The next captain of the Sabres will be/should be

mjd1001

The Sabres will choose as the next captain:  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the TEAM choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else
  2. 2. Who would YOU choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I have read here many times that Thompson needs to hit the weight room.  He has been doing that for years.  He is strong but not versed in the skill of hockey fighting and he doesn't need to be.   

I agree with you.  Maybe this bout will wake him up to the fact that he can push around opponents if he has too.  He can create space using more than his reach.   

I was refreshing to see them handle themselves well against a tough veteran group like the Caps had on the ice.  

I still remember he took on Kevyn Miller who was a true heavyweight and held his own. His size and the size of his giant hands makes me not worry about him entering any fight. 

I just hope he develops the desire and compete that I envision and if he does he will dominate. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Oshie threw a late and overly aggressive hit on Thompson at the end of the period.  That started it.

Dahlin came in and blasted Oshie.  That escalated it.

Many Caps and officials pour in on Dahlin.  Dahlin was held by an official while Oshie threw punches at him.  #17 also threw punches at Dahlin while Dahlin was being held.  

Clifton was strong enough to pull Oshie out of there and hold him.   Cliffy and Oshie would be a good fight actually but it was obvious that Oshie did not want Clifton, he wanted Dahlin.   

Patch and OV both had Thompson, when OV saw that Thompson was in a battle with Patche pulled away and he stayed out of it.   The Caps had an extra guy out there with UPL in the net. 

Thompson pummeled Pacioretty with at least 6 good shots. 

Greenway grabbed Wilson.  Their fight was short.  Greenway lost his balance and fell before Wilson could really tee off.  Wilson was content to go just go home with a takedown on the scorecard. 

Dahlin did not start the fight but he came to Thompson's aid and escalated it.  

Now Thompson knows that he can throw'em, even though he probably shouldn't.   

For those who think that Thompson is not strong and in really good shape, they are wrong.  

Giraffe Running GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I can't speak for everyone but what you say isn't true for me. I base it on more than that. I watch how he's elevated his game at times (lead by example), I noticed how it was him with RJ not Dahlin (remember that?), the way he does his own version of the goalie hug. There's lots of little things that are on camera, in addition to his community connection and desire to be here. I don't see these things from Dahlin post game and I don't see him leading during the game either. He is a star player and he does compete, but I see nothing on camera that says leader.

the locker room could of course be different. 

As I said, I expect it to be Dahlin but I think it should be Tuch. 

Maybe I am biased and haunted by the fact that I thought it should have been ROR and not Eichel and I was right and I'd hate to make the same mistake again. 

I still just don’t know how much all that stuff actually means. I remember a big comeback win around the 2010-ish era.  During one of the postgame interviews, one of the younger guys mentioned how the leaders in the room really brought the team together and calmed them down and got them focused so they could,…blah blah blah,…”

One of the leaders he mentioned specifically was Tim Connelly. Never in a million years would I have thought that he was a leader in the room based on what we saw during games or on the bench. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I can't speak for everyone but what you say isn't true for me. I base it on more than that. I watch how he's elevated his game at times (lead by example), I noticed how it was him with RJ not Dahlin (remember that?), the way he does his own version of the goalie hug. There's lots of little things that are on camera, in addition to his community connection and desire to be here. I don't see these things from Dahlin post game and I don't see him leading during the game either. He is a star player and he does compete, but I see nothing on camera that says leader.

the locker room could of course be different. 

As I said, I expect it to be Dahlin but I think it should be Tuch. 

Maybe I am biased and haunted by the fact that I thought it should have been ROR and not Eichel and I was right and I'd hate to make the same mistake again. 

I've seen lots of things on camera where Dahlin is leading. And you want to talk elevating their game, Dahlin is far more consistent in that regard. Example of Dahlin leading, Benson lives with him because Dahlin invited him. 

Other than helping RJ, none of this is leading. It's just being different than others which isn't the same thing. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Well there’s this unforgivable comment

“I want the Buffalo Sabres in the playoffs, and I’m never going to give up, and I think we’re close,” Dahlin said prior to Thursday’s 4-2 win over the Washington Capitals in the home finale at KeyBank Center. “I think we are a really good team. I think we’re the youngest team in the league, so, well, it sucked that we didn’t get in, but we have learned so many things from this year that we have to bring into next year and get better.”

Do you think the Sabres are a really good team?

21 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

GPY it's not just that the braintrust (ahem) wants the youngest teams in hockey it's that so called leaders on the team are parroting the phrase when asked to explain failure. Dahlin just did it, which disqualifies him even more in my mind (in addition to the blond hair and blue eyes and funny way of talkin').

Someone else nailed it. We don't have a captain on the roster. Maybe it's not a problem or maybe it's exactly what KA needs to be getting this summer.

It goes to show you how the culture starts at the top.  Adams loves to talk about the team "being young" as does Granato. 

Now you hear it from the players.  

I do not see this as a reason to not give Dahlin, or Tuch, the C or an A.    Its just an other example of the wrong thinking at the top influencing the losing  culture that still surrounds the team.  

My eyes tell me that Dahlin is the most committed player on the team.  He is also the most talented, highest paid, and most willing to answer the bell.  

