Peyton Krebs, would you keep him?

LGR4GM

4 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

I'm here, well 3C. Poor man's Derek Roy?  I think there's a skilled pest here just waiting to blossom.  

Poor man's? Like, so poor he's living in a large cardboard box poor, if so.

And, cripes - now you've made me miss Derek Roy.

This team would have made the playoffs this year if peak Derek Roy were on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Poor man's? Like, so poor he's living in a large cardboard box poor, if so.

And, cripes - now you've made me miss Derek Roy.

This team would have made the playoffs this year if peak Derek Roy were on the roster.

Haha....sausage grabbing Mary's too tho.  Good times.

Little to no trade value at this point in his career.  As an RFA, make him the QO.  Worst case scenario for less than $1m cap hit he is the 13th forward.  If he can’t hit that bar come October, waive him to Rochester.  Either he clears and is a good asset for the Amerks, or he is claimed, and is chalked up to…oh well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'd like to see Krebs center a line with some offensive talent before tossing him out with the bath water.  I recall he centered for Quinn and JJ in Rochester for a brief stint and did well with them (4 + 11 = 15 in 18 games).  His +/- was terrible then, but he ended this season with +2. 

12 hours ago, inkman said:

I think you could get a plugger on a bad contract from a team with a dearth of skill.  Colombia?  San Jose?  Idk just spitballing. 

He’s just inconsequential at this point.  He doesn’t scream “get him off my team” like Skinner or Olofsson.  

Truth!  I scream at him every game.  No hockey sense at all.

Best to wait and see what the new coach wants...hopefully the new coach will be one who can get the best out of his players and maybe help guys like Krebs find his game. Or, converesly, the new coach may tell KA which need to go. Krebs value is so low that it really does not matter either way. Far more important issues to be addressed for sure, Having saifd that, Vegas drafted him I believe, and they sure seem to know what they are doing, so maybe with some work from a new coach he can become a valuable asset moving forward.

Edited by sabrefanday1
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

I'd like to see Krebs center a line with some offensive talent before tossing him out with the bath water.  I recall he centered for Quinn and JJ in Rochester for a brief stint and did well with them (4 + 11 = 15 in 18 games).  His +/- was terrible then, but he ended this season with +2. 

He centered a line with Jeff Skinner who had 24g this season and Skinner scored 0 with Krebs. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He centered a line with Jeff Skinner who had 24g this season and Skinner scored 0 with Krebs. 

You might have the causality wrong here?  Most of Skinner's goals come when he's on a line with two other very good players (like TNT and Tuch).  Who was centering for him when he was in Krueger's doghouse and how many did he score then? 

Regardless, my point was I'd like to see Krebs with 2 young, offensively talented, north-south skaters (again) before I give up on him.  Maybe Benson and Savoie (or Kulich)? 

11 minutes ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

You might have the causality wrong here?  Most of Skinner's goals come when he's on a line with two other very good players (like TNT and Tuch).  Who was centering for him when he was in Krueger's doghouse and how many did he score then? 

Regardless, my point was I'd like to see Krebs with 2 young, offensively talented, north-south skaters (again) before I give up on him.  Maybe Benson and Savoie (or Kulich)? 

I'm most of the way there with you.  If, IF you got an offer for him or he was requested by another team in a package for something of value, by all means trade him. But if not (and I personally think its likely he won't have too much value to anyone else at this point), might as well just sign him to a low cost deal and let him try to show you something (maybe a summer of training and some new line-mates help). If he doesn't show you any improvement, waive him and off to Rochester he goes.  No real harm.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Best to wait and see what the new coach wants...hopefully the new coach will be one who can get the best out of his players and maybe help guys like Krebs find his game. Or, converesly, the new coach may tell KA which need to go. Krebs value is so low that it really does not matter either way. Far more important issues to be addressed for sure, Having saifd that, Vegas drafted him I believe, and they sure seem to know what they are doing, so maybe with some work from a new coach he can become a valuable asset moving forward.

I agree for the most part, except for the bolded above. Vegas made good expansion draft picks, they made trades that helped, but they have been pretty awful at drafting young guys.

The other than one guy (Nick Suzki who they traded), the most CAREER goals anyone has scored that they drafted is 29 by Cody Glass (and he pretty much is now a bust, or at least 'just another guy'.  Of their first and early 2nd round picks you have Glass (borderline bust), Suzuki (the one guy that is ok), Brannstrom (traded to Ottawa, maybe a #7 level D-man), Hague (decent 3rd pair D-man, below average 2nd pair guy), Morozov (couldn't cut it in the AHL so he's back in the AHL), Krebs (who we are talking about now), Korczak (2nd round D-man can't break into NHL going into 5th year), and then none of the guys drafted in the last 4 drafts have any significant NHL time but none of them look like top legit prospects.

Yes, Vegas has traded away some picks and has been drafting lower in the first round most of the time, but besides Arizona (who is the worst drafting team by far in the modern era), Vegas might actually be near the top at drafting poorly. The thing they might be good at is sending away those guys they drafted to other teams for stuff of value before the rest of the league knows there isn't much too them.

40 minutes ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

Krebs doesn't drive play. His shot is mediocre at best. His passing average because his vision is average. I could put him with Quinn and Peterka/Benson and I think we would see his play improve but you would see his wingers play disprove? decline? be worse. 

Only thing I would add is if you put him between Benson and Savoie/Kulich the next common refrain around here will be "oh but he had a young guy in his 2nd season and rookie as a winger so that's why he wasn't good" If you believe that Krebs is good or can be, then put him between Cozens and Quinn for a game and see what he does. 

32 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm most of the way there with you.  If, IF you got an offer for him or he was requested by another team in a package for something of value, by all means trade him. But if not (and I personally think its likely he won't have too much value to anyone else at this point), might as well just sign him to a low cost deal and let him try to show you something (maybe a summer of training and some new line-mates help). If he doesn't show you any improvement, waive him and off to Rochester he goes.  No real harm.

I disagree. By keeping him you are not upgrading him and in your scenario the opportunity to upgrade him is now gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

"Pest" is the only positive attribute that has been used to describe his current game. Everything else is conjecture/wishful thinking. 

The only question is whether people are willing to wait to see if there is a pony in the pile of manure. Might take four years to answer that.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

"Pest" is the only positive attribute that has been used to describe his current game. Everything else is conjecture/wishful thinking. 

The only question is whether people are willing to wait to see if there is a pony in the pile of manure. Might take four years to answer that.

Danny Devito Smh GIF

Quick trigger… Kid exhibits High Compete… is 23… 6’ 185 lbs… Can put on 10-15 lbs of muscle with work and time… Would have no issue signing Krebs 2 yrs for $5-6M to let him find his identity unless the new Coach doesn’t see any potential.

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Quick trigger… Kid exhibits High Compete… is 23… 6’ 185 lbs… Can put on 10-15 lbs of muscle with work and time… Would have no issue signing Krebs 2 yrs for $5-6M to let him find his identity unless the new Coach doesn’t see any potential.

I'm sorry, but what is this number? 5-6million? Those guys drop 50pts a year. Krebs has never cracked 30. Dude is worth whatever his qualifying offer is and that's about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I'm sorry, but what is this number? 5-6million? Those guys drop 50pts a year. Krebs has never cracked 30. Dude is worth whatever his qualifying offer is and that's about it. 

Total money.

• Like (+1) 1