Eric Comrie called up, Devon Levi sent down

inkman

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As expected.  The Amerks play 3 games from 1/31 to 2/3.  Levi will be starting at least 2 of those games.  No benefit to having Levi sit during the NHL all-star break.

Yup. And Comrie had a baby in December. Gets to enjoy the bye week with his family. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why? 

First and foremost his NHL game isn't great. Second, he needs some more playing time.

The kid needs some work physically and mentally. His speech about how transcendent his 3 AHL games were to his NHL career showed me he isn't seeing the forest for the trees. 3 AHL games don't permanently change your NHL game. The fact that he thinks it did was a bit of a red flag for me. 

The sky is the limit for the kid. The best thing for the Sabres is to nail his progression so they get the most out of his peak as soon as possible. Hanging him out to dry behind a terrible defense because he is better than Comrie is the solution to bad coaching and bad mangement. But it isn't the best solution for taking a kid out of college and making him a tier 1 NHL starting goaltender. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Mango said:

First and foremost his NHL game isn't great. Second, he needs some more playing time.

The kid needs some work physically and mentally. His speech about how transcendent his 3 AHL games were to his NHL career showed me he isn't seeing the forest for the trees. 3 AHL games don't permanently change your NHL game. The fact that he thinks it did was a bit of a red flag for me. 

The sky is the limit for the kid. The best thing for the Sabres is to nail his progression so they get the most out of his peak as soon as possible. Hanging him out to dry behind a terrible defense because he is better than Comrie is the solution to bad coaching and bad mangement. But it isn't the best solution for taking a kid out of college and making him a tier 1 NHL starting goaltender. 

The way the AHL schedule lays out, few midweek games, lots on weekends, that Levi can play both. Comrie is now exempt from waivers because he cleared once before. There's no need to make Levi a permanent Amerk.

• Agree 1

With the playoffs out of reach and UPL playing pretty well, time to make Levi the starter in Rochester.  With 33 games left UPL will probably play 23 of them.  I have zero problem will letting Comrie play a few starts and Levi getting a spot start here and there.  However, I want to maximize how many games Levi plays the rest of the season and to accomplish that he needs to be w the Amerks.

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With the playoffs out of reach and UPL playing pretty well, time to make Levi the starter in Rochester.  With 33 games left UPL will probably play 23 of them.  I have zero problem will letting Comrie play a few starts and Levi getting a spot start here and there.  However, I want to maximize how many games Levi plays the rest of the season and to accomplish that he needs to be w the Amerks.

Levi should be playing games that are important and he’s much more likely to get that with Rochester. I hope he stays down there, too. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Why he went down wasn't PTR's Q.  Why he shouldn't be brought back up again at any point this season was the Q.

Levi can get games in the AHL on loan. He doesn't have to be sent down. Just as long as he's on the Amerks roster on trade deadline day.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Levi can get games in the AHL on loan. He doesn't have to be sent down. Just as long as he's on the Amerks roster on trade deadline day.

He can.  And he will be on the Amerks roster on deadline day (whether he's actually there or it's just a paper transaction remains to be seen).

Personally would probably have him taxiing back and forth getting a couple of days in Buffalo each week facing the tougher shooters and having access to better equipment, so he can get a game every 4-5 in Buffalo but having him in Ra-cha-cha the bulk of the time.  (Which will have everybody on the board mad.  😜 )

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Levi can help the Amerks win the Calder Cup, I think that benefits both orgs, Levi himself, and a number of prospects.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/28/2024 at 6:44 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Levi is in Rochester.  Granato said with a clear #1 (UPL), it's the best place for Levi and he will remain there unless "circumstances" change.

Took KA long enough to make the correct decision.  Geez! Why is so obvious to everyone who follows the Sabres, but not obvious to KA and his staff?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Took KA long enough to make the correct decision.  Geez! Why is so obvious to everyone who follows the Sabres, but not obvious to KA and his staff?

I’m never going to defend KA’s handling of the goalie situation the last few seasons, but the goalie reality he created for the team, however bungled that creation was, meant he needed to wait until a clear number one emerged this season before sending Levi down permanently. It didn’t help that both UPL and Levi were better alternatives than Comrie, otherwise I think Levi would have been sent down a while ago. Sucks that KA put the team in that situation to begin with. 

• Agree 1

The sad thing is Buffalo Sabres fan thinking the Sabres are resigning UPL. The Sabres aren’t paying $6 or $7 million long term for UPL which is going to be what him and his agent want. I don’t see that happening hence why Devon Levi is in Buffalo this season. Buffalo Sabres fans need to stop being fixated on Devon Levi and Rochester Americans. UPL it’s 99.9% he is leaving the Sabres like Linus Ullmark there both the same situation. I would trade UPL at trade deadline so the Sabres get something for him before he walks. The Sabres need wholesale changes to their top 6 forwards. Devon Levi and a veteran proven goalie will be here next season via trade most likely in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.