KA go get Zegras

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

If he were any other guy I'd be interested, but he's a headcase.

I know his Dad, my brother in law is good friends with Dad... kid isnt a head case... young and enthusiastic... all the kids at my son's high school say he is a great guy... may need to learn to turn it down a bit for the curmudgeons on Sabrespace... helluv a talent

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, North Buffalo said:

I know his Dad, my brother in law is good friends with Dad... kid isnt a head case... young and enthusiastic... all the kids at my son's high school say he is a great guy... may need to learn to turn it down a bit for the curmudgeons on Sabrespace... helluv a talent

He seems very happy and enthusiastic but doesn't seem like a guy who hates to lose. He gives me a lot of Skinner vibes.

Headcase isn't the right term but his persona feels like a major problem for winning.

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

He seems very happy and enthusiastic but doesn't seem like a guy who hates to lose. He gives me a lot of Skinner vibes.

Headcase isn't the right term but his persona feels like a major problem for winning.

I think you misjudge his fire, Dad played college hockey and then coached... 

20 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We need a top 6 playmaker, he's young, talented, played for the USNTDP, played against the Canadian 5, he's locked up for two more years at 5.75 and he's an RFA after that.

Yes he's on IR, which makes him a perfect buy low candidate for a fresh start next season.  

It wont be a buy low with him imo, if I'm picking up a top 6 forward I'd go get Yegor Sharangovich from the Calgary Flames, put him on line 1 with Tage as a LW and Quinn at RW. You can then have a Peterka/Cozens/Tuch line 2 and bury or buy out Jeff Skinner somehwere else.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No. Just NO. 

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Don’t do it.

No guts no glory and you wonder why nothing changes here.  KA sent away our only playmaker and our forwards have scored 1 even strength goal in the last 3 games.  Everything negative about this kid in this thread is BS.  He goes to the net, creates, and has a high compete level.  

This is from the Draft analyst  https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-draft-profile-c-trevor-zegras/

He is both crafty and fancy with the puck, and his passes almost always are on the tape with authority. Zegras’s pass accuracy remains consistent anywhere on the ice and he’s just as dangerous threading the needle while manning the half wall as he is in open ice. His ability to stickhandle while keeping his head up allows him to be the first to identify trailers or back-door cutters, and Zegras will use no-look centering passes on the power play to exploit an open passing lane. He’s also capable of tricking goalies with a hard, accurate shot that he can tuck under the bar from bad angles.

Zegras plays engaged with or without the puck and stays in motion in all three zones. He locks in on the puck regardless of where it is or whether or not he’s in control. Once he’s corralled it, Zegras can use a variety of stutter steps, gear changes or pirouettes to motor past, around or through traffic. His agility is outstanding, and he always seems to make the right reads when anticipating puck travel. Zegras is a strong, agile skater with very good straight-line speed who can stay low to the ice and maintain his elite balance as he zips through the neutral zone into opposing territory. His zone entries are surgical and designed to create time and space while maintaining possession. He is very good on faceoffs and will play physical along the boards. Zegras also has a mean streak and will get involved in scrums after the whistle.

Tell me, what forward on the Sabres does anything listed in this scouting report?  Our forwards are bad at zone entry, lousy passers, aren't very physical and do a poor job of creating offense.  Since we are insistent on using Cozens and TNT in the middle, it's fortunate that Zegras plays LW.  

I'd make a deal right now.  I'd even include Power in the discussion.  

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No guts no glory and you wonder why nothing changes here.  KA sent away our only playmaker and our forwards have scored 1 even strength goal in the last 3 games.  Everything negative about this kid in this thread is BS.  He goes to the net, creates, and has a high compete level.  

This is from the Draft analyst  https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-draft-profile-c-trevor-zegras/

Tell me, what forward on the Sabres does anything listed in this scouting report?  Our forwards are bad at zone entry, lousy passers, aren't very physical and do a poor job of creating offense.  Since we are insistent on using Cozens and TNT in the middle, it's fortunate that Zegras plays LW.  

Have you watched Zegras? Who cares about the draft report it's All about evidence now and he's All about his cockiness and his fancy moves and celebrations he's no team player 

And hes not even part of  The leadership core I wonder why ..

Edited by Buffalonill

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Have you watched Zegras? Who cares about the draft report it's All about evidence now and he's a All about his cockiness and his fancy moves and celebrations he's no team player 

And hes not even part of  The leadership core I wonder why ..

So he's not a good hockey player because he's cocky?  He's not a team player because he celebrates?  Wow.  We could use some cocky here in Sabreland. We could use someone who gets under peoples skin and then produces.  He has been Ana's leading scorer the last 2 years.  His possession metrics are excellent in his 4 year career including this season in limited play this season do to injury.  

Cockiness aside, I can't find any article that says he is a bad teammate, a bad person or a locker room cancer.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.

https://dose.ca/2024/02/19/trevor-zegras-praised-as-an-incredible-teammate-by-his-coach/#google_vignette

And Ducks head coach Greg Cronin also came to his protégé’s defense in an interview with Arpon Basu (The Athletic) :

Outside of the media, he’s a player who’s very focused on the team’s success [ …] He’s an incredible teammate. – Greg Cronin 

https://theathletic.com/5240068/2024/01/31/trevor-zegras-overrated-nhl-player-poll-ducks/

This is a guy who Ana teammate Troy Terry described as "the most skilled player I've ever played with," and who Mason McTavish described "He's a confident guy. Guys in here obviously think he's unbelievable."

The articles also describe how he is working to round out his game, something more than a few Sabres forwards could benefit from.  

Remember this is a kid who carried the US with 18 points in 7 games to a gold medal in the 2021 WJC over the Canadian Squad that featured Cozens, Levi, Byram, Krebs and Quinn.  The next best US player had 8 points. 

I think you needs to stop reading the HFboards.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 3/8/2024 at 1:50 PM, North Buffalo said:

I think you misjudge his fire, Dad played college hockey and then coached... 

Does make him a team player however; you can be the most pass happy fiery player imaginable but still be too much of a loose cannon to make work within the lines. His persona is what is wrong in hockey these days, the "look at me" obsession and need to shine the spotlight on himself clashes violently with the general state of hockey which is team first, individual player second. I have no issue with Michigan goals or having fire; I have the issue with his way of displaying his fire by playing hockey in an almost overly "game-like manner" Yes, hockey is just a game but this is also their jobs and it makes it hard to trust his fire to win every game versus personal stats.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We already have enough divas, we need guys with character not more soft guys like this.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Does make him a team player however; you can be the most pass happy fiery player imaginable but still be too much of a loose cannon to make work within the lines. His persona is what is wrong in hockey these days, the "look at me" obsession and need to shine the spotlight on himself clashes violently with the general state of hockey which is team first, individual player second. I have no issue with Michigan goals or having fire; I have the issue with his way of displaying his fire by playing hockey in an almost overly "game-like manner" Yes, hockey is just a game but this is also their jobs and it makes it hard to trust his fire to win every game versus personal stats.

I cant answer that question directly but from the locals they say yes he is a team player...  as far as look at me they all do that in this media snap chat world and as much as you and i think it is annoying i am not sure they think that much about it and kinda just do those Barnum & Bailey expressions and move on meh...