Trade Deadline: What Sabres likely to be moved?

sweetlou

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I heard @PASabreFan is on the trading block.  Kevyn offered him to Philly for Gritty, but Philly wants Adams to throw in a 7th round pick and Kevyn is being stubborn.

For realz though... I could see Jokijarju getting traded.

@PASabreFan has a NMTC, he wants to be here and turn this program around for Pegula and the family.  

• Haha (+1) 8

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I don't believe anyone gets moved.

KA is not trading any of the young players and nobody else has any value on the market.

With one exception...  beleive a western Canadian team will make a substantial offer for Savoie.    

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Savoie for the right return

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Vancouver had a season last year like the one the Sabres are having this year.  Their GM started to fix the roster last year after the New Year.  This is what he did to help repair his roster with a solid young core but needed defensive and goaltending help.

Last season's moves

1/30/23 Traded Bo Horvat to the NYI for Anthony Beauvilier, prospect Aatu Raty and a 1st in 2023.  Deadline moves out D Stillman (to us) and Schenn (for a 3rd) and Lazar (for a 4th). D Replaced with Hronek (from Det) plus a 4th for the NYI 1st and a 2nd.  Hronek had another year on his contract.

Offseason moves

Traded Tanner Pearson and a 3rd to Mon for veteran backup G Casey DeSmith (saving 1.5 mill in cap in the process).

Signed D Ian Cole (1 year 3 mill), D Carson Soucy (3yrs 9.75), C Theodor Blueger (1yr  1.9 mil), C Pius Suter (2yr 3.2 mill) 

In-Season moves

10/8/2023 - acquired Sam Lafferty (from Tor) for a 5th

11/30/2023 - Acquired Zadorov for and 3rd (2026) and a 5th 

When all was said and done, Van's GM turned over 2/3 of his D group, added an excellent backup goalie to pair with his stud young goalie, and added depth to his forward group, especially down the middle.

There is no reason that KA can't be a buyer and a seller during this trade deadline.  There are players with term we can bring in (like Greenway last year) that can make us better this season and in the future and we can start unloading some of the deadwood on the roster.

Trading Joki and VO are at the top of my list.  I might even trade Krebs.  I'm also taking offers on KO, EJ and Z.  Comrie, Jost, Bryson and Stillman are also available but I doubt we'll get any takers.  I'm also entertaining offers for Savoie, Kulich, Östlund, and Rosen if a top 4 D with term is coming back. (I'm only trading a max of 2 of those 4 prospects). 

I'm looking for 1 top 9 center and 2 top 4 D.    DG recently moved Greenway to center and I'm intrigued by the idea of him anchoring the 4th line next season.

You forget 1 major component, we have nowhere near a player of Elias Pettersson's caliber on this roster, some will argue Tage Thompson and maybe injuries are derailing his season but he's definitely not the same player he was last season so far.

14 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

You forget 1 major component, we have nowhere near a player of Elias Pettersson's caliber on this roster, some will argue Tage Thompson and maybe injuries are derailing his season but he's definitely not the same player he was last season so far.

Maybe, but the Sabres have much better talent depth after their top 3 forwards.  The Sabres are also younger overall.  

7 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Jokiharju, Rosén and a 2nd to Calgary for Tanev if he is willing to sign for two years at reasonable cap hit.

I can see us moving on from Krebs. McLeod from Devils is high on my wishlist.

And I think Sabres should be buyers, not sellers.

Keep a seat warm for Tanev on the IR, he spends a lot of time hurt

7 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Jokiharju, Rosén and a 2nd to Calgary for Tanev if he is willing to sign for two years at reasonable cap hit.

I can see us moving on from Krebs. McLeod from Devils is high on my wishlist.

And I think Sabres should be buyers, not sellers.

What?   (To the bold).  Calgary would take that for sure.  They would trade Tanev for the 2nd alone.  

8 hours ago, TheAud said:

Teams could have had Comrie. Jost, and Bryson for free so why would they have any value in a trade? They don’t.

If they were picked up on waivers they would have to be kept on their NHL roster. If they trade for them, they can waive them down to their AHL team until they’re needed.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4817378

Would this team work better next year?

No,

No one is paying the equivalent of a 1st, a 2nd, and an NHL player for 35-year-old (next season) Couture with 24 million cap hit (20 mill still owed to him) over the next 3 years.  He also has been on IR all this season.  I might give a 2nd in 2025 and a 4th in 2026 if he is proven healthy and SJ eats 50% of his contract.  Tanev is also 34 and has been injured on and off.  

