Fire Kevin Adams

Richard

1 hour ago, phil_soisson said:

It's a legitimate question. In his presser, he was emphatic that this debacle of a season was on him. 

What is he suppose to do, put all the blame on the players and coaches and take no responsibility himself. Good leaders share in the blame and take responsibility. 🙄

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:
2 hours ago, phil_soisson said:

It's a legitimate question. In his presser, he was emphatic that this debacle of a season was on him. 

What is he suppose to do, put all the blame on the players and coaches and take no responsibility himself. Good leaders share in the blame and take responsibility. 🙄

The blame isn't as important as the solution.

I think everyone on this forum would agree that Donny was a great guy, good at developing players, meh at game coaching at the NHL level.  He had to go.

The board is split as to whether Kevyn is capable of building a contending team.  This has to be weighed against the pros and cons of giving Kevyn another year or two versus turning it over to someone new, which brings its own risks and may further delay the current build or event trigger a new rebuild.

In simple terms, TPegs looks at progress (or lack thereof) to date, and has to figure out if Kevyn is part of the problem or part of the solution.

He's given every other GM two coaching hires.  Kevyn had the "penalty" of having to run the previous coach back at the beginning of his administration.  Giving him one more coaching hire follows the TPegs pattern.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think everyone on this forum would agree that Donny was a great guy, good at developing players, meh at game coaching at the NHL level.  He had to go.

The board is split as to whether Kevyn is capable of building a contending team.  This has to be weighed against the pros and cons of giving Kevyn another year or two versus turning it over to someone new, which brings its own risks and may further delay the current build or event trigger a new rebuild.

In simple terms, TPegs looks at progress (or lack thereof) to date, and has to figure out if Kevyn is part of the problem or part of the solution.

He's given every other GM two coaching hires.  Kevyn had the "penalty" of having to run the previous coach back at the beginning of his administration.  Giving him one more coaching hire follows the TPegs pattern.

How can you have both of these things? I don’t agree about Donny. How can we make a decision about whet he could do “at an NHL level” when Kevyn never iced and NHL team for him? Not a complete one anyway.

I don't really think I've "having" either of these things.  I'm just trying to capture the sentiment of the forum.  Overall I think everyone here feels that Donny was at his max, perhaps a little over his head, at the NHL level.

There are some people here who feel the same about Kevyn, there are others who still think he's doing a good job.

4 hours ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

What is he supposed to do?  If the buck stops with him, as he claims, then the honorable thing is to resign. He essentially gave"responsibility" lip service and you  apparently bought it.

• dislike 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

True re: the “penalty” but he did re-sign him IIRC 

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

How can you have both of these things? I don’t agree about Donny. How can we make a decision about whet he could do “at an NHL level” when Kevyn never iced and NHL team for him? Not a complete one anyway.

We can judge him relative to the roster. I don’t think we “underachieved” nearly as much as many, but I do think Granato’s coaching left a few points on the table 

something like that would only presumably increase relative to a more apt coach once the roster improves. But that’s just my evaluation 

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

True re: the “penalty” but he did re-sign him IIRC 

Nope

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolschram/2021/03/17/nhls-last-place-buffalo-sabres-fire-coach-ralph-krueger/?sh=7d6e07ce54a1

Krueger, 61, was in the second year of a three-year contract which paid him $3.75 million per season.

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We can judge him relative to the roster. I don’t think we “underachieved” nearly as much as many, but I do think Granato’s coaching left a few points on the table 

something like that would only presumably increase relative to a more apt coach once the roster improves. But that’s just my evaluation 

How did we not underachieve? We were worse than the year before when all the "experts" were saying this is was supposed to be the year we challenge and possibly make the playoffs.

Do you believe this year's roster was worse than the year before? We added Benson and we got decent goaltending after UPL stepped up. How is the lack of improvement not on the coach? 

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

How did we not underachieve? We were worse than the year before when all the "experts" were saying this is was supposed to be the year we challenge and possibly make the playoffs.

Do you believe this year's roster was worse than the year before? We added Benson and we got decent goaltending after UPL stepped up. How is the lack of improvement not on the coach? 

