the charging buffalo over the crossed swards.

I hope the team respects the fans wishes and does not go through with the new logo.

We are the Sabres. Not the buffalos or the bison. All the fans wanted was a return to the blue and yellow with some sort of modernization of the old logo. The new logo has no swords (as this has been pointed out in numerous posts) and therfore does not even rempresent our name. It is sad. It is lame. It is horrible. It should not be used.

My father and I have been waiting for the new logo to come out so we can update our Sabres wardrobe. We both live out in the central United States so getting Sabres gear is virtually impossible. If this so-called "logo" is indeed the new one, we won't have to worry about the merchanidse avaiable because we will be waiting to update our wardrobe until the organization sees the error of their ways.

Briefly:

New logo = awful. I would not buy anything adorned with it.

Suggestions:

- Include a sabre or sabres (this should be obvious).

- If you include a buffalo, keep it simple, and give him legs.

- Blue and "gold"(yellow). NO shiny, metallic, sparkly, disco-gold. Again, keep it simple.

- It shouldn't look like the Bills logo, or even similar. Be original.

The only reason I am "adding" to this thread is on the off possibility that it may make its way back to Sabres management and want to be included in the crowd that is not happy with the new logo. (I think someone claimed I called it a "debacle", and that isn't too far from the truth.)

Most of these points have been mentioned several times already, so please feel free to disregard this post if you've already read the rest of this thread.

The team's primary logo should in some way, shape, or form include a reference to the team's moniker - namely, it should include a reference to "SABRES". This yellow thing doesn't do that.

The buffalo should be white to look reverentially back on tradition (both for the actual logo(s) that have adorned Sabres player's chests for over 35 years and for the "mysticism of the Great White Buffalo" which is why the thing was white to begin with). This new one mocks tradition.

The yellow thing looks cartoonish. It does not merit inclusion with some of the truly great logos in sports (Chicago's Chief Black Hawk, the Red Wings flying tire, Montreal's CH, the winged Blue Note, and the original Sabres logo), but does not appear out of place next to the Dallas "Mooterus", the NY Gorton's Fisherman, or the Anaheim "Mighty" Duck.

If the team is dead set on using this yellow thing, can't they simply use it as a VERY small patch on the shoulder?

I don't mind going to something "new", although I would prefer something traditional; BUT if they do go to something "new", I darn well want it to be something that's GOOD.

I do not see myself buying a Pro-weight Spacek if it's got a huge streaming yellow booger on the front of it.

My 2 cents.

Again, don't put too much stock in the colors you see on your screen. They are probably not that close to the actual colors being proposed. I looked at the PMS colors on a chart, and I don't think anyone is going to object to them. They are in the same family as the original blue and gold, which is what almost everyone wanted.

Ha. I've been waiting several days for someone to say that.

As bad as the slug is, inkman, I think your avatar is worse. What's with the high forehead? Perhaps you relate to it? :) Yeah, I'm one to talk. My forehead isn't high, it's unending.

But I do like how the sabres sort of extend from the horns. My God, there are just so many cool things you can do with sabres and the buffalo. WHY THE SLUG. WHY!?

First, my thanks to PA Sabres Fan for establishing this thread. Second, I hope and pray someone from the team's front office reviews the same.

I will say this to the Sabres: You will completely and needlessly squander a marketing and good will bonanza if you go forward with the alleged new logo.

As my buddies and I filed out of our local tavern after game 7 against the Hurricanes, the only vaguely positive thing anyone could say (albeit barely audibly) was something about how "at least we'll be back in blue and gold when we do win the cup." And as late May turned into mid-June, the promise of returning to a glorious and noble form of blue and gold, returning to something based in (though not identical to) tradition, turned into something legitimately positive for us to talk about.

The alleged logo is neither glorious nor noble, and it is not rooted in tradition. You have pulled the rug out from under me and all of the other fans who were waiting anxiously to see the franchise re-connect with its roots. Please reconsider this matter before it is too late. While I don't have enough aesthetic sensibilities to advise you specifically on how the new crest should appear, I can say that the new crest should strongly evoke the original crest.

Go Sabres.

