Why should Granato and the assistants be brought back?

LGR4GM

25 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Buffalo/WNY has a fairly good rep amongst older players with families. It’s a majority of the younger players who have a choice that don’t want to come here. Again, as stated before, no demographic is one hundred percent either way. The Bills have no problem recruiting players they want

The Bills have a very important thing that the Sabres do not. Josh Allen, the 2nd best QB in the NFL. 

38 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I have been ambivalent towards the coach and his staff but it really appears he has no answers. I think it’s time to move on.

He's had no answers for months. Listening to him is sickening as he blathers on while saying nothing and taking 0 responsibility. He couldn't tell you how to fix this team if the hockey gods came down and wrote him a book on it. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The Bills have a very important thing that the Sabres do not. Josh Allen, the 2nd best QB in the NFL. 

He's had no answers for months. Listening to him is sickening as he blathers on while saying nothing and taking 0 responsibility. He couldn't tell you how to fix this team if the hockey gods came down and wrote him a book on it. 

I really put little stock into any interviews or radio/tv appearances any of these guys do but it’s hard to argue with your conclusions.

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I really put little stock into any interviews or radio/tv appearances any of these guys do but it’s hard to argue with your conclusions.

When you start hearing the players say the exact same thing in the exact same way as the coach and GM, it is clear IMPO that the org is feeding everyone the same diet and the kool-aid tastes good to them . 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

When you start hearing the players say the exact same thing in the exact same way as the coach and GM, it is clear IMPO that the org is feeding everyone the same diet and the kool-aid tastes good to them . 

Example, the outside noise thing has been dropped by several players for a few weeks now and its clear the lack of self reflection and accountability is being pushed by the coaches and management onto the players. This is a clownshow.

• Like (+1) 2

I have to believe TPegs will make changes, how can he not? I think he is trying to find similarities to what he found with the Bills and just hasn't found it yet. He is willing to make changes, they just haven't been the right changes. Hopefully he can find the right guys because this franchise is an embarrassment right now and has been for quite a while. Absolutely can not run out the same cast of characters behind the bench next year.

16 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Example, the outside noise thing has been dropped by several players for a few weeks now and its clear the lack of self reflection and accountability is being pushed by the coaches and management onto the players. This is a clownshow.

When I started hearing the players parrot the "youngest team" mantra, that what was I knew the call was coming from inside the house. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If I were the owner, and I was shown this chart, I would have 2 questions for the coaches. When did they know about it? Why didn't they change it? Then I'd fire wilfraud and everyone else. I've literally never seen a Def 5v5 chart at +98%... I am not sure I've seen many over +50%

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The goal is to have this percentage as a negative number or very close to zero

98% is ***** atrocious 

IMG_0104.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/5/2024 at 5:21 AM, sabrefanday1 said:

Heck make Meatballs a assistant to Gallant...whatever just get a new coaching staff

That will not happen.

When you replace the leader you don't leave him around to be 2nd fiddle.  Not in any business.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Called a timeout at 0.2 seconds left in Dallas tonight. I’d like to hear his explanation for that one. 

To tell Tage to win the draw with a clean "laser shot" on the net that goes over the goalie's shoulder and into the net with 0.1 seconds left - and provable on replay.  

Dr Evil Laser GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

I think it was a combination ROR and others.  Why did ROR want out of here?  

The Pegula’s.  He knew they had no clue how to build a team.  He accepted a trade here thinking this was a new up and coming team - I’m not sure why we had one prospect - Jack.  Maybe Sam at the time.  

Saw how bad it was and wanted out.  

It’s all accurate.  Like I said - both Pegula running the show, and the city - two biggest problems we have.  The owner a much bigger problem.  I’ll excuse that I’m sure these guys don’t have how badly they’ll get taxed as maybe even a top 2 or 3 reason they’ll avoid a team.  I’m sure it doesn’t help tho. 

Every year for Buffalo teams should be URGENCY to win.  We spent 3 years losing on purpose and Terry hasn’t found a way to fully recover from that. 

But I think we are close.  KA has to convince guys with NMC or NTC to come here.  

That to me has got to be near impossible right now given all the toxicity of the Pegula era over multiple GMs and Coaches - I’ll refer right back to ROR.  And then Jack and Sam leaving and instantly finding greater success.  2 Cups.  One a Cup appearance.  The players in this league know.    

The reputation of the Pegula Sabres is ATROCIOUS.  

Why do you blame the city?   Buffalo has been a great hockey town in the past (long past) and players have enjoyed playing in Buffalo and living in Buffalo.  That was when they had good ownership.  

The Sabres organization started to get a very bad reputation around the league when they dismantled a President's Trophy team because then owner Golisano did not want to pay the players.  The bad feeling about Buffalo around the league started then, because ownership showed no commitment to winning, even when they had the pieces to do so.   

Pegula was supposed to be the savior and he came in loaded with false bravado, bragging about his money, and making stupid claims that he could not back up.   He has proven to be a fool with money, and ironically today he runs the team on a tight budget.  

