Sabres on 7-4 "run" in 2024 lose ground in playoff race

PASabreFan

Over the stretch of our 7-4 run, Detroit and Tampa have produced even better records. That is why we haven’t made up space. Obviously we won’t make it if the teams in playoff positions keep playing better and racking up more points than us. I’m not holding out a lot of hope. We are too far back with too little season left to play. But, the right approach is to focus on getting to real or DeLuca .500. We are 5 games below now.  It does not guarantee a playoff spot by any means, but if we get to real .500 we will separate ourselves from the bottom of the conference, we will pass 2-3 teams ahead of us and we will, most-likely enter the playoff conversation. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Didn't DG get an extension this year? 

The biggest flaw entering this season related to our goaltending situation. Is it better and staffed for the future with UPL and Levi in net? I would say so. If others say no, I understand their stance. Also, a big roster flaw related to our blueline unit. There are still needed upgrades but the addition of Clifton and  Ryan Johnson upgraded the unit, at least in my estimation. 

I have repeatedly stated that it is a mistake to give up on this season from making the playoffs standpoint. My take is clearly a minority view. 

I’ll be watching John.  Not giving up but I don’t see it happen for the reasons provided.  

The flaws are dotted throughout the roster.  Yes, DG was extended.   I am not sure he can get any more than what we have already seen from this group.   I much prefer going after Berube, Gallant, Brind’Amour, etc, go get the one Adams can work with.  

They can bring a winning coach into this organization and let him help shape the roster. This is an opportunity.  

Drill a well Terry   

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

He has nine goals in his past 42 games. Is his presence or absence really going to be a determining factor either way?

Why do we do this to our kids?

He's got 12 points on 17 games this year and has looked really good. Having him in the lineup gives us 3 legit scoring lines. Not that he's the lone driver on this... He just kind of completes the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

If Tage,Cozens ,Skinner and Power continue this bad there is no chance. If somehow they figure things out there's a chance.

Agree on Tage, Cozens and Power.....

But Skinner? He is giving you pretty much exactly what he did last year..and the year before.  He is playing minimal defense, not helping out in his own end,  but NOT giving the puck away in his own zone.  He is scoring at a 34 goal pace.  That is pretty much what I expect from him and at this point, if Everyone else listed was doing what is expected of them...what I need from Skinner given his skillset.

This team was as unprepared to start a season as any I have ever seen in my life. A serious organization would sack the coach and his entire staff after having done such a disgraceful and unprofessional job the second the season ends but there are no standards here except failing forever. Right now I would give anything to have Torts as our coach because he'd shut down the country club, hold people accountable and get results.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Agree on Tage, Cozens and Power.....

But Skinner? He is giving you pretty much exactly what he did last year..and the year before.  He is playing minimal defense, not helping out in his own end,  but NOT giving the puck away in his own zone.  He is scoring at a 34 goal pace.  That is pretty much what I expect from him and at this point, if Everyone else listed was doing what is expected of them...what I need from Skinner given his skillset.

The problem with Skinner is he plays by his own rules.  Teammates can say the right things "oh that's just Jeff no worries he's cool we got his back" but then you play Boston (or Vegas or Canucks this year) and get your ass handed to you because every single player plays by the same set of rules.  Accountability.  The smart players see it and resentment grows and yadda yadda here we are.  This is where I point to the lack of leadership - DG and Okposo.  Krueger sucked there's no doubt, but I'm telling ya he was on the right track with this one.  

So pick one:

- skinner matures/changes

- the new core works magic/ is so good they win in spite of this

- Sabres continue to suck like they always have with him on the team 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

I just heard a stat that Edmonton was perfect in January and did not gain any ground on Vancouver.  The canucks played 2 extra games, but that's pretty crazy.

That is almost unreal.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:07 PM, PASabreFan said:

ska... Not quite sure how to read your Doom and Gloom dig. But wouldn't missing the playoffs again, even narrowly, be reason for continued doom and renewed gloom for next year?

Man, I am really not up for another heroic run that fools people.

But I guess it's what they do. Start your term paper late, make it passable with an hour to spare and celebrate the C- with a beer.

If I wanted to be really cynical I'd say it's all by design. Do as little as possible to ensure the team is not a legit playoff team, then do as much as possible when it's too late to convince the customers you were legit if not for 1. 2. 3. and will be legit in the fall.

See also score two late goals to get back in it/lightly graze the goalie's helmet to start a mini melee.

We are suckers.

It ain't pre-meditated or intelligently designed to turn out this way, unfortunately. 

But the lack of organizational structure and accountability and roster-building urgency sure does seem to invite such mediocrity, innit? Which is maybe worse?

On 1/28/2024 at 8:37 AM, PASabreFan said:

This is what you try and tell people who say wait until Christmas or the All Star break to make judgments on the playoffs. You can't fall behind in the race and hope for a hot streak later on.

The Sabres have won 7 of 11 and fallen two points deeper in the hole. On Jan. 1 they were 7 points back with five teams to jump over. They still have five teams to overcome but are now 9 points out of a playoff spot.

If they play out the final 33 games at the same pace as the first 11 games of 2024, they will finish with 90 points. Not enough.

7-4 is hardly setting the world on fire. It's a 104 point season. So there's room for growth.

Apparently you're quoting me as I said we are on a 7-4 run. Which is correct. What I didn't say is we're "setting the world on fire". Why the hyperbole?

For those who wonder what came first: the defence or the saves?

(from the Buffalo News)

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nhl/sabres/upls-ascent-power-play-struggles-among-sabres-trends-to-watch-after-the-break/article_91265290-bf97-11ee-b2f3-33094822947d.html

1. Improved defense

Granato didn’t implement any changes to the Sabres’ 5-on-5 system this season. Instead, he and his assistant coaches have placed a greater emphasis on different areas of their game to improve their team defense. A healthier lineup, and fewer turnovers, have helped Buffalo allow the third-fewest goals in the NHL since Jan. 1. The Sabres’ 28.7 shots allowed per game during that span is the ninth-best mark in the league and, according to Natural Stat Trick, they’re sixth in shot quality against at 5-on-5.

2. No. 1 goalie

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has emerged as the Sabres’ No. 1 goalie since the holiday break. His .940 save percentage in nine starts since Dec. 30 ranks eighth in the NHL during that span. He’s also posted a 1.57 goals-against average, which is lower than everyone except Edmonton’s Stuart Skinner, and a 6-3 record. Luukkonen’s .942 save percentage at 5-on-5 is tied with Skinner for the second-best mark, trailing only Connor Hellebuyck of the Winnipeg Jets.

According to NHL’s Edge data, Luukkonen’s .896 save percentage on high-danger shots is above league average.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.