KA go get Zegras

We need a top 6 playmaker, he's young, talented, played for the USNTDP, played against the Canadian 5, he's locked up for two more years at 5.75 and he's an RFA after that.

Yes he's on IR, which makes him a perfect buy low candidate for a fresh start next season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

We need a top 6 playmaker, he's young, talented, played for the USNTDP, played against the Canadian 5, he's locked up for two more years at 5.75 and he's an RFA after that.

Yes he's on IR, which makes him a perfect buy low candidate for a fresh start next season.  

How young tho?

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If he were any other guy I'd be interested, but he's a headcase.

I loved Zegras and really wanted him to be a part of the Eichel trade.  
But then I saw this video where him and some other millennial kid were doing this dance in front of Getzlaf and he looks like he just wants to retire right there. 
Zegras is the problem with the current NHL.  Too soft and flashy.  Probably thinks checking should be eliminated from the game. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Allen said:

But then I saw this video where him and some other millennial kid were doing this dance in front of Getzlaf and he looks like he just wants to retire right there. 
Zegras is the problem with the current NHL.  Too soft and flashy.  Probably thinks checking should be eliminated from the game. 

And he only cares about his celebrations with His fancy michigan

Edited by Buffalonill

1 minute ago, Mr. Allen said:

Calling a kid born in 2001 a millennial is peak boomer energy. 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean it's close enough for govt work.

Generations are made up things to create marketing tribes and divide the people so rich pricks can sneak away with the money while we're arguing.

All people are *****.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He'll be 23 in may and has two 60 pt plus seasons already under his belt.  He would be an upgrade over Mitts at a locked in cheaper price.  

He's 23 in March. Not that it matters.

Why would the Ducks want to trade him? If you were the Anaheim GM, you are looking at yet another rebuild and he's not out of the age band for being a key piece in that. I haven't heard that he is asking for a trade either. That suggests to me that Anaheim is only hearing offers because they think they're selling high.

That leads me to the next point: the asking price. Have you seen the supposed ask? It's insane. There's no way he's worth 2 1st round picks, a 'top' prospect, and a 'young NHL player' in return.

I like the idea on paper, but I don't like the idea when everything is taken into consideration. I'd rather take a flyer on the far less expensive Kaapo Kakko than give up a bunch of assets on Zegras. I realize we're asset strong, but we shouldn't spend them all on one player unless he's a bona fide gamebreaker--and Zegras isn't.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

That leads me to the next point: the asking price. Have you seen the supposed ask? It's insane. There's no way he's worth 2 1st round picks, a 'top' prospect, and a 'young NHL player' in return.

You can ask for the world, that doesn't mean you'll get it.  I would give them 3 good assets for him, such as our 1 in 2024, Rosen or Savoie and Ryan Johnson.

• Angry 1

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Maybe I got my generation wrong.  Whatever he is, he is the new generation of players that play weak.  
And I’m no boomer.  Much younger than that. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Maybe I got my generation wrong.  Whatever he is, he is the new generation of players that play weak.  
And I’m no boomer.  Much younger than that. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Ah.  Gen Z.  But whatever.  He’s soft.  Just wants to score goals.  I’m currently hoping we get rid of a player like that in skinner. 

The only goals scored lately have been by a guy who was a healthy scratch most of the season and two defensemen (one of which was on his first shot in his first game with the Sabres) ... sure could use some more of that "scoring" thing around here.

Most everyone thought Casey was "soft and weak" when he started - yet he was probably one of the few Sabres this year that won more board battles than he lost ... all this "tough guy" talk is simultaneously hilarious, pathetic, and toxic. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You can ask for the world, that doesn't mean you'll get it.  I would give them 3 good assets for him, such as our 1 in 2024, Rosen or Savoie and Ryan Johnson.

I agree with the first part, but Montreal media got excited a few weeks back at the possibility after it was leaked they inquired about him. The supposed offer beats that by a bit. But, again, rumor mill is about as trustworthy as a politician.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Ah.  Gen Z.  But whatever.  He’s soft.  Just wants to score goals.  I’m currently hoping we get rid of a player like that in skinner. 

Gen Z is soft because Millennials won too many trophies as kids because Generation X grew up after WW2 and never understood what it means to actually struggle in life. Or is that too much generalizing?

