GDT Buffalo Sabres @ Detroit Red Wings Sat. 3-16, 12:30 pm NHLN, MSG & WGR Radio

12 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The single worst member of the Buffalo sports media is having a meltdown on X over fans having a go at Donny and the crap coaching staff.

At least Harrington mentions Adams’ poor offseason in defence of supporting the coaching, I’ll give him that 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

At least Harrington mentions Adams’ poor offseason in defence of supporting the coaching, I’ll give him that 

And then said you can't be like Torts these days and succeed. Which is odd given that he has a team everyone had pegged as bottom 5 with a dreadful roster and losing his starting goalie to the OPHL (Ontario Prison Hockey League) in a playoff place. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sabremike said:

And then said you can't be like Torts these days and succeed. Which is odd given that he has a team everyone had pegged as bottom 5 with a dreadful roster and losing his starting goalie to the OPHL (Ontario Prison Hockey League) in a playoff place. 

The organization, the fanbase needs a playoff berth. It just does. For the culture 

I increasingly think we need to do it just for the sake of doing it. Mike keeps saying everything is toxic and he both has a point but also, one can’t reasonably expect different given a historical run of ineptitude 

- - - 

It’s the appropriate expectation for year 4 just on basics but success in the now is just incredibly important to this team because of how long it’s been without 

we need to trade some prospects this offseason if we don’t make it this year. I’m sure this gets the usual “for who?” responses but, if you are willing to take a hit on upside for “now” ability, you are confident in your excess being dealt from, and you recognize the “who” question is harder to answer *because* we don’t often see big name prospects moved, it really opens a door

it’s my stance anyways 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

This is exactly right. I understand why some are frustrated, but we weren’t going 18-0 to end the season. 

I think most were frustrated as we have seen this movie before.  Same problems being there.  Nothing wrong to losing a game, but 12 shots in the last 2 periods is not acceptable.  Period. I am sure Donnie says that the compete just was not there...... duhhhhhh tired of hearing that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, will said:

you change your statement from 4 to 10 years?  cool.

and yes, they have made progress over the past 4 years.  from ACTUAL basement to meaningful march games.  something a lot of people are happy about, with an average age that is also in the "basement of the league." 😄

Sorry, being in the bottom portion in the overall standings is the basement. You can put lip stick on a pig but it’s still a pig. We have different standards. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

It's almost like you want it.  No wonder people are asking how to mute you 

Thanks Ottawa. I glimmer of hope. 

hopefully the rest of the weekend matchups go in our favour 

Tired of the other shoe always falling.  (Think I said that right) I have been a fan since day one.  One freaking cup please,  not 13 straight years of ineptness. Just one cup before I die (not that I am close) and we can't even make the playoffs where 1/2 the league makes it. So,  I get a bit bitter.... my apologies.  

• Like (+1) 2

That was disgusting. We knew the wings would come out hard after we beat them down and we did nothing to match It.

I haven't seen passing that sloppy since the timbit players in the intermission, a full step behind everywhere on the ice. 

We're riding UPL into the found because Adams is simply not a competent GM. 

As echoed before, it should never come down to needing to go 15-3 to make the playoffs, it's simply not possible. We're so hungry for a playoff birth that this team fooled a good majority into hope. 

Let's just run it back next year with a team that underachieved so much that they made droopy D seem excitable. Sounds like a great plan. 

Pegula ruined this franchise, I don't forgive him 

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 4

2 hours ago, will said:

you change your statement from 4 to 10 years?  cool.

and yes, they have made progress over the past 4 years.  from ACTUAL basement to meaningful march games.  something a lot of people are happy about, with an average age that is also in the "basement of the league." 😄

I am in Buffalo right now and I don’t see many happy fans.   Even on this board, there are only about 3 or 5 members that just won’t criticize Adams, DG, the rebuild pace, or Pegula … but that’s it.  

• Like (+1) 5

5 hours ago, Big Guava said:

This is where those 3 unacceptable losses to Columbus and Anaheim twice killed us...we have no margin for error anymore.

This is where Adams should fall on his saber. He told everyone that playoffs were the expectation this season. 

Too bad the Buffalo Sabres didn’t show up this afternoon to play. This lost head to head against the Detroit Red Wings was a must have game. Unfortunately the Sabres aren’t ready to step up there game in big games which is unfortunate. Maybe next year in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I’m glad I missed this one.  The tone on this board is so different than the last few games.   I guess when you get down to your last few losses that happens.  

West coast, here we come.  

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

The lesson they should take here is to not put yourself into a position where their runway is almost non-existent while attempting the landing to their season 

I think part of the issue is that the Sabres baseline just isn’t good enough. It just takes waaaay too much effort for them to really compete and that’s why they are so Jekyll and Hyde sometimes. 

The last two period were the Sabres of old. Sloppy passing. Beating their heads against the wall vs. a strong forecheck. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think part of the issue is that the Sabres baseline just isn’t good enough. It just takes waaaay too much effort for them to really compete and that’s why they are so Jekyll and Hyde sometimes. 

The last two period were the Sabres of old. Sloppy passing. Beating their heads against the wall vs. a strong forecheck. 

For a while they’ve been constructed in the vein of, “if everything goes right, they are good”

You are right, we need to be able to amount to more when things aren’t 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2