Off-season Game Plan 2024

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

OK, coach is hired, vibes, accountability talk.

The real work needs to begin. 

Step 1: Fill out the staff with quality NHL level coaches

Step 2: Identify what pieces Ruff feels are missing from the lineup. A checking line with some energy and grit is a must. Centre that can win key draws. Sounds like Lindy wants an enforcer type he can move in and out of the lineup.

Step 3: Adams needs to step up and get these pieces. Prospects and draft picks need to be on the table for quality NHL players

You can tell by Adams demeanour today that he knows his ass is over the fire and he better deliver.

He may be, or maybe not, but I didn't get that at all from his press conference.

My thoughts on what they need to do. 

Buh Bye to : Jost, Olofsson, Comrie, Clague, Bryson

Trade Joki & Krebs and whatever or package him for a sturdy physical 3rd line center or RHD that is defensive and physical.

Add some Benson but bigger (2 players please)

Package whomever for a top 6 winger with some size and physicality

I know Skinner is not going to be going anywhere. He is worthless on the bottom 6 so needs to be playing with talent.

Time to use some of this teams capital (Prospects and picks) to make this team harder to play against. No more undersized players that stick check. No more stick checking dmen. We have plenty of those. This team needs to really add what it is missing and this is the year it must be done. 

And stop paying players big money to play in Rochester!!! That is total incompetence!!! 

The Sabres are not up against the cap, so I would buyout Skinner this offseason.  The numbers are not outrageous...

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/jeff-skinner

I have no interest in re-signing Jost, Clague, Comrie, Olofsson, Girgensons, Bryson, Stillman.  Maybe Robinson at a reduced salary.

Trade Joker alone or in a package for forward help.  Trade 1st pick for forward help or RHD.

Kulich, Rosen, Savoie, Östlund, etc...all in Rochester to start the season

Top 6(no particular line combos) Cozens, Thompson, Peterka, Quinn, Tuch & ???

Bottom 6 + 13th & 14th forwards(no particular combos) Greenway, Benson, Krebs, ???, ???, ???, ??? &  ???

Top 6 defenseman + 7th & 8th(no particular pairings) Dahlin(L), Byrum(L), Power(L), Clifton(R), Johnson(L), ???, ??? & ???

Assuming 2 goalies, that leaves 8 spots to be filled with most important being a top 4 RHD, a top 6 LW/RW, solid 2 way 3C, and a LOT of 4th line grit.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The first Expected Buffalo Mock Offseason is up.

William Karlsson is acquired for Matt Savoie and a 2024 2nd. 

Tyler Toffoli is signed two years 7 million AAV

Jokiharju traded to Utah for a 2nd 

I don't think I make that trade for Karlsson, perhaps with Östlund or Wahlberg I do but not with Savoie. After all, Vegas has to gain cap space.

Otherwise I'm ok with both moves.

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The Sabres are not up against the cap, so I would buyout Skinner this offseason.  The numbers are not outrageous...

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/jeff-skinner

I have no interest in re-signing Jost, Clague, Comrie, Olofsson, Girgensons, Bryson, Stillman.  Maybe Robinson at a reduced salary.

Trade Joker alone or in a package for forward help.  Trade 1st pick for forward help or RHD.

Kulich, Rosen, Savoie, Östlund, etc...all in Rochester to start the season

Top 6(no particular line combos) Cozens, Thompson, Peterka, Quinn, Tuch & ???

Bottom 6 + 13th & 14th forwards(no particular combos) Greenway, Benson, Krebs, ???, ???, ???, ??? &  ???

Top 6 defenseman + 7th & 8th(no particular pairings) Dahlin(L), Byrum(L), Power(L), Clifton(R), Johnson(L), ???, ??? & ???

Assuming 2 goalies, that leaves 8 spots to be filled with most important being a top 4 RHD, a top 6 LW/RW, solid 2 way 3C, and a LOT of 4th line grit.

I doubt we buyout Skinner this offseason; its far more tolerable of numbers next year.