I think we are stuck with Adams, and he has a valuable role in keeping TP (the worst owner in NHL history)  happy enough to just stay away.   Lets hire a winning coach and let him help get them to the next level, a playoff team.  

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Well there’s this unforgivable comment

“I want the Buffalo Sabres in the playoffs, and I’m never going to give up, and I think we’re close,” Dahlin said prior to Thursday’s 4-2 win over the Washington Capitals in the home finale at KeyBank Center. “I think we are a really good team. I think we’re the youngest team in the league, so, well, it sucked that we didn’t get in, but we have learned so many things from this year that we have to bring into next year and get better.”

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I think he just misspoke, like players often do when they say this.

I think what they mean to say is that they think there are a lot of really good players on the team, [but they have to take what they learned to become a really good team next year].

Just my take.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Not yet.

They have work to do.  They have an immediate need to replace Mitts at 2C. (I dont want to debate about if Mitts was a 1, 2 or 3 )  the simple fact is we need a center at least as good as Mitts was because Cozens is just a 3C right now.  We also need a shut down 4C that is a solid NHL level contributor, not a space filler.  Kreb is not it.  They still need that big physical defenseman that can play top 4 mins - Byram is not big, or physical, and defense is not his first priority.  Sorry, I still don't get this trade.   It looks like Adams cleared room for one of his draft choice prospects.  

They need a few more wingers that bring a two way game - get rid of Skinner and VO.  They need at least one, preferably 2, tough forwards that can handle others team bad guys.  

The need a back up goalie if Levi is not ready. 

So 4 to 6 players depending on how our players develop over the summer.  

Mostly, they need a better coaching staff.  One that employs a true NHL system that is installed in one off season.  Fix the power play too.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

No. Do you think what any fan thinks about that matters much in the context of this conversation?

Do you think him saying “I believe in my teammates and I’m not going to rest until we reach the playoffs” is not representing the team well in the community or the media, or setting a good tone for his teammates?

I know some of you look at the “youth” thing as an excuse and I buy that in terms of Adams could have and still can get older players.

But in terms of the locker room, I see it as simple truth: many of these players are talented and  inexperienced and should get better.

And if I’m leading this group, that’s an integral part of the message I’m sending the Powers and the Peterkas and any other kids Adams sends my way: I believe in you guys; if you keep working and learning, you will have success. And then I hold them accountable for getting better.

There may be flaws in its execution, or the players receiving it, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the message.

Edited by dudacek

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I think he just misspoke, like players often do when they say this.

I think what they mean to say is that they think there are a lot of really good players on the team, [but they have to take what they learned to become a really good team next year].

Just my take.

Well you can do that obviously, but I don't think it's right. When we enter into the realm of "I think he misspoke" you're basically just making things into what you want them to be. Maybe he did misspeak, but maybe he didn't. Maybe he's completely arrogantly deluded? Maybe he's dumb. Maybe he's being sarcastic. Maybe he's lost in translation. Maybe..............  any number of things.

I think we have to take them at exactly what they say and try to read anything they have said as objectively as possible. If any player truly misspeaks, he has plenty of opportunities in the press or on social media or other interviews to clarify and correct it. If he doesn't say something different somewhere I have to take what he said as what he meant and not read into it or interpret it for him. 

My personal view is that this franchise pampers these guys so much and strokes their egos so much they do in fact believe this stuff. They buy in to what the team is trying to sell us rather than a work ethic work harder we weren't good enough ethic. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I've seen lots of things on camera where Dahlin is leading. And you want to talk elevating their game, Dahlin is far more consistent in that regard. Example of Dahlin leading, Benson lives with him because Dahlin invited him. 

Other than helping RJ, none of this is leading. It's just being different than others which isn't the same thing. 

So Matt Moulson should have been captain because he invited Jack Eichel to live with him? 

All this proves is Dahlin bought a big house and has a lot of empty rooms.

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well you can do that obviously, but I don't think it's right. When we enter into the realm of "I think he misspoke" you're basically just making things into what you want them to be. Maybe he did misspeak, but maybe he didn't. Maybe he's completely arrogantly deluded? Maybe he's dumb. Maybe he's being sarcastic. Maybe he's lost in translation. Maybe..............  any number of things.

I think we have to take them at exactly what they say and try to read anything they have said as objectively as possible. If any player truly misspeaks, he has plenty of opportunities in the press or on social media or other interviews to clarify and correct it. If he doesn't say something different somewhere I have to take what he said as what he meant and not read into it or interpret it for him. 

My personal view is that this franchise pampers these guys so much and strokes their egos so much they do in fact believe this stuff. They buy in to what the team is trying to sell us rather than a work ethic work harder we weren't good enough ethic. 

So really believe Dahlin thinks they are a really good team?!… K

We all believe what we want to in our own way.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

So really believe Dahlin thinks they are a really good team?!… K

We all believe what we want to in our own way.

I do believe that. I believe Adams believes that too. I believe Pegula believes that as well. I think they drink their own Kool-Aid and they all (many of the players as well including Dahlin) think that they are extremely talented and it's just that they are young and it's taking a little longer than they thought but they believe they are talented and on the right track and everything is fine. 

