GDT / Buffalo Sabres @ Calgary Flames Sunday 3/24 9pm ESPN + MSG & WGR Radio

• SDS unpinned this topic
9 hours ago, TheAud said:

Buffalo's population also doesn't include any of Southern Ontario or Rochester, so a little deceiving relative to hockey fans. 

Calgary MSA is about 1.4M. And it's 75 miles from the nearest notable city...Red Deer. 

That is something that a lot of people forget/don't know.  Yes, the border is the border.  People who live in Fort Erie, Niagara Falls (Ontario), St. Catherines...etc...yes, they are in Canada. They shop in Canadian supermarkets/stores.  But, to a certain extent, many act like part of the Buffalo Metropolitan area (They often fly out of the Buffalo/Niagara Airport, they are Bills and Sabres fans (many of them), they go to shows at Sheas in dowtown Buffalo, etc.)

The fact is once you cross that border, there are probably 500,000 people shop, live, act at least partially like they are a suburb of Buffalo, but because of the border, they aren't counted/don't exist when it comes to TV ratings or metro area populations.

Also, Rochester/Batavia.  When it comes to the Bills and Sabres, many/most people in Rochester are Bills fans and Sabres fans.  Yet, they don't get counted in most measures of the Buffalo metro population.  Batavia doesn't even get counted (it gets added to Rochester, not Buffalo).  Olean (75 miles from Buffalo) gets counted in Buffalo's area.  Another example...yes, Miami/south Florida IS a major metro area...but West Palm beach is 70-80 miles from downtown Miami..and that gets counted in the Miami metro population.  Rochester is about the exact same distance from Buffalo (with Traffic its a lot closer of a drive) yet is population is classified as a different area.

If you add a city like West palm beach to Miami's total....you could combine Buffalo and Rochester....and how about adding just a SMALL portion of Canada (not even Hamilton, but just half way to Hamilton) and instead of Buffalo being the 50th largest metro in the country, it would be approaching the top 20.   Again, numbers, statistics...its all how someone chooses to measure things.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Ugly game but a win is a win. 

If they don’t lose again they have a chance 😉

What was ugly about it? Overall a good defensive performance by the Sabres. You have to win low scoring games too.

7 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

You know what's sad, Ray doesn't drink. He quit a long time ago. Still sounds loaded every night.

It's all the blows to the head he took. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I only watched the first period so I'm not going to comment on the full game. What I saw was that the Sabres played a hard and simple game. For the most part, the players shot the puck when the opportunity presented itself instead of making the extra pass for the cute play. What was also noticeably was that our defense was positionally sound and allowed UPL to mostly to obstructively see the oncoming shot. (Was noted on the broadcast.)

There is no question that this has been a disappointing season, especially with the reasonable expectations entering into it. But if you put things in perspective, the difference between having a playoff qualifying season and not having it is small. If only we would have won a few more games against the lesser teams and have a little better record at home or salvaged a few more loser points in this season. I'm not making excuses because your record is your record. 

There are many who out of frustration from how this season has transpired and the accumulated failed seasons strenuously argue to blow things up or to a large extent significantly change the rosters. That would be a mistake made out of frustration instead of a fair-minded assessment. It wasn't that long ago that some frustrated members were zealously arguing to trade UPL for a retread veteran goalie. That would have been a stupendous mistake. And there were many members who argued that Mitts was another failed draft. That was glaringly wrong. He improved with more experience and became one of our better players. Ultimately, because his value increased, he was traded in a good hockey for a young top pair blueliner. There has also been calls to move on from Power. That makes no sense to me. He's solid now and going to be a stud defenseman for a long time.

Even when acknowledging the failed results there are still some major takeaways from this season. The obvious one is that UPL appears to be a good #1 goalie. And Levi is ready or close to being ready to make a quality tandem at that position. That's a dramatic change considering the caliber of netminding that we have been subjected to. In addition, our blueline has not only been upgraded but it has talent in reserve. Maybe next year, Ryan Johnson will be moved up. Our blueline used to be an area of weakness, now it has the potential to be one of the best units in the league. 