Pegula's big problem was not hiring the right people right from the beginning while  listening to his Pittsburgh and Penn State buddies.  LaFontaine was a terrible choice as POHO who made more terrible choices with Murray and Nolan.  Since then Terry has just made mistakes upon mistakes.  Putting his wife in charge being a massive one.  He is now gun shy and surrounds himself with much younger yes men.  

The Sabres have had great ownership just once - that was under the Knox's.  That is the era were the greatest moments, the best memories, and the majority of the best players come from.  Back then Buffalo had no trouble attracting and keeping good players.  

Buffalo is not the problem, but being a small city and having very bad winter weather is going to work against attracting  modern players, I get that.  But there are plenty of players that prefer small cities and that come from winter climates.  Winning is all it takes. Commitment to win and run a classy organization.  

It starts at the top and the Sabres ownership has been below par since the Knox Family sold the team.  Even when the Rigas and Golisano teams found success on the ice, they also had issues with they way things we managed.  

It is not the city that is the problem.  It is 100% Terry.  

• Agree 2
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

To tell Tage to win the draw with a clean "laser shot" on the net that goes over the goalie's shoulder and into the net with 0.1 seconds left - and provable on replay.  

Dr Evil Laser GIF

Well to be fair, they did hit the post on the shot they were able to get off on that final faceoff. 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:
On 4/5/2024 at 5:21 AM, sabrefanday1 said:

Heck make Meatballs a assistant to Gallant...whatever just get a new coaching staff

That will not happen.

When you replace the leader you don't leave him around to be 2nd fiddle.  Not in any business.  

No but you could kick him upstairs if you wanted to keep him around.  Special assistant to Kevyn for Player Development or some such.  I think the only way that makes sense though is if TPegs agrees to move to a new HC but won't sign off if it means paying Donny for doing nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

*Taps the sign*

20240409_224833.thumb.jpg.12bb1b210b6eea636348b2d85dbf5630.jpg

I think the top young vets still need the support of top older vets (i.e., guys more talented than KO or Girgs) to lead them through the downs of the ups-and-downs of the game.  If they stay down too long, they lose whatever growth they'd previously shown.  The two poster boys on the team are Dylan and Tage.  I worry that JJ, Quinner and Benson will be sucked into the vortex if they don't bring in some real high-talent leadership.

I think that ship has sailed, but I wish they'd never traded Marcus Foligno.  I think it's likely the Mitts trade was a mistake too.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Team is a bunch of losers. The head coach sets the tone and the tone is no accountability. 

Granato gets it from Adams 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

When I started hearing the players parrot the "youngest team" mantra, that what was I knew the call was coming from inside the house. 

Playoffs died for me when we were a few points back and Tuch gave an interview touting that exact fact. Knew it was dead then 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

*Taps the sign*

20240409_224833.thumb.jpg.12bb1b210b6eea636348b2d85dbf5630.jpg

So read the quote from Trotz and think about how they handled Mitts, Thompson, Nylander, Dahlin, Cozens, Power, Krebs, and Benson. 

Thriving or surviving?  

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Well to be fair, they did hit the post on the shot they were able to get off on that final faceoff. 

Not that I saw.  I thought the puck was pushed wide, way after the 0.2 expired.  

Either way, it was not going to count. 

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Why do you blame the city?   Buffalo has been a great hockey town in the past (long past) and players have enjoyed playing in Buffalo and living in Buffalo.  That was when they had good ownership.  

Buffalo is not the problem, but being a small city and having very bad winter weather is going to work against attracting  modern players, I get that.  But there are plenty of players that prefer small cities and that come from winter climates.  Winning is all it takes. Commitment to win and run a classy organization.  

It starts at the top and the Sabres ownership has been below par since the Knox Family sold the team.  Even when the Rigas and Golisano teams found success on the ice, they also had issues with they way things we managed.  

It is not the city that is the problem.  It is 100% Terry.  

Yes it’s mostly Terry.  

Been thinking about this a lot the last few days.  Why is Terry running this team so badly how can we keep getting it so wrong?  I wonder if Inside the NHL executives and teams looked at and treated us in ways Terry wasn’t expecting post tank bc it was so blatant what we did.  Massively frowned upon more than we know.  We didn’t win the lotto and they have changed the lotto odds and the rules mostly bc of what we did.  

It’s not so much to me that we can’t win.  Players choosing Florida over Buffalo - shocker.  No excuse for the things we can control tho.  It’s how we are run.  Like the owner does not care.  At all.  He seems bitter and resentful based on how this franchise does its business and I don’t get it.  Something isn’t right.    

16 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So read the quote from Trotz and think about how they handled Mitts, Thompson, Nylander, Dahlin, Cozens, Power, Krebs, and Benson. 

Thriving or surviving?  

Dahlin is thriving. Benson is. 

The rest... meh

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin is thriving. Benson is. 

The rest... meh

Yes, some will make it no matter what.  Others are inconsistent.   

Despite all the complaints about Power not hitting, he has had a solid 2 years.