2024 Conference Finals

31 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

This may be the first time ever where i don’t dislike one of the final four teams 

I dislike Dallas.  “No Goal” still sticks with me. 

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I don't think the Oilers have the goaltending to win the cup although I'd like to see mcDavid hoist the cup, he's looking a little rough these days.

Yea I think McDavid is playing hurt. He hasn’t been shooting when normally he would shoot. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Looks like kyle , Sam, Montour, Rodrigues, Kulikov,Asplund  will get the cup 

Asplund may be on the roster but he won't get the Cup unless he actually sees the ice.  He hasn't skated in an NHL game this season.

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Please tell me how that makes a difference to the end result. Brett Hull is still carving pumpkins about it. Get off my lawn.  

Of course he is, but when I talked to him about that goal he was pretty sheepish about it.

4 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

This may be the first time ever where i don’t dislike one of the final four teams 

Dude.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiQpjugqI7JGUJ7oOrDn7

Never forget. Never forgive. (Even while chuckling at the masterful troll job pictured above.)

Like @Taro T says, I believe (??), I'm still waiting for them to drop the puck to continue Game 6.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

No Goal was on the officiating, not on the Stars.

the lost Superbowls to the Cowboys, in addition to No Goal, have made me hate all Dallas teams to eternity. I'm sure i'm not the only one 😛

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

the lost Superbowls to the Cowboys, in addition to No Goal, have made me hate all Dallas teams to eternity. I'm sure i'm not the only one 😛

I live in the DFW area.  Still hate the 'Boys, but realistically Jerry Jones has just about alienated the fan base here.  The Stars... eh.  They're probably my third or fourth favorite team.  I don't hate them anymore.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The Stars... eh.  They're probably my third or fourth favorite team.  I don't hate them anymore.

This concept is utterly foreign to me.

I have one favourite NHL team: The Buffalo Sabres.

Now, the list of teams I despise? That’s a bit longer.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

This concept is utterly foreign to me.

I have one favourite NHL team: The Buffalo Sabres.

Now, the list of teams I despise? That’s a bit longer.

Well I live here now, I see it on the local media.  And their broadcast crew is pretty okay.  Darryl Reaugh (spelling?) is a good color analyst. 

I kind of like the Red Wings too because I lost track of NHL hockey during my young adult years.  When I moved to Detroit in 1991 the Wings brought me back.  I was a big Red Wings fan when they won it in 1997 and 1998.  Because of the Cup wins we got NHL Center Ice when we moved back to Texas which opened the door to me rekindling my love of the Sabres.

And whoever I'm bandwagonning on is up there.  So it's

1. Sabres
  2. Red Wings
  3. Panthers (this year... that can change at the drop of a hat)
  4. Stars.  I guess

The Stars are basically a "friends with benefits" team:  I'll spend an evening with them but there's not really a strong emotional attachment.

Edited by Doohickie

Hate the Oilers because they were literally gifted McDavid for being inept and thus causing the lottery system to be implemented and modified by winning it 4 out of 6 years I believe. Meanwhile we have yet to move up once in a draft after 13 years of suffering.

Dallas Stars the franchise is not going to get any sympathy or happiness from me. I do have conciliatory feelings though if they win thanks to Pavelski.

Florida has multiple former Sabres but also resides in our division so eh.

The Rangers, my only strong feelings I have is that it was absurd we lost a home game to “host” them at Citi Field

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The Stars are basically a "friends with benefits" team:  I'll spend an evening with them but there's not really a strong emotional attachment.

Downton Abbey Love GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

• Haha (+1) 1

When I lived in NJ and got to go to some Rangers games at MSG with my buddy who had tickets, I didn't mind them. But that was long ago and far away so my natural dislike of NY City sports teams kicked back in and I actively root against them again. 

However, since moving to Denver and getting acclimated in year 1, I found it easy to make the Avalanche a 'second favorite' team, especially since they are (a) in the Western Conference (b) Good) and (c) fairly likeable. 

But if the Sabres are 100, the Avs are like a 10 and my next favorite teams are 9, 8, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I dislike Dallas.  “No Goal” still sticks with me. 

Yea I think McDavid is playing hurt. He hasn’t been shooting when normally he would shoot. 

Not sure why teams like Dallas Stars and Tennesee Titans get so much hatred for bad ref calls

Same thing for the hurricanes. It’s not their fault we got injured 

• Agree 1
  • dislike 1

46 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

Not sure why teams like Dallas Stars and Tennesee Titans get so much hatred for bad ref calls

Excuse me? The Titans?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Excuse me? The Titans?

Lol - fair point. I have examined my sports-soul. I find no animus there for the Tennessee Titans.

Surprisingly, I find that I do still have some latent sports-hatred for the Houston Oilers. (Yes, yes - The Comeback. But there were other times, I seem to recall, where the Oilers (with Moon at QB) were giving the Bills fits. Didn't Haywood Jeffries once torch the Bills in a crucial game (not The Comeback game)?)

On 5/21/2024 at 9:34 AM, Porous Five Hole said:

Not sure if it was Game 6 or 7 - but there was that one instance that made it so obvious that he doesn't trust/have his shot. He had a window into an open half of the goal - but passed.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

The refs didn’t get a championship parade, a party where the whole city takes a collective sigh of relief after 50 years, a banner, and a team that went down in history. Dallas did. 

(If I haven't drunkenly posted this here before, then I've at least drunkenly ranted about it in the Southtowns)

Every team in every sport can complain about injuries unless they're incredibly lucky.
But let's take another look at the playoff run of the 05/06 Hurricanes.
Before they played us: they probably had some minor injuries, I don't care.
When they played us: we were leading 2-1 into the 3rd period of a Game 7 when we were down to our 10th or 12th D-man, which had been affecting the whole series.
The Canes win, go into the Finals against the 8-seed Oilers who had gotten super-hot. 
The Oilers take a big lead in Game 1, but then their hot goalie gets injured (in a crease collision with Canes). 
The Oilers put in the wrong back-up and lose Game 1.
They put in the better back up and then force 7 games.  The Hurricanes win Game 7.
Carolina beat a few AHL teams for the Stanley Cup - screw them.

• Agree 1