Next year, Samuelsson and Quinn will hopefully be restored to full health and make this team better. Young players such as Power, Benson, JJ etc. should be better. Make no mistake, I'm not arguing to keep the status quo. I'm not advocating or desiring a blockbuster deal that will strip our team of some of our promising young players. This team will have cap space, an abundance of prospects in the system and players on the roster that can be parlayed for good players who better balance out this roster. What I'm saying is that for the most part I'm advocating that we should stay the course. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What was ugly about it? Overall a good defensive performance by the Sabres. You have to win low scoring games too.

It's all the blows to the head he took. 

The Sabres weren't ugly in particular; more so the game itself. Especially in the 2nd period where everyone kept falling or slipping as well as the puck getting stuck in puddles it seemed. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I only watched the first period so I'm not going to comment on the full game. What I saw was that the Sabres played a hard and simple game. For the most part, the players shot the puck when the opportunity presented itself instead of making the extra pass for the cute play. What was also noticeably was that our defense was positionally sound and allowed UPL to mostly to obstructively see the oncoming shot. (Was noted on the broadcast.)

There is no question that this has been a disappointing season, especially with the reasonable expectations entering into it. But if you put things in perspective, the difference between having a playoff qualifying season and not having it is small. If only we would have won a few more games against the lesser teams and have a little better record at home or salvaged a few more loser points in this season. I'm not making excuses because your record is your record. 

There are many who out of frustration from how this season has transpired and the accumulated failed seasons strenuously argue to blow things up or to a large extent significantly change the rosters. That would be a mistake made out of frustration instead of a fair-minded assessment. It wasn't that long ago that some frustrated members were zealously arguing to trade UPL for a retread veteran goalie. That would have been a stupendous mistake. And there were many members who argued that Mitts was another failed draft. That was glaringly wrong. He improved with more experience and became one of our better players. Ultimately, because his value increased, he was traded in a good hockey for a young top pair blueliner. There has also been calls to move on from Power. That makes no sense to me. He's solid now and going to be a stud defenseman for a long time.

Even when acknowledging the failed results there are still some major takeaways from this season. The obvious one is that UPL appears to be a good #1 goalie. And Levi is ready or close to being ready to make a quality tandem at that position. That's a dramatic change considering the caliber of netminding that we have been subjected to. In addition, our blueline has not only been upgraded but it has talent in reserve. Maybe next year, Ryan Johnson will be moved up. Our blueline used to be an area of weakness, now it has the potential to be one of the best units in the league. 

Next year, Samuelsson and Quinn will hopefully be restored to full health and make this team better. Young players such as Power, Benson, JJ etc. should be better. Make no mistake, I'm not arguing to keep the status quo. I'm not advocating or desiring a blockbuster deal that will strip our team of some of our promising young players. This team will have cap space, an abundance of prospects in the system and players on the roster that can be parlayed for good players who better balance out this roster. What I'm saying is that for the most part I'm advocating that we should stay the course. 

Not for nothing - but also not really for anything 'cuz we will likely miss ye olde playoffs again, but at least there was not an 8-game (or more) losing streak this year? ...yet.

7 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

I remember the first time the Blue Jackets made the playoffs after 12 years they were swept by someone 4-0. I wonder how happy we’d be with that result as a wild card team. 

I would poop with excitement over the initial qualification. The rest would feel like that year the Bills finally got in, then played one of the worst playoff games in history.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Some very good points and positive. Thanks. 

That said, I have some doubts about the improvement of the young players, given how other young players have not improved. We need a better off-season program and higher expectations from the GM and staff of young players going into their off-season. Power virtually regressed. He needs to be stronger, bigger, and faster. At 6'5-6'6, he should easily carry 225-230 and be a beast to play against. But he runs 215-218 and is not an exceptional skater with very much speed. 

The front office should lay out their expectations for these guys going into the off-season. I want a new coach but it doesn't appear that will happen. So, Granato should let them know that if they don't come into camp in a certain expected physical condition (weight, speed, strength, etc.) they are going to be in for hell. Something has to light a fire under these guys. Power, for example, could be SO much better a player. And Benson should not be 170 next year but about 180, and a lot faster due to expanded leg work. 