There’s honestly several areas of need, but imo by far the 2 we need to see go right are:

- a legit 3C. Not a 3C/4C tweeter but a legitimate C more in the mould of “middle 6”, if anything. Our top 2 guys are well slotted imo but not so secure in their relative status league wide in those positions to make upgrading the third guy anything other than mandatory. We need to upgrade at C merely so as to keep the output at that position safely “acceptable”, at a break even point of sorts where our strengths in other areas (D?) can hopefully be an x-factor. Without a 3C add, any roster areas where we have advantages relative to other teams probably just go towards digging out of a hole. We’d be an incomplete team without it: the Mittelstadt trade was clearly half of a re-shape 

-2nd thing isn’t an add, it’s a lack of one: keep rookies scarce or non-existent. Equally important.

- - - 

I’m not saying addressing these two things means we are all set, there’s more we need to do, just that I think missing on either of these likely represents an auto L. In truth there’s also another layer of additions to mould further from playoff contender to cup contender but WAY too much cart before horse to even go there yet. There’s are few more things we need for this year besides the two I mentioned, but i’m certainly not saying they need to think about that “next layer” yet. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

There are a couple of players that were in Rochester making more than what normal AHLers make. Stillman, Jost, i know there are more than them....

Stillman makes 1.35million. Jost makes 2million. I don't understand your point at all, this meant basically nothing for Buffalo this year. Adams shouldn't have signed such low value players, yes, but them playing in Rochester is basically irrelevant. 

You know there were more of them, like who? 

That was the point. Why are we paying players that much to play in rochester. Also Comrie was there when we had the 3 headed monster until someone grew the balls to send Levi down. They are all ONE WAY Contracts..... i know, not my money, but seems like a waste to me. 

11 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

That was the point. Why are we paying players that much to play in rochester. Also Comrie was there when we had the 3 headed monster until someone grew the balls to send Levi down. They are all ONE WAY Contracts..... i know, not my money, but seems like a waste to me. 

Unfortunately, they paid all those guys to play in Buffalo.  Thankfully, whomever realized they aren’t NHL players and sent them down.  This might be the weirdest take I’ve seen on this site and @PASabreFan posts here on the reg.  

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Every team has these tweeners. They are NHL depth that can play when injuries occur over an 82 game season.

I don’t see it as egregious. The Marlies won a Calder Cup with a lineup that rivalled some NHL payrolls.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

There’s honestly several areas of need, but imo by far the 2 we need to see go right are:

- a legit 3C. Not a 3C/4C tweeter but a legitimate C more in the mould of “middle 6”, if anything. Our top 2 guys are well slotted imo but not so secure in their relative status league wide in those positions to make upgrading the third guy anything other than mandatory. We need to upgrade at C merely so as to keep the output at that position safely “acceptable”, at a break even point of sorts where our strengths in other areas (D?) can hopefully be an x-factor. Without a 3C add, any roster areas where we have advantages relative to other teams probably just go towards digging out of a hole. We’d be an incomplete team without it: the Mittelstadt trade was clearly half of a re-shape 

-2nd thing isn’t an add, it’s a lack of one: keep rookies scarce or non-existent. Equally important.

- - - 

I’m not saying addressing these two things means we are all set, there’s more we need to do, just that I think missing on either of these likely represents an auto L. In truth there’s also another layer of additions to mould further from playoff contender to cup contender but WAY too much cart before horse to even go there yet. There’s are few more things we need for this year besides the two I mentioned, but i’m certainly not saying they need to think about that “next layer” yet. 

I would love C to be looked at as well - mainly because we just got rid of a very useful one in Mitts. Anyways...

I am curious what people think of Elias Lindholm as an option for this team. Playing out west, I don't have eyes on him. 

From a reputation standpoint - he is a two way center with some offensive skill - but looks like statistically he is on a down year - but his shooting percentage is way down below normal. 

Is this the type of Center the team needs?

57 minutes ago, inkman said:

Unfortunately, they paid all those guys to play in Buffalo.  Thankfully, whomever realized they aren’t NHL players and sent them down.  This might be the weirdest take I’ve seen on this site and @PASabreFan posts here on the reg.  

Whomever?

Weird: Levi's our starter!

