Will Buffalo be a good place to see the total eclipse of the sun?

PASabreFan

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

FWIW Accuweather's forecast for 4/8 is not good but perhaps contains a glimmer of hope over two weeks out.

That isn’t even a forecast at this point. Truly. It’s a predictive placeholder based on historical data and some very generalized modeling (see below).

Speaking of which: April in Buffalo? Clouds are a good bet.

Currently, NWS has us predicted for slightly increased chances of above average temps and slightly increased chances of above average precipitation for the period of 4/1 - 4/7. 

YMMV.

Edited by That Aud Smell

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

From what I’m reading, Buffalo will be right in the middle of the eclipse which is probably why every hotel in the area is booked up that day, again from what I read/ heard.

The flight prices are also insane 

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

From what I’m reading, Buffalo will be right in the middle of the eclipse which is probably why every hotel in the area is booked up that day, again from what I read/ heard.

Dead nut center:

D89E8D56-2A47-4B8E-918C-24AF7F9033FE.jpeg

On 3/23/2024 at 11:07 PM, Scottysabres said:

I don't know it's the right place to see a total eclipse of the sun......but it's definitely the right place to see the total eclipse of playoff hockey. 

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Probably a better place to see a total eclipse of a hockey franchise. 

I'm here all night. 😉 

Noone is gonna pay to hear the second time a bad joke is told.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Yeah we will be...last time this happened I was in Saint Louis visiting some friends and on vacation with the fam. We were at the zoo on a bright, sunny, 96 degree day there...that 3-4 minutes of darkness was a welcome relief...was so weird when all the lights turned on at the same time due to the darkness 

• Agree 1

I am sorry I don’t get the big deal or the point as a 56 year old man? To me it sounds like an excuse to take off from work early and drink which Western New York loves that. I don’t think most people give a hoot about the eclipse they just want to get out of work to go drinking early if you ask me. Maybe it’s one of those young people things? The last thing I would do is stare at the sun you could damage your eyes. But what do I know carry on in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

8 hours ago, #freejame said:

The flight prices are also insane 

As if they weren't terrible before, now it's ludicris.

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

Dead nut center:

D89E8D56-2A47-4B8E-918C-24AF7F9033FE.jpeg

Ok good, the info i got was accurate, didn't want to mess up anyones plans lol

6 hours ago, Big Guava said:

Yeah we will be...last time this happened I was in Saint Louis visiting some friends and on vacation with the fam. We were at the zoo on a bright, sunny, 96 degree day there...that 3-4 minutes of darkness was a welcome relief...was so weird when all the lights turned on at the same time due to the darkness 

That's awesome, I hope you enjoy it. I never saw the previous eclipse but i remember in the 90's I was making out with my friends sister at like 2AM all of a sudden It got super bright to the point where we thought her parents caugth us and I was going to get a beat down from her old man lol but it was a bunch of shooting stars all shooting across the sky, it was really awesome and only lasted about a minute, the shooting stars not the making out LOL I hope you all enjoy the experience, I'll probably forget what day it's on and look up at it without my glasses on, tthat how i roll apparently.

I thought this was an allegorical reference about the Sabres' playoff chances. 🤷‍♂️

Actually I saw a full solar eclipse on the West Coast a few years ago and it was spiritual. 

If you live along the path, you should really make an effort to see it.

1 hour ago, Hawerchuk said:

Byrncliff golf resort in Varysburg, NY is a good place to view the eclipse and they are hosting a viewing party for anyone interested. You can even get in a round of golf too!

https://byrncliff.com/best-place-to-stay-and-see-the-2024-solar-eclipse-in-buffalo-ny/

I'm pissed. My mom's cabin is right down the street from there, off Centerline road, and I was supposed to be there for it.

• Sad 1

Based on all the highway signs in the WNY region indicating traffic chaos, I’m thinking NY expects society as we know it to break down in the Rochester to Buffalo corridor.

Time to horde bread, milk, and TP!

Traffic was insane for the last eclipse. They are right to be warning people. I’d expect standstill for periods of time. 

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

Based on all the highway signs in the WNY region indicating traffic chaos, I’m thinking NY expects society as we know it to break down in the Rochester to Buffalo corridor.

Time to horde bread, milk, and TP!

• Thanks (+1) 1