Off-season Game Plan 2024

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

What do you give up to acquire Nelson?  What do the Isles need?

Probably a young player seeing as they have few to none; though do we know if Nelson is a good leadership guy or malcontent?

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/report-rod-brind-amour-unsure-on-his-future-with-carolina-hurricanes-1.2113947

Wow, interesting.

”No, you guys misunderstood, Lindy was brought in to work in the front office. Here is our new Head Coach Rod Brindamour”

I have heard a couple times now that Rod is not a fan of Pegula at all so even if available I doubt he would come to Buffalo.

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/report-rod-brind-amour-unsure-on-his-future-with-carolina-hurricanes-1.2113947

Wow, interesting.

”No, you guys misunderstood, Lindy was brought in to work in the front office. Here is our new Head Coach Rod Brindamour”

I have heard a couple times now that Rod is not a fan of Pegula at all so even if available I doubt he would come to Buffalo.

Frankly if RBA was interested in our job I'd suspect Ruff would honestly be fine with a presidential position but sadly I don't think Mrs. RBA would be in any way willing to move here

14 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Wow, interesting.

Hmm.  If only.

From the article (which disagrees with the headline):

Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon told DeCock that he believes a contract extension is only awaiting final touches, with the team's focus currently on playoff success. 

“I think it’s all but done,” Dundon said. “[General manager] Don [Waddell] and him are working on it. I don’t think there’s anything there.

I think it's a clickbait article and nothing more.

Edited by Doohickie

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

My condolences.

The contrast with my Sabres fandom actually allows the Jays to remain incredibly fresh. Making the playoffs is fairly satisfying in and of itself: that’s what these teams have taught me and my opinion thus informed.

Which actually fits on nicely with this bit from Harrington I liked that’s on the front page of the site right now:

'Ruff’s troops need to get into the postseason, take some five-game loss in Round 1 and then we can all get on to the process of aiming toward much longer hockey springs around here. And he’ll be a hero. You might argue that’s a pretty low standard to have and you’re right. But that’s simply the reality of where this organization is.' 

Edited by Thorny

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

Lol I’m a die hard Jays fan I know all of this already - but thank you for attempting to explain things to me as if I am 5

You are *literally* doing the “it’s all Tage Thompson!” thing again, but here haha. I do not care about this argument, it is not an interesting argument 

And, I absolutely cannot stress this last part enough: *it is not relevant to what I am saying*

GM’s are allowed to do things. Your go-to argument is even more absurdly placed here as the signs with Vladdy have been there since leaving Dunedin. This isn’t a one year thing, and their approach here was particularly unusual b/c unlike the Sabres, the Jays usually care about having and meeting some level of expectations. Even had they gotten the exact Vladdy of last season, they be in dire need of help right now. Yes, it was obvious the team needed more help this year. It is not a surprise Vladdy didn’t bounce back to “form” yet. We may never see 2021 Vladdy again, truth be told. The idea is constructing a team in light of what you actually have - not what you were hoping it would be 

- - -

the “they were good but lost in the playoffs cause Vladdy shut it down” is the chef’s kiss portion of this. You are cherry picking stats as if it’s a theme. Check the stats of the other players in those games.

Most importantly: go look up “8-1 Jays, John Schneider pulls Kevin Gausman” 

edit: for the record, the constant bashing of Vladdy online is annoying anyways. I think he can be and is a good player. I can live with that. I think he can and will get back to his production from last year, this year. If they continually expect greatness, when that’s proven to be dicey at best, that’s on them. 

Again, as with our conversation a couple of weeks ago, my response was not 'targeted' at you.  It was meant to just join in the conversation, to let anyone interested in this conversation know just how far he has fallen from expectations (I know a couple of semi-casual baseball fans that remember 2021 and still are thinking he is producing at a top 10 player level).  When I listen to 590 out of Toronto, there are still some callers, and even some 'hosts' who are waiting for him to return to 2021 form any day now and think that will turn the whole team around.

I don't follow baseball that much anymore, but I went to my first Jays game in exhibition stadium as a kid, and have followed them since, so I have a soft spot for the Jays...and I myself fell into the 'trap' (if that is what it is/was) that he would be a mvp level player year after year after year.

I just responded to your post as it was a way to 'join in' the conversation with some continuity to the topic, not to dispute anything you said.  A lot of my posts are not to drive home a point...but rather I see a topic, I think to myself "he has dropped off in production, I wonder if its as bad as I think", then I do the research myself and If I find the results interesting, I simply post them to see if anyone else finds them as interesting as I do. (just as I do often when looking up stats about a Sabres player and posting them.  Often its not to 'convince' someone else of something or to prove my point..but often to just put something out there in a statistical way that others may not have realized, just as I didn't realize until I did the research.)

