Baseless Rumormongering: Reports that Terry Pegula is selling ALL teams other than the Bills

matter2003

14 hours ago, Sabre The Cup said:

It wouldn’t be that crazy for Pegula to change his mind in 6 months all things considered. Some people yell NO when it’s really a maybe but they’re just not ready yet. 

Let's hope this story is true and the buyer is good for the city and the team. 

Especially if he decided he has too much on his plate with Kim not really able to help much.

For baseless rumour (h/t Smell) mongering, it got the big hitters in the media to run it down. That tells me there's smoke but maybe not yet fire. No way Wawrow et al were going to ignore the Internet chatter.

Then the news that there has been an NHL approved party interested in buying the team. Think that happens by accident? Approval implies due diligence by the league re: the interested party. Seems like a big deal.

Does the league want TP to sell? Is he not selling out of spite? Was the offer merely too low?

So while this wasn't the pants anaconda I was hoping for, my garter snake is still at half staff as I write this.

If Thorny likes this post, all bets are off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

For baseless rumour (h/t Smell) mongering, it got the big hitters in the media to run it down. That tells me there's smoke but maybe not yet fire. No way Wawrow et al were going to ignore the Internet chatter.

Then the news that there has been an NHL approved party interested in buying the team. Think that happens by accident? Approval implies due diligence by the league re: the interested party. Seems like a big deal.

Does the league want TP to sell? Is he not selling out of spite? Was the offer merely too low?

So while this wasn't the pants anaconda I was hoping for, my garter snake is still at half staff as I write this.

There is smoke. Stories like this do not come out without reason. Unless someone shows me that owners get approached by approved buyers all the time - well then ok, I will dismiss it. But the fact the league even thought TP was approachable is so very telling based on my limited understanding on how these things work for major sports teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, oddoublee said:

There is smoke. Stories like this do not come out without reason. Unless someone shows me that owners get approached by approved buyers all the time - well then ok, I will dismiss it. But the fact the league even thought TP was approachable is so very telling based on my limited understanding on how these things work for major sports teams. 

Fingers crossed. The timing is also interesting.

Did I miss the earlier reporting that there was a serious party interested in buying?

41 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

if they stay in buffalo, there is no way they have appreciated that much. Market is too small... If sold for a higher multiple it is to move them and avoid the franchise fee. They are not worth close to a billion in our market.

Pittsburgh sold for 900 million, and a good chunk of that was the real estate around the new and old rinks. Fenway group was going to walk away without that included. 

Forbes latest valuation is $750MM for the Sabres. But the team is still at or near the bottom of all NHL team values. Same with the Bills in the NFL 

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Did I miss the earlier reporting that there was a serious party interested in buying?

nothing you missed - just warwow saying he heard he was approached 6 months ago and told the interested party no. literally zero news or leaks saying anything else. 

19 hours ago, SDS said:

First of all, that is a tweet from a place called 12ozsports.com. They reference having multiple sources, but none of them are named. There is nothing confirming this anywhere. Not even a hint of it.

To be precise a contributor to that site tweeted it. And unnamed sources are a staple of journalism. Wouldn't confirmation have to come from the team or league?

Having said all that, it doesn't seem like there's much to go on here.

I just don't think your reasons are good ones.

I like this thread.

Every once in a while I like to be reminded of just what a steaming pile of garbage Twitter (and, no, Elon, you douche, I will not call it X) is and why I never click on links.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

To be precise a contributor to that site tweeted it. And unnamed sources are a staple of journalism. Wouldn't confirmation have to come from the team or league?

Having said all that, it doesn't seem like there's much to go on here.

I just don't think your reasons are good ones.

If you think this is bad, you should see what happens on TBD. Some mods over there are on serious power trips like the dudes who got bullied in high school that are now cops taking it out on everyone.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Good lord. 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You’re almost there. 

The league is forcing him to sell. 

Think about it. 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The big hitters in the media addressed it because lots of people weren't smart enough to spot that the whole thing was based on a complete ***** story pushed by a ridiculous nobody on Twitter and regurgitated elsewhere as such obvious clickbait even Stevie Wonder would've been able to see it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The big hitters in the media addressed it because lots of people weren't smart enough to spot that the whole thing was based on a complete ***** story pushed by a ridiculous nobody on Twitter and regurgitated elsewhere as such obvious clickbait even Stevie Wonder would've been able to see it.

Or they responded immediately because it’s a touchy subject right now.