(Someone - I can't recall who - criticized my criticism of Power's numbers being so low on top-tier skating speed - arguing you don't want a defender floundering around trying to skate fast. However, Cale Makar, in the same category, is perennially at the top of the NHL in defensive speed metrics - I think it's around 24 MPH, as I recall. So either Maker is one of those floundering defensemen, or it does make a difference 😉 ). 

But these guys all need to hit the weight room hard. Legs and upper body. Maybe they should all train with UPL, whose extra focus on leg work in the off-season made a massive difference in his game. Get a good skating trainer as well. 

The one player I want to add is a quality two-way forward who is tough, physical, and an agitator. One who is not afraid to step up and get physical with the opponents. This team needs a physical, tough leader in the worst way. 

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Some very good points and positive. Thanks. 

That said, I have some doubts about the improvement of the young players, given how other young players have not improved. We need a better off-season program and higher expectations from the GM and staff of young players going into their off-season. Power virtually regressed. He needs to be stronger, bigger, and faster. At 6'5-6'6, he should easily carry 225-230 and be a beast to play against. But he runs 215-218 and is not an exceptional skater with very much speed. 

The front office should lay out their expectations for these guys going into the off-season. I want a new coach but it doesn't appear that will happen. So, Granato should let them know that if they don't come into camp in a certain expected physical condition (weight, speed, strength, etc.) they are going to be in for hell. Something has to light a fire under these guys. Power, for example, could be SO much better a player. And Benson should not be 170 next year but about 180, and a lot faster due to expanded leg work. 

(Someone - I can't recall who - criticized my criticism of Power's numbers being so low on top-tier skating speed - arguing you don't want a defender floundering around trying to skate fast. However, Cale Makar, in the same category, is perennially at the top of the NHL in defensive speed metrics - I think it's around 24 MPH, as I recall. So either Maker is one of those floundering defensemen, or it does make a difference 😉 ). 

But these guys all need to hit the weight room hard. Legs and upper body. Maybe they should all train with UPL, whose extra focus on leg work in the off-season made a massive difference in his game. Get a good skating trainer as well. 

The one player I want to add is a quality two-way forward Twho is tough, physical, and an agitator. One who is not afraid to step up and get physical with the opponents. This team needs a physical, tough leader in the worst way. 

I appreciate your response. One aspect of your response where I don't agree with your view is that our young players have not improved. That's a perplexing comment. Are you suggesting that Tage hasn't improved since he first came to the Sabres in the ROR trade? How about Mitts? Maybe it wasn't on the accelerated timetable that many people wanted, but clearly over time he did improve. How about JJ? Compare last year to this year? Even Joki, a target of criticism, has steadily improved. UPL has made a quantum leap this year. A gigantic leap beyond what I expected. And let's not forget how many people wanted to deal him off for a retread veteran goalie. It's a shame that Quinn got hurt before the season began and then during it. But it was evident in his rookie year that he was going to be a good player for us i.e. a top two line forward. Do you doubt that the 18 yr. old Benson with an offseason will be better equipped to play against men? I'm aware that because of the recent history of this bedraggled franchise that there is a degree of frustration and impatience with this franchise and its players. But young players usually aren't instantly good. There's a developmental process that is an uneven process. 

A case can certainly be made that too many of our young players get rushed to their detriment. Tage and Mitts fall in that category. But they are also both good examples that when given time they will get better with the right support system around them. 

I am an unabashed Power supporter. It's not unusual that extremely tall and lanky prospects take more time to physically mature and get adjusted to the NHL. There was a reason why he was the first pick in the draft. Go back and review the draft analysts' opinion of him as a prospect. He wasn't a unanimous first pick by analysts but he certainly was a consensus first pick by the scouts who were involved in that draft year. I'm simply more impressed by his play at this early stage in his career than many are here. In this case I recommend more patience. 

With respect to your last paragraph, I wholeheartedly agree and have repeatedly said so. This team has open roster spots to fill. And it has assets to deal to bring in at least a few more good players to improve and better balance the roster. When I argue for generally staying the course I'm not arguing to foolhardily not take actions to improve the roster from outside the system.  

Oh yeah, the glass is still 1/2 full + hence, stay the course...

Tied with NY Jets for missing playoffs for 13 years in all professional sports...all is pretty well, eh?

Edited by Cityo'Rasmii