I do think they believe that, yes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I do believe that. I believe Adams believes that too. I believe Pegula believes that as well. I think they drink their own Kool-Aid and they all (many of the players as well including Dahlin) think that they are extremely talented and it's just that they are young and it's taking a little longer than they thought but they believe they are talented and on the right track and everything is fine. 

I do think they believe that, yes. 

That’s just stupid.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Thank you so much. I appreciate your kind words and well thought out reply. Good job. 

You are welcome.

What else am I supposed to say about something you believe. You are allowed to believe that. I am allowed to believe it is stupid.

Looking at the last month-to-month in a half of the season....from early March when the Sabres got back into the playoff race, until they were eliminated...5 players really stepped up and played their best hockey of the season when it mattered:  Thompson, Tuch, Peterka, Dahlin, and Power.  If you think part of leadership is who played the best when the pressure was on the most (not that it was ALL that much pressure, but for this team yeah), to me it was those 5 guys.

Who were no-shows?  Skinner, Cozens, Greenway and Krebs (not that you expect the last 2 to be a leader anyway). But those are the guys that really didn't add a thing to help this team get into the playoffs.

Again, not sure how much anyone takes those things into effect, but there was a HUGE gap in play between the 2 groups.  The first group exceeded their own performance earlier in the year by a lot....the 2nd group (at least their performance) was akin to them running into a corner and hiding.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

You are welcome.

What else am I supposed to say about something you believe. You are allowed to believe that. I am allowed to believe it is stupid.

Well I believe what you said originally was stupid, but I saw no reason to insult you or say that. I guess we are different. 

10 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Looking at the last month-to-month in a half of the season....from early March when the Sabres got back into the playoff race, until they were eliminated...5 players really stepped up and played their best hockey of the season when it mattered:  Thompson, Tuch, Peterka, Dahlin, and Power.  If you think part of leadership is who played the best when the pressure was on the most (not that it was ALL that much pressure, but for this team yeah), to me it was those 5 guys.

Who were no-shows?  Skinner, Cozens, Greenway and Krebs (not that you expect the last 2 to be a leader anyway). But those are the guys that really didn't add a thing to help this team get into the playoffs.

Again, not sure how much anyone takes those things into effect, but there was a HUGE gap in play between the 2 groups.  The first group exceeded their own performance earlier in the year by a lot....the 2nd group (at least their performance) was akin to them running into a corner and hiding.

Of your list of no shows, I thought Greenway was the same all season.  He gets a few scoring spurts here and there, but he is mostly a defensive checker so looking at goals and points is not the whole no story for him.   I also thought Clifton played well late in the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

How do you weight that period of time when you say it really mattered against how those same players played through the first x number of games?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

How do you weight that period of time when you say it really mattered against how those same players played through the first x number of games?

At the end of the season, whether you make the playoffs or not, a game you lose by 2 points in October counts the same in the standings as a game you lose by 2 points in March.  However, as the season goes on, due to decreasing number of games left, each 2 points 'from that point' matter more in terms of your percentage chance of making the playoffs later in the year as they do earlier...meaning if you look at analytical derived playoff percentage, or simply mathematical calculated chances of making the playoffs, each game matters more to those percentages as you get close to the end of the year.    The way I look at is similar to a playoff series...there is less pressure on you going into game 2 down by one game, as there would be into game 6 down by one game.

So to answer your question, the stretch later in the season there was/could be viewed as having more pressure to win NOW, each game was more critical to your chances (on a percentage basis) than it was earlier in the year.  Its basically my way of looking at it as...when there is much less margin for error, when you can't just 'float' and 'take a day off' because you 'aren't feeling it' how do players respond.

I'll admit that in judging a players ultimate worth to a team, you are much better judging the entire season, a larger sample size is almost always better than a smaller one to me.  But in theory, those group of games I referenced in my original post, where the ones you could say there was a bit more urgency to and it might tell some people something about who has that 'extra gear' to produce more in that situation.

10 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Pay what you must, make the trade, and get this guy. Older? Yes. A tad bit pricey? Yes. Byram +.
A guy can dream.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-mackenzie-weegar-sends-powerful-message-with-commitment-to-stay/

I watched him play here in Halifax and felt he would be a very good one.

Very nearly the last pick in 2013.  He will be Flames Captain, I think.  If the Sabres could somehow get him I would make him Captain.

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I watched him play here in Halifax and felt he would be a very good one.

Very nearly the last pick in 2013.  He will be Flames Captain, I think.  If the Sabres could somehow get him I would make him Captain.

I would too @Sabres Fan in NS. For a few reasons a trade to Buffalo wouldn't happen though. But we desperately need a guy like this.

I was watching the Flames/Yotes game last night. Never knew much about him other than he was a piece of that big trade. Then I saw him manhandle a guy out from the crease (and a pretty effective shove after the whistle). Later he was defending an oncoming rush high in his own zone. No retreat and stick swing defense like the Sabres play in that situation. Stepped up, took the body, and knocked the Yote on his ass. Can score too. Looked up his contract status and saw the linked article.