The alleged logo is neither glorious nor noble, and it is not rooted in tradition. You have pulled the rug out from under me and all of the other fans who were waiting anxiously to see the franchise re-connect with its roots. Please reconsider this matter before it is too late. While I don't have enough aesthetic sensibilities to advise you specifically on how the new crest should appear, I can say that the new crest should strongly evoke the original crest.

Go Sabres.

That Aud smell kinda smells like roses. Excellent post!

That Aud smell kinda smells like roses. Excellent post!

I appreciate the kind words, SC.

And I will tell you, there was a distinct smell at the Aud that I can still get a whiff of if I concentrate enough -- it was some combination of the food, the beer, the well worn materials of the facility itself (think tar and nicotine residue among other things), the crowd.

I'm not saying it was a totally pleasant smell at the time (it wasn't), but thinking of it now makes me awfully nostalgic.

I'm not saying it was a totally pleasant smell at the time (it wasn't), but thinking of it now makes me awfully nostalgic.

Dude, do not apologize for the Smell. It is the greatest Smell in the world ... anyone who experienced it does not need an explanation, and anyone who didn't could never understand. ;)

In fact, I am so mad that you thought of the name before I did I am almost considering trying to buy it from you like a jersey number when someone already has it ... :)

Dude, do not apologize for the Smell. It is the greatest Smell in the world ... anyone who experienced it does not need an explanation, and anyone who didn't could never understand. ;)

In fact, I am so mad that you thought of the name before I did I am almost considering trying to buy it from you like a jersey number when someone already has it ... :)

You're right, Pipes, no apologies are needed for the Smell. And I am loving how we have immediately taken to initially-capitalizing the Smell. If someone could point me to a place on the planet where something like the Smell could be experienced, I'd be there in a New York minute.

It was at it's peak where you start the pilgrimage up the ramp. I think it had something to do with the carcinogens they used in printing up those 4 pound programs. Or the shag rug logos hanging over the turnstiles.

I am with all the others. The new logo reminds me of a cross between something my 6 year old would watch a cartoon of, and the time the Simpsons showed Homer's sperm heading for conception. Truely lame.

Sabres brass, please reconsider this thing. It's not like we didn't supprt our last jersey change, and I am sure we'll support the new one with a nice design ($). But don't insult us with a cartoon of that Toupalo.

The Aud smell, hmmm. I think it smelled like a combination of sweat, stale beer, mildew, must, and popcorn. And once you came out you could always smell the lake and diesel.

Can't forget spilled pop and weeks old cigarette smoke.

Remember how the haze would work it's way down as the game went on until the entire orange section was in a fog?

Also, not that it totally fits this thread, but when I was a STH in the Aud, I used to joke that I could tell which section I was in by the smell.

Here is a reason not to worry about the "logo-slug"

Larry Quinn has said it is NOT the logo! Surely he wouldn't lie. He wouldn't say it if it wasn't so! He is an honest person. He told us, even without seeing it, that it is NOT the new logo - has he lied to us before? Surely he is an honorable man. Surely he wasn't taught to tell falsehoods at a good Catholic school like Notre Dame. As soon as he said it wasn't the logo, all of our worries should have ended.

:(

Here is a reason not to worry about the "logo-slug"

Larry Quinn has said it is NOT the logo! Surely he wouldn't lie. He wouldn't say it if it wasn't so! He is an honest person. He told us, even without seeing it, that it is NOT the new logo.

He pretended to have only seen the obviously fake mock up jersey, and made the logical error that by seeing that he could pretend not to have seen the leaked banana slug logo.

All we know from LQ is that the obviously fake jersey mock up is not, in fact the new jersey. Thanks for that clarification LQ.

Oh, we also know that he's a bad liar.

Kinda like guys who pretend not to be wearing toupee's, I mean Sabres logos.

I've held off on commenting, hoping it would grow on me. It didn't.

There seems to be a fixation with Buffalo horns and eyes with the last two logos. Why? And why is one horn yellow and one white?

On the plus side, I do not mind the colors, as long as the main color of either home or away steater is not yellow.

I refused to buy the goathead to the point that I no longer have any Sabres stuff. I was hoping to be able to change that, but unless there is a much better 3rd, I will continue to go without. I will not pay for crap.

Archived