Sabres four points out on Easter morn?

PASabreFan

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

With two wins at home in 24 hours and the expected results of Detroit losing to Florida and Boston beating the Caps... Whoot there it is.

These things could happen, though unlikely. The bigger ever-more-looming issue is that there’s an end line: the shrinking runway is our biggest enemy.

We can’t just do what you outlined, we have to consider the result we need in the next set of games, as well. Because that 4-for-4 immediately loses its lustre once it becomes 4-for-5. Such is the nature of being 8 points back.

So, we can get that 4-for-4, but if it’s exactly that, and not a 6-for-6, we’ll be 6 (the Power of Owen compels you) points back, with a mere 6 games to play.

The walls are closing too fast and Artu isn’t here anymore to bail us out. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, ... said:

I haven't watched Edmonton this year. Could this be McDavid's year?

Depth and goaltending are their biggest question marks imo.

Their top guys could carry them through.

I thought I read Evander Kane was scratched or benched last game. He must be up to his old tricks or the coach is trying to fire him up for the playoffs.

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Who logged in as @PASabreFan?   What is this?  Sarcasm veiled as optimism is my guess.  

Maybe a little. What I'm really trying to do is save my hockey fan soul. I want to believe there's a chance, feel disappointment when it's over. I don't want to be so invested in thinking there's no chance that I feel conflicted when they keep their chances alive.

• Like (+1) 2

Any team that can lose twice to Anaheim and give up 5 first period goals to Ottawa is not going to get me interested in watching.  And they gave up the first two to New Jersey and scored none in the first period tonight.  Just too slow out of the gate, both in games and in the season.  

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

These things could happen, though unlikely. The bigger ever-more-looming issue is that there’s an end line: the shrinking runway is our biggest enemy.

We can’t just do what you outlined, we have to consider the result we need in the next set of games, as well. Because that 4-for-4 immediately loses its lustre once it becomes 4-for-5. Such is the nature of being 8 points back.

So, we can get that 4-for-4, but if it’s exactly that, and not a 6-for-6, we’ll be 6 (the Power of Owen compels you) points back, with a mere 6 games to play.

The walls are closing too fast and Artu isn’t here anymore to bail us out. 

The Wings just have to lose one game in Florida. Boston has to help out with the Caps. Then if the Sabres win two more games at home they're two back of both Detroit and Washington.

What are the fancy stat odds of that happening? Probably not great but probably not extremely unlikely either.

But if it happens what are the playoff chances then?

It's like rolling two Yahtzees in a row. Not common but I've done it.

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Bruins doing their part.

Never mind that: the Flyers are losing 2-0 to the Blackhawks

it’s astounding the competition is so poor that we actually do still have an out of left field shot at this. That’s not a shot at the sabres, the cutoff might fall into the 80s

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I had advocated a ban on any further playoff discussion involving the Sabres. 😂😂😂

It’s not gonna happen but it just can’t die because literally no one seems to want a spot. That we are still in it with 75 points with 7 games left is crazy but like..

philly is the WC2 right now. If they play the next 7 at the pace they’ve played the previous 10, they’ll MAYBE get 6 points.

6-0-1 for Buffalo would probably get us in. So no it probably won’t happen but the funny thing is this “stretch” we’ve needed has gotten smaller and smaller over the final games, here. 

In spite of barely playing well at all. All these other teams have been putrid 

Edited by Thorny

On 3/29/2024 at 6:56 AM, PASabreFan said:

With two wins at home in 24 hours and the expected results of Detroit losing to Florida and Boston beating the Caps... Whoot there it is.

You believe in the Easter Bunny too, don't you?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1