Sabres’ Refusal to “Salute” Fans Confirmed

That Aud Smell

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Hmm. Interesting take.

How did this evolve? It used to be something done on special occasions, and then became more routine?

I think it was a "suggestion" from the league office after The Big Lockout.

• Thanks (+1) 2

@PASabreFan crystallized it and now I’m even more pissed off.

How’d that conversation go? JFC. A few hundred people are hollering to “fire Donny”, so it’s “f*ck all y’all”?

The worst.

Oh, and then go “unnamed” when you confirm it to a reporter.

THE WORST.

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Oh it's stupid. It's more about the mentality of this than the actual salute. Jesus, I get cursed at work daily,I don't stop practicing medicine because of it. 

Holy sh1t, if doctors and other health care professionals were this soft …

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

@PASabreFan crystallized it and now I’m even more pissed off.

How’d that conversation go? JFC. A few hundred people are hollering to “fire Donny”, so it’s “f*ck all y’all”?

The worst.

Oh, and then go “unnamed” when you confirm it to a reporter.

THE WORST.

Holy sh1t, if doctors and other health care professionals were this soft …

We combat it with cynicism and Misanthropy 😂

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This gets at the root of what I’m saying. Not just soft. They’re fu*king idiots.

Hmm. Interesting take.

How did this evolve? It used to be something done on special occasions, and then became more routine?

It was never the Sabres tradition. I believe it was the Rangers’es’.

Then all of a sudden they started doing it. Always seemed forced to me.

Edited by SwampD

When it gets to the point that we're discussing "stick salutes", we have entered the realm of absurdity. Who gives a freaking dam! Salute the fans for what? For attending a game? I can see the players doing the post-game "stick salute" at the last home game but doing it on a regular basis after a home game renders it a hollow and meaningless gesture. Please stop with this foolishness. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, JohnC said:

When it gets to the point that we're discussing "stick salutes", we have entered the realm of absurdity. Who gives a freaking dam! Salute the fans for what? For attending a game? I can see the players doing the post-game "stick salute" at the last home game but doing it on a regular basis after a home game renders it a hollow and meaningless gesture. Please stop with this foolishness. 

My impression of the discussion isn't so much that those that are complaining are doing so because they so desperately need to see the stick salute; but rather the Sabres' reason for stopping it is childish. I forget who mentioned it up-thread, but I also recall that it was a PR move by the league after the lockout.

As for the players. who do they expect the fans to yell to get fired? The chant would be incredibly long and hard to coordinate if the fans listed out all the underperforming players on any given night, lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

The entire stick salute is some weird "everyone gets a prize" after every home game contrivance anyway. If it is fun or silly or gets embellished naturally (like the Hurricanes? that one season) then, fine. Back in the day you'd win, tap your goalie, then head off the ice and maybe give a few high fives to kids leaning over the railing. Maybe do a stick salute at the end of the season.

As an organized "We're not doing that anymore" -- also fine. Maybe it would bring the team together, provide some solidarity and "us against them" mentality, and motivation. I'd love it if inside the locker room they had a big cardboard cutout of 500 Sabres fans with a big "BOOOOOOO!" speech bubble and for every home win they'd take add another fan sticker to the board, until they had a full arena.

I still think this team needs a line brawl in the very worst way. Though what they really need is an actual leader. 

29 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Oh it's stupid. It's more about the mentality of this than the actual salute. Jesus, I get cursed at work daily,I don't stop practicing medicine because of it. 

To be fair, they didn't stop practicing hockey because of the booing. They're still collecting checks. They just stopped turning back to the patient after a successful check-up on vitals and giving a Mentos the Freshmaker pose before leaving the room.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why do they like Donny so much anyway?

I know you dislike this sort of take, but, by all accounts, he is a really nice guy. Like, just a super guy.

Terrific personality for a youth development coach.

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

To be fair, they didn't stop practicing hockey because of the booing. They're still collecting checks. They just stopped turning back to the patient after a successful check-up on vitals and giving a Mentos the Freshmaker pose before leaving the room.

I chortled.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I know you dislike this sort of take, but, by all accounts, he is a really nice guy. Like, just a super guy.

Terrific personality for a youth development coach.

I like it. Because I think that's what it boils down to. He's helping to develop them, assisting their careers. In a no pressure, highly supportive environment that doesn't focus on winning and losing. It's perfect.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

My impression of the discussion isn't so much that those that are complaining are doing so because they so desperately need to see the stick salute; but rather the Sabres' reason for stopping it is childish. I forget who mentioned it up-thread, but I also recall that it was a PR move by the league after the lockout.

As for the players. who do they expect the fans to yell to get fired? The chant would be incredibly long and hard to coordinate if the fans listed out all the underperforming players on any given night, lol.

Stopping something that shouldn't have been started isn't childish. Hollow and insincere gestures make no sense. The stopping in doing something so inauthentic is the right thing to do. Don't get me wrong, fans have every right to voice their displeasure. This team shouldn't expect a torrent of kudos from the audience, especially for their home performances. But this too frequent post-game ritual of "stick salutes" is silly and stupid.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, JohnC said:

Stopping something that shouldn't have been started isn't childish. Hollow and insincere gestures make no sense. The stopping in doing something so inauthentic is the right thing to do. Don't get me wrong, fans have every right to voice their displeasure. This team shouldn't expect a torrent of kudos from the audience, especially for their home performances. But this too frequent post-game ritual of "stick salutes" is silly and stupid.

I think this is the definition of moving the goalposts. They weren't protesting the salute.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Says who? Someone had it right when they suggested it was a post lockout fan appreciation thing.

There is no defending this. The team leadership’s decision to lead the team in abandoning a fan appreciation gesture — in response to theiw feewings being huwt — is damning.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Decent point - but if they came out and said "we are not gonna do the stick salute because it is silly and when we looked into it, there is no real basis for the tradition" - that would be fine. But, stopping it as a way to "punish" the fans for expression their displeasure at an oft times subpar product is childish. 

To be clear - I am very meh on the whole thing; salute, don't salute ... just win, baby!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.