I don't think UFAs are the way to go to fix our roster holes.  KA is going to have to make a couple of hockey type trades.  Maybe even someone like Cozens for a top 4 D with term plus.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No,

No one is paying the equivalent of a 1st, a 2nd, and an NHL player for 35-year-old (next season) Couture with 24 million cap hit (20 mill still owed to him) over the next 3 years.  He also has been on IR all this season.  I might give a 2nd in 2025 and a 4th in 2026 if he is proven healthy and SJ eats 50% of his contract.  Tanev is also 34 and has been injured on and off.  

I don't think UFAs are the way to go to fix our roster holes.  KA is going to have to make a couple of hockey type trades.  Maybe even someone like Cozens for a top 4 D with term plus.

No thanks, I have zero interest in playing that game again.

Sign a UFA like Tanev or try to coerce Pesce if he doesn't re-up

The last thing I'm doing is trading a young NHL forward who will inevitably blow up wherever he goes for a lesser Dman and change. 

8 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

The delusion is that we could get Markstrom for a trash defensemen and a 2nd round pick

That coupled with fact the top 9 are exactly the same.  The only substitution is Kulich in for Greenway, with Benson.  Because the top nine has been so spectacular all season. So, replace someone with defensive responsibility with another version of Olofsson.  Check.  

I’m on board with a big name shake up. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

The delusion is that we could get Markstrom for a trash defensemen and a 2nd round pick

I've seen Markstrom be both valuable and cheap through the year due to his contract in combination with Wolf in the AHL

7 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

That coupled with fact the top 9 are exactly the same.  The only substitution is Kulich in for Greenway, with Benson.  Because the top nine has been so spectacular all season. So, replace someone with defensive responsibility with another version of Olofsson.  Check.  

I’m on board with a big name shake up. 

The Top 9 was fine last year and has struggled this season.. Greenway is just down a line; I didn't delete him from existence lol. Finding defensive wingers who can also fit the Top 9 isn't exactly an easy task; to be honest suggestions would be welcome since I'm blanking on names.

I have zero interest in trading a bigger name; it hasn't worked in the cases of ROR, Eichel and even Reinhart in a sense and frankly I don't see any scenario in which we win the trade.

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I've seen Markstrom be both valuable and cheap through the year due to his contract in combination with Wolf in the AHL

The Top 9 was fine last year and has struggled this season.. Greenway is just down a line; I didn't delete him from existence lol. Finding defensive wingers who can also fit the Top 9 isn't exactly an easy task; to be honest suggestions would be welcome since I'm blanking on names.

I have zero interest in trading a bigger name; it hasn't worked in the cases of ROR, Eichel and even Reinhart in a sense and frankly I don't see any scenario in which we win the trade.

This isn't EA sports, no free agent is coming here without being overpaid, we keep getting cast of head coaches like Krueger/Granato types instead of real ones like Berube/Gallant and we aren't getting teams best players for our scrubs and 2nd round picks. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

If they were picked up on waivers they would have to be kept on their NHL roster. If they trade for them, they can waive them down to their AHL team until they’re needed.

This seems far fetched. Trade assets for a guy in order to waive him? 

Make a trade to a team at or near a rebuild. 

Just spit balling, but how bout something like Cozens, a 1st for Braydon Point. Might take more or less I'm not a trade expert. 

I feel a rebuild coming for Tampa. Let's get someone with playoff experience who's always reliable 

Adams has the necessary tools 

32 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

Make a trade to a team at or near a rebuild. 

Just spit balling, but how bout something like Cozens, a 1st for Braydon Point. Might take more or less I'm not a trade expert. 

I feel a rebuild coming for Tampa. Let's get someone with playoff experience who's always reliable 

Adams has the necessary tools 

I don't think Tampa Bay would have any interest in this deal imo, he is one of their best 2 way forwards and they're vying for the playoffs. Dylan Cozens would be a massive downgrade just to save a few million bucks.

Probably look to trade with a team ready to tear it down is the more realistic option.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I don't think Tampa Bay would have any interest in this deal imo, he is one of their best 2 way forwards and they're vying for the playoffs. Dylan Cozens would be a massive downgrade just to save a few million bucks.

Probably look to trade with a team ready to tear it down is the more realistic option.

Boone Jenner 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

There is an underrated name there, I love his game and he's been rumored in trades. I'd love Jenner on the Sabres for sure!

The Sabres could sure use some guys like this. Looks like he'd beat the piss out of anyone who even looks at him sideways 

i.png

• Agree 1

This will not happen, but if the Sabres were serious about turning the corner they would take on salaries at the deadline as well as trading away their pending UFAs. Very few top contenders have the cap space to make a big deadline deal without unloading a contract or two first (or at the same time). I don't mean long term dud deals. They might be pending UFAs as well. Salary juggling. But that is not the Sabres.  

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.