NHL Playoffs (First Round) discussion

SwampD

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe Peterka? Debrusk has pretty much settled in to what JJ gave this year. So JJ would have a higher upside but would we say no to another 23-24 

What do you think he'd cost. Looking at his contract I'd say he'd want 5x$7.5M or so at least.

Edited by ...
Typing on a phone

1 hour ago, ... said:

Is DeBrusk going to be one of those guys we try and acquire this summer? 

I wouldn't. He's incredibly streaky and is likely to disappoint overall. He was good tonight, but that's definitely not every night. 

Man I love playoff hockey though. Watching this Bruins Leafs game I found myself thinking that even if the Sabres managed to make the playoffs they are so not ready for this. 

Leafs tried to be physical but this Bruins team looks more playoff ready than last year. Sweeney's deadline moves look like genius. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't. He's incredibly streaky and is likely to disappoint overall. He was good tonight, but that's definitely not every night. 

Man I love playoff hockey though. Watching this Bruins Leafs game I found myself thinking that even if the Sabres managed to make the playoffs they are so not ready for this. 

Leafs tried to be physical but this Bruins team looks more playoff ready than last year. Sweeney's deadline moves look like genius. 

I honestly think the Sabres would do better than you probably believe; against Boston we'd be overwhelmed but I don't think we'd look much more out of place than the Leafs are. 

• Like (+1) 1

Clearly Leafs look overwhelmed...their coach is kinda a Granato clone...the team is horrible defenseively. Soon as they are knocked out they wil fire the coach and Sabres need to move fast to get their man before the Leafs are looking and take a coach we may want.

Also wonder about Colorado after they were absolutely destroyed by the Peg 7-0 at home in their 2nd last game of the season...   

1 hour ago, OverPowerYou said:

I just can’t get into these games. The Sabres have made me hockey depressed. There was a time when I would watch as much nhl playoffs as I could. 

It’s tough when you dislike both of the teams playing against each other. I don’t like any of Saturday’s teams.

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I honestly think the Sabres would do better than you probably believe; against Boston we'd be overwhelmed but I don't think we'd look much more out of place than the Leafs are. 

Can't agree. D would fold under this level of physicality. Our weaknesses are net front and defending when forechecked heavily. That's playoffs. We are not built for it. 

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Can't agree. D would fold under this level of physicality. Our weaknesses are net front and defending when forechecked heavily. That's playoffs. We are not built for it. 

So, last off-season, I was optimistic and believed KA would make more significant changes. You were pessimistic, and obviously proven correct. It's not very happy making, however, to simply have no plausible hope. I do believe there are sufficient talent and assets to make a leap forward. I still think competent, veteran coaching that will hold a young team accountable can make substantial differences. Surely, they can find a coach that will at least raise the PP to close to ordinary.

But no doubt, the mix is wrong. The question is does KA properly appreciate that, and how hard would it be to transform the roster so that getting to the playoffs isn't followed by rapid dismissal and embarrassment. I don't want to have endured 13 years of nothing only to see that happen.

Edited by Dr. Who

Just started 3rd… Panthers 2-1 over Lightning on PP…

PP was 3-54 before this goal… Shades of Sabres…

Hits were 40-37 after two periods…

Hamilton said Hits don’t matter… Hahaha.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

The Florida teams are a better match-up that I anticipated.

I’m in Sarasota… Tampa just up the road… Rootin’ for Lightning… but Florida is tough… Unless they’ve figured out their PP, edge goes to TB.

I’ve always enjoyed the western conference games so much better. The colors, the logos, the late nights, the speed, the scoring, the hitting. Even the fans are more into it. Eastern teams are so boring in my opinion 

Edited by OverPowerYou

Ha… So much for that… Nice last minute save by Bobrovsky…

Wow… 3-2 with 8 seconds left… Too little too late…