Because we overachieved last year. Or, at least, there was a perception the roster was better than it was when in reality it was what the standings said it was: 20th

Is 22nd a drastic underachievement? Nah, it’s more less another accurate reflection of the roster

Same roster with other teams a bit more aware of an offense they needed to shut down, the various Tage thompsons they needed to key on 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Because we overachieved last year. Or, at least, there was a perception the roster was better than it was when it reality it was what the standings said it was: 20th

Is 22nd a drastic underachievement? Nah, it’s more less another accurate reflection of the roster

Same roster with other teams a bit more aware of an offense they needed to shut down, the various Tage thompsons they needed to key on 

Oh I see, so your argument is we were not really as good as our record last year and thus we are basically the same. I can accept that logic, but ultimately it's still on the coach to get the maximum out of his roster and to make them better and he didn't do that. Inconsistency and sometimes lack of effort or intensity were hallmarks of this team. It's clear listening to the exit interviews that :accountability" would be a new thing going forward with a new coach and was clearly not part of this year's team. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh I see, so your argument is we were not really as good as our record last year and thus we are basically the same. I can accept that logic, but ultimately it's still on the coach to get the maximum out of his roster and to make them better and he didn't do that. Inconsistency and sometimes lack of effort or intensity were hallmarks of this team. It's clear listening to the exit interviews that :accountability" would be a new thing going forward with a new coach and was clearly not part of this year's team. 

Well technically I am saying we WERE our record last year and somehow a 20th place league finish (likely because of on over-reliance on sabres-relative comps) developed a connotation far too big for that team’s britches

this is a straightforward convo because it’s another glaring instance where “hindsight need not apply”. Adams has his strengths, he certainly has his weaknesses, but perhaps more than any GM I’ve seen his errors are telegraphed.

Why would we be surprised a “run it back” strategy that every farmer and their mom said was quite risky blew up in their face? This doesn’t require a deep dive 

BREAKING: Roster that finished ~20 that didn’t do anything in offseason is ~20th again!

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Well technically I am saying we WERE our record last year and somehow a 20th place league finish (likely because of on over-reliance on sabres-relative comps) developed a connotation to big for that team’s britches

this is a straightforward convo because it’s another glaring instance where “hindsight need not apply”. Adams has his strengths, he certainly has his weaknesses, but perhaps more than any GM I’ve seen his errors are telegraphed.

We would we be surprised a “run it back” strategy that every farmer and their mom said was quite risky blew up in the face? This doesn’t require a deep dive 

BREAKING: Roster that finished ~20 that didn’t do anything in offseason is ~20th again!

Can't disagree with that. Clifton wasn't enough. Adams has put too much emphasis on developing the draft picks and waiting. 

I am somewhat hopeful that maybe this plan was always the plan in the back of his mind. The Granato extension was a thank you for your service reward for running a rookie development camp but Adams always had it in his mind that Granato would not be the coach to take it to the next level when he thought the kids were ripe and ready. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Can't disagree with that. Clifton wasn't enough. Adams has put too much emphasis on developing the draft picks and waiting. 

I am somewhat hopeful that maybe this plan was always the plan in the back of his mind. The Granato extension was a thank you for your service reward for running a rookie development camp but Adams always had it in his mind that Granato would not be the coach to take it to the next level when he thought the kids were ripe and ready. 

It’s possible.

IMO I personally think it more likely Adams somewhat bought into the hype as well and thought we’d be pretty safely in the playoffs without doing much 

it’s not even an absurd stance. It’s human.

Unfortunately I also feel rightly compelled to evaluate him by the standards of being a highly paid professional who’s job it is to provide a competent product: swing and a miss. Strike one. And you know my stance on Adams:

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It’s possible.

IMO I personally think it more likely Adams somewhat bought into the hype as well and thought we’d be pretty safely in the playoffs without doing much 

it’s not even an absurd stance. It’s human.

Unfortunately I also feel rightly compelled to evaluate him by the standards of being a highly paid professional who’s job it is to provide a competent product: swing and a miss. Strike one. And you know my stance on Adams:

I actually agree. I think Adams has failed miserably so far but nothing I can about it so I have to hope that this time he gets it right. Coaches are always fall guy number one and what we've seen, as I've said in other posts, is the frequent life cycle taking place. First you change players, then you change coaches, then you get changed. 

19 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Sounds like it's time to sign that big free agents to brainwash us fans again.

Welcome to buffalo stamkos

UFAs signings are the breeding ground for over the hill vets getting bad contracts from desperate teams. Stamkos is interesting but I don’t foresee it happening.  

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't have a problem with moving on from Adams. He's made a lot of bad moves. 

The only problem is I have no faith the next hire will be any better.  Unless COO Canoli is doing the hiring. Then maybe…