Do you like the hiring of Ruff?   

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the hiring of Ruff?

• Yes, its a good move
    • I'm ok with it, not super happy
    • Whatever
    • Not really but it could work I suppose
    • No, dumb move

The more time passes, i am slowly becoming more ok with Ruff. We all know his coaching style and unfortunately it is what this young team needs. We also know that he likes a harder nose style of hockey and that should help as well. Not 100% thrilled as i think Adams was lying through his teeth on double digit candidates. It is what it is. We have a bunch of great pieces that unfortunately cannot motivate themselves. Ruff will definitely get them motivated quickly. Buh bye Skinner!! LOL

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

You’re gonna need more choices:

How can you be happy, what’s this guy ever won? Classic Pegula move.

God I want this to succeed, but it just ain’t gonna.

I mean at least he’s got some experience…

This is the best coach this team ever had and he’s one of us: I *****in love it!

Who is this guy anyway? Seems a little old to be a hockey coach.

Dan Bylsma won a cup how did that work out?

So did John Muckler and Scotty Bowman.

Edited by Big Guava

11 hours ago, Trey said:

I love Lindy and I love this decision, but I am anxious as well. Lindy is different, and that is what my hesitation is. Maybe it is his age, maybe it is his experience, I don't know, but I don't see this Lindy sending out Peters and gang and then going full metal jacket on Murray like in 2007. That is Lindy, so without that I don't know what we get for sure. 

Agreed - It's a very different league from when Lindy last had success in Buffalo, and a lot of his tactics, along with the types of players that could execute on them, are not part of the game anymore. That said, Lindy has clearly found success in the 'new' NHL as well. I just come back to 'these Sabres need a coach who's been around the block a few times and can get in their faces', and Lindy is definitely that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He definitely came across as older, and soft spoken, but speaking as someone very close to his age, you mellow on the exterior because you come to realize the shows of emotion are kind of a waste of time and whatever fires you had inside are still there burning in full force. One may seem "different" but that doesn't mean they really are. Maybe a little wiser, but really the same. 

Now you personally can't do everything you could when you were younger, but you really do know how to get things done. 

From one old guy to another… well said.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cranky old man said:

I forgot about this. What a perfect deal for cash strapped Pegs. A free coach loved by 40% of the fanbase from the git——awash in nostalgia. Regardless, he will get us to the playoffs I think, how far is not something I will contemplate. 

I forgot about this. What a perfect deal for cash strapped Pegs. A free coach loved by 40% of the fanbase from the git——awash in nostalgia. Regardless, he will get us to the playoffs I think, how far is not something I will contemplate. 

What a perfect deal for cash strapped Pegs. A free coach loved by 40% of the fanbase from the git——awash in nostalgia. Regardless, he will get us to the playoffs I think, how far is not something I will contemplate. 

I certainly wont forget about it 

Echo chamber alert.

I hope it works out for the best, of course.  I had to vote that it was a dumb move though.  I would have gone with Gallant.

It's been 25 years since 1999.  Almost 20 since 2006.  Time as taken it's toll on Lindy, as it always does for all of us.  He said he is super excited, but it appeared that he was barely awake.  Maybe he will be different with the players, but he was always very animated when he ever spoke with any of the press back when.

3 hours ago, Demoted said:

"It's whatever" doesn't really make me think anything other then "let's see what happens"

I think it's a proxy for "The profile and character of the roster is way more important than who's coaching them".

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Echo chamber alert.

I hope it works out for the best, of course.  I had to vote that it was a dumb move though.  I would have gone with Gallant.

It's been 25 years since 1999.  Almost 20 since 2006.  Time as taken it's toll on Lindy, as it always does for all of us.  He said he is super excited, but it appeared that he was barely awake.  Maybe he will be different with the players, but he was always very animated when he ever spoke with any of the press back when.

What toll has time taken?   He is smarter and more patient as a coach..   He recently led a very young NJ team way past Buffalo and to their best point season ever.  

I am still far more worried about the roster than the HC. Watch the playoffs and you see we need at least 6 players.  

Ruff has 2 years.  Adam’s better get him a few more players.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What toll has time taken?   He is smarter and more patient as a coach..   He recently led a very young NJ team way past Buffalo and to their best point season ever.  

I am still far more worried about the roster than the HC. Watch the playoffs and you see we need at least 6 players.  

Ruff has 2 years.  Adam’s better get him a few more players.  

I agree, and said it in another thread…I am way more worried about Adams building a playoff roster than I am about Lindy as HC. 

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

My initial reaction was "Not really but it could work I suppose" so I checked that box.  But I'm coming around to "I'm ok with it, not super happy" and hoping it becomes "Yes, its a good move" when the season starts.

I'm fine with Ruff but disappointed the search wasn't more extensive. But I can see why they acted fast. 

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree, and said it in another thread…I am way more worried about Adams building a playoff roster than I am about Lindy as HC. 

Ruff will spell out what he needs to Adams.

14 hours ago, Night Train said:

I voted OK.  I should have realized Adams wanted comfort and his former boss. If they improve, I'll be pleased. They still need lineup changes. 

Yes, it could be far worse...like every guy after he left..

Lindy Ruff was Adams’ boss?

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm fine with Ruff but disappointed the search wasn't more extensive. But I can see why they acted fast. 

Ruff will spell out what he needs to Adams.

I would hope Adams has a pretty good idea already 

maybe Ruff will contribute specific player ideas

Edited by Thorny

Two seasons ago, Ruff had a healthy Dougie and Graves and Severson in late-20s contract years. All the forwards had career years. And the goalies were good. Also a Miles Wood type, if inconsistent on the score sheet, the type of player this roster lacks entirely. This year they were all hurt and the two vet D were replaced by Hughes and Nemec, high upside offense first guys but easy in their own zone.

Amend the roster correctly and Ruff can lead most of this lineup to the playoffs.

One thing of note: Ruff was never able to transform Myers into a #1 defender (by merit). Can he tap into the potential of Power?

12 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

One thing of note: Ruff was never able to transform Myers into a #1 defender (by merit). Can he tap into the potential of Power?

Was Myers ever a #1 defender?

34 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Two seasons ago, Ruff had a healthy Dougie and Graves and Severson in late-20s contract years. All the forwards had career years. And the goalies were good. Also a Miles Wood type, if inconsistent on the score sheet, the type of player this roster lacks entirely. This year they were all hurt and the two vet D were replaced by Hughes and Nemec, high upside offense first guys but easy in their own zone.

Amend the roster correctly and Ruff can lead most of this lineup to the playoffs.

image.thumb.png.52dfaa40cf2b034ee2bdee119511c659.png

Just happen to have this on hand,

50 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Did any coach ever do that?  

• Like (+1) 1