2024-2025 Checking Line

SHAAAUGHT!!!

At the press conference today Lindy made a point to talk about key members on the team that know and embrace their role, like Rayzer and Peters did during their time here.  This has been a major deficiency in the Sabres roster for years.  

That said, who should the Sabres target that would be effective in this role and that would actually want to play here?  

For me, they should be looking at lower cost options like a Kurtis MacDermid.  He knows his role (5min a game, playing heavy, will fight anyone in the league), is 30 years old, and has never made more than $1M a year.  He won’t take minutes away from anyone, adds much needed toughness, knows what Ruff wants and is willing to do it, and would be willing to sign a cap friendly deal (I’m thinking $3.5/3years ($1.17M AAV)).

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
Fixed math punctuation - although it wouldn’t be the first overpay by Adams…

A bunch of Canucks bottom 6 are on expiring contracts: Joshua, Lafferty, Blueger. They know the role. 

Carrier out of Vegas. O’Brien from Phoenix, but I guaranteed Utah gives him a contract because of the value of that role for an expansion/new fan base.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

At the press conference today Lindy made a point to talk about key members on the team that know and embrace their role, like Rayzer and Peters did during their time here.  This has been a major deficiency in the Sabres roster for years.  

That said, who should the Sabres target that would be effective in this role and that would actually want to play here?  

For me, they should be looking at lower cost options like a Kurtis MacDermid.  He knows his role (5min a game, playing heavy, will fight anyone in the league), is 30 years old, and has never made more than $1M a year.  He won’t take minutes away from anyone, adds much needed toughness, knows what Ruff wants and is willing to do it, and would be willing to sign a cap friendly deal (I’m thinking 3x3.5M (1.17M AAV)).

÷

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

A bunch of Canucks bottom 6 are on expiring contracts: Joshua, Lafferty, Blueger. They know the role. 

Carrier out of Vegas. O’Brien from Phoenix, but I guaranteed Utah gives him a contract because of the value of that role for an expansion/new fan base.

Bring back Zack Kassian!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

For me, they should be looking at lower cost options like a Kurtis MacDermid.  He knows his role (5min a game, playing heavy, will fight anyone in the league), is 30 years old, and has never made more than $1M a year.  He won’t take minutes away from anyone, adds much needed toughness, knows what Ruff wants and is willing to do it, and would be willing to sign a cap friendly deal (I’m thinking 3x3.5M (1.17M AAV)).

MacDermid fits the role, but was acquired by the Devils three days before Ruff was fired. Not a lot of history there. An example of a somewhat similar player who has a history with Ruff and plays a similar role is Brendan Smith.  He played for Ruff in New York and New Jersey. He is a UFA and broke Bedard's jaw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

58 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Bring back Zack Kassian!!!

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

29 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Pegula and GMKA will bring back Zemgus and re-sign Krebs.....both of which I hope does NOT happen.

Teams rarely if ever let RFAs walk.  Occasionally traded but NHL GMs are hard wired for asset protection. 

20 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Vegas will be in a cap crunch. Chandler Stephenson would be a very good 2/3 C signing

Is it you that’s been saying it over and over or have about a dozen people on this site been parroting this idea? 

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

At the deadline 2 names they were rumoured to be going after were Boone Jenner from the Jackets and Noah Cates from the Flyers

Boone Jenner and Carrier would be great in that role, but I’d be a bit concerned with the injury history of both and the cap hit of Jenner.  Columbus would have to keep some of that salary.  

Carrier might be a good pickup and inexpensive 1yr contract, even if he only played 40-60 games.  He’d be an upgrade over Jost or Robinson for the 40 games each they played this season.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Vegas will be in a cap crunch. Chandler Stephenson would be a very good 2/3 C signing

I like the idea of Stephenson as a replacement for a bought out Skinner. If Krebs earns the 3C position then Stephenson can play wing. If Krebs does not earn the 3C then Stephenson plays centre. 

On 4/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I did notice this right away. I wondered if it was his way of saying Sabres needed that added to the roster (which they do) or if it was just a coincidence because they are local media guys and he's probably friends with both of them. Could just be a coincidence due to that.

Dakota Joshua likely gets re-signed by Vancouver but I'd make him an offer. Liam O'Brien is a bargain basement tough guy. Not a particularly good tough guy but tougher than anything on our roster. William Carrier would be good. Max Domi's a bit of a risk as no team seems to like him long term but he's a definite rat if you want one of those on your bottom unit. 

The best plan would probably be via a trade. Most of the good tough guys are signed right now. Give up some talent for the toughness we need and preferrably get a guy who can actually play a little and not be a liability. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2024 at 2:58 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I did notice this right away. I wondered if it was his way of saying Sabres needed that added to the roster (which they do) or if it was just a coincidence because they are local media guys and he's probably friends with both of them. Could just be a coincidence due to that.

Rayzer maybe, but Peters and Ruff are not buddy-buddy based on comments by him on AfterTheWhistle.  This is why I’m hopeful Ruff already knows what this team needs and will make sure Adams knows too.  

4 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Rayzer maybe, but Peters and Ruff are not buddy-buddy based on comments by him on AfterTheWhistle.  This is why I’m hopeful Ruff already knows what this team needs and will make sure Adams knows too.  

Well idk, but maybe he wants to play nice since he's back in town? Wipe the slate clean? In any event he did name check him so maybe he was in fact saying Sabres need a tough guy/fighter. 

• Like (+1) 1