1 hour ago, inkman said:

If that is the weirdest, you do not pay much attention to this board! LOL And no, most NHL teams do not pay 1 and 2 million for AHL Players. Could just be me and i am ok with that. To me it showed that management thought they were SABRES and then realized they were AHLers AFTER they signed them. Not to smart to me. 

On 4/16/2024 at 9:50 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

In Goal.  This might be the most interesting decisions to watch.  How much and how long do they re-sign UPL and whether they add a vet in order to leave Levi in Rochester another year (option A) or do they anoint (again) Levi as a NHL goalie in tandem with UPL (option B).  I suspect KA will go with option B.

"Plan B" will cost us another year without playoffs...

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The first Expected Buffalo Mock Offseason is up.

William Karlsson is acquired for Matt Savoie and a 2024 2nd. 

Tyler Toffoli is signed two years 7 million AAV

Jokiharju traded to Utah for a 2nd 

Toffoli is 2x3.5mil here right otherwise I can't imagine us doing this as it would effectively doom any hope of resigning Levi, Quinn and Peterka. 

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Berg said:

"Plan B" will cost us another year without playoffs...

I don’t think that will determine whether or not we make the playoffs.  With Ruff as the the coach, our D should be much better in zone than under Granato. That should make both goalies’ lives easier.  I think the defensive improvement will be one of the reasons we make the playoffs next season.  Don’t forget the tandem this season was UPL/Comrie and we ended up with a positive goal differential for the first time in over a decade, despite the offense taking two steps back.  

• Disagree 1

Sabres need 5-6 new forwards, IMO. That may come from promoting a couple of the young guys but that still means going out and getting some Vets. 

Still, a big issue was the huge production decline form our top 2 lines. I like JJ and Quinn (if he can stay healthy) but can TT, Tuch, Cozens and more wake up ? Is Skinner a buyout ?   Trying to blame bottom 6 guys like Jost,Krebs etc. for our issues is beyond silly. Our so called stars let us down. 

18 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Toffoli is 2x3.5mil here right otherwise I can't imagine us doing this as it would effectively doom any hope of resigning Levi, Quinn and Peterka. 

If you sign Toffoli for 2x3.5mil I think that is perfectly reasonable and not a hinderance at all to Levi, Quinn, or JJP. At worst it only overlaps those new deals by one year and Levi isn't going to break the bank. JJP probably needs to be signed this summer and Quinn, you might want to see what he looks like healthy but I would expect an absolute explosion from him next year. Still, I think you can manage the 1 year overlap on those contracts, especially if you move on from Skinner via trade this offseason or via buyout next offseason. You buy him out next offseason and you save roughly 6-7ish mil against the cap that first year which is all you need to get to the other side of Toffoli. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you sign Toffoli for 2x3.5mil I think that is perfectly reasonable and not a hinderance at all to Levi, Quinn, or JJP. At worst it only overlaps those new deals by one year and Levi isn't going to break the bank. JJP probably needs to be signed this summer and Quinn, you might want to see what he looks like healthy but I would expect an absolute explosion from him next year. Still, I think you can manage the 1 year overlap on those contracts, especially if you move on from Skinner via trade this offseason or via buyout next offseason. You buy him out next offseason and you save roughly 6-7ish mil against the cap that first year which is all you need to get to the other side of Toffoli. 

Expected Buffalo had Toffoli at 2x7mil which is where my concern came from. At 2x3.5 you can make it work with some maneuvering. With 2x7mil you have no real options besides losing 1 or hoping you can bridge all 3 at reasonable rates 

On 4/20/2024 at 9:08 AM, dudacek said:

What does this mean? How are players held accountable in the summer?

Byram was acquired because the Sabres needed a top 4 defenceman, place high value on his particular skill set, and don’t care as much as Sabrespace does about L/R balance.

I don’t question the fit - 3 very talented D is an asset, not a liability, and it’s not like these guys are the three Brian Campbell clones some seem to perceive them as. There have been plenty of examples over the years.

The better question is whether Byram (and to a lesser extent Power) can be the kind of player their draft status indicates they should be.

I question the money they will tie up for Dahlin, Power, and maybe Byram.   Plus Muel is getting paid.   

I don't see anyone moving people out, not enough physical presence with the mix we have.