Edited by mjd1001

42 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Again, as with our conversation a couple of weeks ago, my response was not 'targeted' at you.  It was meant to just join in the conversation, to let anyone interested in this conversation know just how far he has fallen from expectations (I know a couple of semi-casual baseball fans that remember 2021 and still are thinking he is producing at a top 10 player level).  When I listen to 590 out of Toronto, there are still some callers, and even some 'hosts' who are waiting for him to return to 2021 form any day now and think that will turn the whole team around.

I don't follow baseball that much anymore, but I went to my first Jays game in exhibition stadium as a kid, and have followed them since, so I have a soft spot for the Jays...and I myself fell into the 'trap' (if that is what it is/was) that he would be a mvp level player year after year after year.

I just responded to your post as it was a way to 'join in' the conversation with some continuity to the topic, not to dispute anything you said.  A lot of my posts are not to drive home a point...but rather I see a topic, I think to myself "he has dropped off in production, I wonder if its as bad as I think", then I do the research myself and If I find the results interesting, I simply post them to see if anyone else finds them as interesting as I do. (just as I do often when looking up stats about a Sabres player and posting them.  Often its not to 'convince' someone else of something or to prove my point..but often to just put something out there in a statistical way that others may not have realized, just as I didn't realize until I did the research.)

My mistake and apologies 

9 hours ago, TheAud said:

Stephenson and Monahan…yes.

Domi? Sorry I can’t deal with a Domi in a Sabres uni. 

He’s in pursuit of Mike Sillinger’s record of 12 different teams. Next team is number 8.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 1

Starting to wonder if we could see 4 to 6 new players on the opening night roster 

Tuch, Cozens, Tage, Quinn, Benson , Greenway and JJP are pretty well guaranteed a spot at this point.  
my Guess is that Girgs is brought back as well 

I could see 3 vet UFAs brought in along with Savoie.  If Kulich was a winger I'd have him with even odds with Savoie to be the 1 prospect to play opening night but since he isn't ill lean towards Savoie 

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He could be MacKinnon or he could be Ralph Intranuovo.

95% of the thread is “instant no”.

This fanbase doesn’t deserve the playoffs. Sorry.

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I want the Sabres to win now.  I want to hold the team accountable.  I don’t want to make any sacrifices to make it happen.

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He could be MacKinnon or he could be Ralph Intranuovo.

Such an awesome reference. (No way he's McKinnon 😁)

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Would you do the deal?

It would be the ultimate expression of short-term thinking: clearly makes the team better, but for one year only.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I want the Sabres to win now.  I want to hold the team accountable.  I don’t want to make any sacrifices to make it happen.

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Sure, in a vacuum. But Ehlers is a pending UFA.

My take is you shouldn't have to give up that much to get that player; And, if you're giving up that asset, better to use it on a different kind of player.

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My take is you shouldn't have to give up that much to get that player; And, if you're giving up that asset, better to use it on a different kind of player.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your take, then

obviously the fact Ehlers is only under contact for next year triggers “in a vacuum” for sabres fans because we’ve been conditioned to put zero value on the immediate. 1 year isn’t anything. It’s not one year with one potential playoffs at all, which would be one more than we’ve seen in 13 years: it has no worth. We only measure in the long term. Ehlers not being under contract beyond that is, apparently, more of an obstacle to being a good NHLer in Buffalo than a guy who may never been a good NHLer for anyone, when if it happens likely results in a player inferior to Ehlers…in a time period significantly more inefficient to Ehlers relative to our timeline 

we’ll happily take the risk with Savoie tho because *MYSTERY BOX* 🥳

Your take is fine: in a vacuum. In the real world, what it allows you to do is hold your head high while keeping the asset, because while in your ideal world you don’t wanna pay that much: in the real world, you don’t get Ehlers.

But I’m glad you won the battle of asset value. The war of finding a way to make the playoffs nonetheless continues 

- - - 

I do enjoy me some armchair GM mode video game, tho. Collecting all these prospects and listing out all their accomplishments in Junior every year is a swell pass time 

Edited by Thorny

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Honestly, I have no idea if this is a fair value trade.  I’m more commenting on what we see here everyday. Everyone wants to win.  Noone wants to give up a magic bean to do it.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Honestly, I have no idea if this is a fair value trade.  I’m more commenting on what we see here everyday. Everyone wants to win.  Noone wants to give up a magic bean to do it.

People don’t want to win. 

They want winning to emerge as a product of their carefully tailored online collection 

That’s the truth 

• Like (+1) 1