GDT: 4/07/24 Buffalo Sabres @ Detroit Red Wings 1 PM, TV: TNT and Radio

bob_sauve28

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

A playoff team’s average age is at least 4 years older than Buffalo’s team.  Even Detroit’s team is 4 years older on average. 

That is the biggest reason this team cannot string wins.  We have 3 in row as our max.   

Sorry… No excuse @Pimlach… One if the reasons we didn’t win more than three in a row all season is we don’t have the right mix of skills, speed, and snark punctuated by a lack of winning veteran perspective… It is the GMs job to roster a competitive team… Adams failed, imo

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

What's more silly is thinking that the previous 13 seasons have anything to do with this group of young players.

Same owner for 13 seasons, go figure. It's starts at the top, not the players.

Edited by Claude Balls

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Bisonette telling us about Sabres bad habits.  He said the cross ice saucer passes by Quinn in the neutral zone are bad.  

Hmmm,  good to know. 

Bisonette is a regular hockey savant, he is; the Rain Man of hockey commentary. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Greenway delivers another no impact glancing check along the boards… smh.

Just now, Claude Balls said:

Same owner for 13 seasons, go figure. It's starts at the top, not either players.

Pegula has been the owner for approximately 25% of the Sabres Existence and has 50% of their playoff misses 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Better O-zone pressure… Took a whole period and an intermission to get their attention.

3 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Is there a way to see how many have muted a user?

I can think of a few names that may be atop that function. I've never used it myself, because some provide some well needed comedic relief. 

3 minutes ago, Believer said:

Greenway delivers another no impact glancing check along the boards… smh.

The one guy that should be dropping the gloves seems to be afraid to. Most likely coached not to.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Believer said:

Sorry… No excuse @Pimlach… One if the reasons we didn’t win more than three in a row all season is we don’t have the right mix of skills, speed, and snark punctuated by a lack of winning veteran perspective… It is the GMs job to roster a competitive team… Adams failed, imo

Real data.  The bottom 4-5 teams along with the Sabres have the youngest rosters, just like last year.   

Always, in every season, the youngest teams finish on the bottom.  

The winning streaks, or lack of, is directly related to two things  

1  coaching and getting them ready 

2  age/experience/leadership - they have to get themselves ready and be accountable to each other. 

We have enough speed and skill. We lack the right veteran know-how, and the leadership from within that comes with it.   

I agree that Adams is the primary reason for the roster construction.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sounds like I’m missing a fun game 🙄

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Real data.  The bottom 4-5 teams along with the Sabres have the youngest rosters, just like last year.   

Always, in every season, the youngest teams finish on the bottom.  

The winning streaks, or lack of, is directly related to two things  

1  coaching and getting them ready 

2  age/experience/leadership - they have to get themselves ready and be accountable to each other. 

We have enough speed and skill. We lack the right veteran know-how, and the leadership from within that comes with it.   

I agree that Adams is the primary reason for the roster construction.  

Honestly punch, I’m sick and tired of that excuse. They may be young in age, but they are fairly experienced with being professional NHL hockey players. It seems like the front office enjoys the “youngest team” title.

as for Adams being responsible. That’s true but, sadly, they will never get veterans worth a damn who because good veterans don’t want to come play for them.  You can put only so much lipstick on a pig. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Believer said:

As the talking heads on SportsCentre said also: "these players are young but have had a few seasons at the NHL level. They now know how the game is played at this level and unfortunately, it may fall back on the coaching". Not sure if it was Bieksa or Luke Gazdic etc. who mentioned that, but it is the truth. Also, it is the GM who filled the starting roster with all that youth and not enough vets if you want to play "the age of the team" card.

• Like (+1) 3

Detroit and Sabres latest rebuild are good ones to compare.  

Yzerman doing draft and develop plus bringing in veterans (Husso, Compher, Copp, Perron, Fabbri, Sprong, Kane, DeBrincat, Czarnik, Ghostisbehere, Petry  …) 

Adam’s brought in Greenway, Clifton, a bunch of $780k JAGS, and a few really old guys.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eman said:

As the talking heads on SportsCentre said also: "these players are young but have had a few seasons at the NHL level. They now know how the game is played at this level and unfortunately, it may fall back on the coaching". Not sure if it was Bieksa or Luke Gazdic etc. who mentioned that, but it is the truth. Also, it is the GM who filled the starting roster with all that youth and not enough vets if you want to play "the age of the team" card.

Wait….. Luke Gadzik is on a broadcast team?  I thought all he could do is grunt and snort.

Just now, Weave said:

Wait….. Luke Gadzik is on a broadcast team?  I thought all he could do is grunt and snort.

he makes some really good points on the broadcast though. I'm thinking this remark was made by Bieksa. Hey, they played the game, they know what goes down behind the scenes.

27 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

Sounds like I’m missing a fun game 🙄

Honestly punch, I’m sick and tired of that excuse. They may be young in age, but they are fairly experienced with being professional NHL hockey players. It seems like the front office enjoys the “youngest team” title.

as for Adams being responsible. That’s true but, sadly, they will never get veterans worth a damn who because good veterans don’t want to come play for them.  You can put only so much lipstick on a pig. 

Agree. It’s not an excuse if there is data behind it.  Young teams lose.  If Adams fields another roster that averages 24-25  next year then they will consistently lose to rosters that average 28 or more.  

I am more sick of the “good veterans won’t come here” narrative.   Great excuse for Adams.  The Bills overcame that.  Step one for Adams, which he still has not done, is to own it and get everyone that works for him to own it. 

They need to change the coach. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Detroit and Sabres latest rebuild are good ones to compare.  

Yzerman doing draft and develop plus bringing in veterans (Husso, Compher, Copp, Perron, Fabbri, Sprong, Kane, DeBrincat, Czarnik, Ghostisbehere, Petry  …) 

Adam’s brought in Greenway, Clifton, a bunch of $780k JAGS, and a few really old guys.  

It still may not work for the Red Wings this season, but at least Yzerman has legitimately tried. 

And I must note, Yzerman had the courage to trade away an excellent Hronek. It was a fantastic deal for the Canucks to get a top-pair partner for Quinn. The Wings needed ice time for Edvinsson and they needed money to go address the holes up front (Compher).

TNT discussing Power's contract and game. Power will never justify the contract points-wise because of Dahlin. Power could become great, but other comparable paid D will be on their team's PP1.

• Like (+1) 1