For the record, the aforementioned Skinner is not Gen Z--he's a millennial. As is Olofsson and six others. As one would expect, notoriously soft player, Jordan Greenway, is Gen Z.

Also, the biggest issue for Buffalo right now is scoring goals. It's why I think @GASabresIUFAN is on the right track with his keyboard GM thinking, even if I disagree in this particular instance. Players like Zegras are important pieces. Reality is, Buffalo needs to add both more players who drive to the net (the Greenway type) with players who are capable finishers and top tier playmakers (the Zegras type). The Sabres have tons of talent, but it's too concentrated. They need players who can step up when some players slump or are injured. We can't fill Jack Quinn's spot with Jordan Greenway and we can't fill Jordan Greenway's sport with Victor Olofsson. It's about depth and balance (sorry, been watching too much Food Network).

Doesn’t this org have enough soft skill players?  I guess you could jump start the rebuild and ship out Savoie / Kulich.  I want to bring in guys like Goodrow, Hathaway, Jeannout, Bennet, etc.  ***** that drive other teams nuts. Not more soft players that are victims to those players ice. 

5 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

The only goals scored lately have been by a guy who was a healthy scratch most of the season and two defensemen (one of which was on his first shot in his first game with the Sabres) ... sure could use some more of that "scoring" thing around here.

Most everyone thought Casey was "soft and weak" when he started - yet he was probably one of the few Sabres this year that won more board battles than he lost ... all this "tough guy" talk is simultaneously hilarious, pathetic, and toxic. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence Carolina started winning after they shipped out $kinner.  

31 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

He's 23 in March. Not that it matters.

Why would the Ducks want to trade him? If you were the Anaheim GM, you are looking at yet another rebuild and he's not out of the age band for being a key piece in that. I haven't heard that he is asking for a trade either. That suggests to me that Anaheim is only hearing offers because they think they're selling high.

I like the idea on paper, but I don't like the idea when everything is taken into consideration. I'd rather take a flyer on the far less expensive Kaapo Kakko than give up a bunch of assets on Zegras. I realize we're asset strong, but we shouldn't spend them all on one player unless he's a bona fide gamebreaker--and Zegras isn't.

Verbeek is old school and Zegras doesn’t fit his type of player.

On one hand Zegras is the type of playmaker they need. But he is not the type of guy you win playoff series with. Watched the Leafs play the Bruins twice this last week and the fancy skill of the Leafs disappeared when the going got tough. That’s what I think Verbeek’s view of Zegras is.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence Carolina started winning after they shipped out $kinner.  

You are probably not wrong about that. From what I have seen - Skinner seems to be a pretty hard guy to play WITH. From observation, he does not seem to play any one style or system or anything with any consistency. I think the times he has been most successful (relative, I know) have been when others are doing well and he can focus more. I seem to recall him scoring many many "dirty area" goals in the past years off of rebounds and chaos. This year the only chaos he seems to create consistently is with his own team? 

want to like Skinner The Player, but I can't quite get there 😕 

29 minutes ago, inkman said:

Doesn’t this org have enough soft skill players?  I guess you could jump start the rebuild and ship out Savoie / Kulich.  I want to bring in guys like Goodrow, Hathaway, Jeannout, Bennet, etc.  ***** that drive other teams nuts. Not more soft players that are victims to those players ice. 

Frankly, we need to bring in both types of players. We proved we have a lack of depth in scoring this year between injuries and slumps. We have four roster spots open next year as of right now: Mitts, VO, Girgs, and KO. Two of those need to be players who are relentless after pucks. The third needs to be able to score (ideally that third guy can play the 3C role at a more appropriate cap hit so we can replace Mittelstadt and not have to slot Krebs in there). The fourth should be a capable finisher as well (in my opinion) because the loss of Quinn really impacted this roster.

Funny enough, from your post, Kulich is more of a dual threat (he actually goes to the boards) and he had his second ELC slide this year, so we get him for three years on his ELC starting next season. From a cap standpoint, he's worth keeping. It's the Rosen and Savoie players we should be moving. Even Östlund who I would give preference to keeping over both Rosen and Savoie should be on the block.

Edited by RochesterExpat
I can't English.
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I mean it's close enough for govt work.

Generations are made up things to create marketing tribes and divide the people so rich pricks can sneak away with the money while we're arguing.

All people are *****.

Misanthropes unite!!