Tage Thompson- What the h*** happened?!?!

JoeSchmoe

On 2/17/2024 at 11:33 AM, Pimlach said:

What I see different with Thompson this year is speed.   Last season he played faster and was much stronger on his stick too.  He was different, more decisive, determined, and driven.  Injuries to him and line mates are only a part of it.  He needs to reduce the dangling and lateral moves and drive faster and harder to the net more often.  He needs to play like he is bigger and stronger than the competition, because he is.  

I am going to say this AGAIN, repeating what I said right out of the gate.   They wasted the camp and preseason.  They looked at all their coveted prospects for too long and did not drill the vets and NHL players enough.  Contrast this to Florida and the things that Maurice recently said.   The Panther players all worked harder in camp than the coaches were going to work them.  They came in with a mission.   Our guys  coasted while Adams and Granato looked at every dam draft pick and prospect ad nauseum.  Then they ran a 3 man goalie tryout that extended into the first 2 months of the season.  Add the injuries and the slow starts and we were toast right out of the gate.  

Worse, they put in a "defensive aspect" to the "system" and that confused them and that killed what they were good at.  They should have been practicing the system changes instead of looking at 19/20 year old kids.  

The team was completely unprepared to make a playoff run.  The FO and the coaches and the players all talked about playoffs but did NOTHING to enable it to happen.   Adams in particular sat on a young and flawed roster with such  arrogance, as if his prospects are all difference makers.  We saw glimpses of  Savoie, Kulich and Rosen in the NHL - none of them are ready and I don't expect them to be ready next year either.   Adams needs to wake up and improve the NHL roster and make these kids beat out a real NHL player to get to Buffalo.  

Back to Thompson - he plays parts of games at a decent speed, if he does not score right away he reverts to floating.  Playing with KO and Skinner is not helping him.  Given the line he is on, I would like to see him play faster and harder and actually hog the dam puck more.  Drive to the net, not away from it.  Look at the video Tage, drive to the net and get to the slot, not away from it.  

Grrr. 

Yeh looks like since his wife birthed he forgot how to do squats... way too light on his skates

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2024 at 6:12 AM, #freejame said:

I think he’s probably just a one-dimensional player. It took him years to figure out how to play his game and succeed in the NHL. It worked for a few years. Now teams have caught on and he can’t adjust. He’s not a player with a bag of tricks. He holds the same card up his sleeve every game and teams know it. 

I think he could thrive if healthy and on a better line.  Tuch is fine but Skinner is lost and not doing anything.  

I am still not sure that he isn't better at wing if he played with Mitts at center.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I think Tage has looked much better of late. He has even played a little more of a physical game.

It's just weird now that he just can't hit the net. I wonder if it is still his wrist.

He is shooting just as much as he did the last 2 seasons combined, just his shooting percentage the last 2 seasons was almost 50% higher than it is this year.  If his shooting percentage was equal to the previous 2 years, he'd be on pace for about 45 goals this year.  Hope it IS the wrist, and that is something that can get better.

• Like (+1) 1

I shouldn’t pick on him after a win but I will.

I don’t think he contributed a thing to this win. Over handling the puck to lose possession, penalties, losing draws and missing a breakaway chance.

He will get out of this funk sometime but he just is not effective. He had a few shifts and shots that created chances but he is just not TNT. Do better!

End of rant.

• Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 12:14 PM, SwampD said:

I think Tage has looked much better of late. He has even played a little more of a physical game.

It's just weird now that he just can't hit the net. I wonder if it is still his wrist.

He has a wrist injury. Sometimes that injury can heal enough that you can play, but it can impact production big time from scorers.

Who else had a wrist injury that he played through? Look 1.5 hours north to Austin Matthews.

2 seasons before his wrist injury: 41 goals in 52 games (65 goal pace per 82)

1 season before his wrist injury:  60 goals in 73 games (67 goal per 82 pace).

Year he played through the wrist injury: 40 goals in 74 games (44 goal per 82 pace)

Year after his wrist injury: 53 goals in 58 games (75 goal pace)

So, a guy who is a big time scorer averaged 66 goals per 82 games without a wrist injury....the season he plays through a wrist injury his goal production drops 33% the season he has the injury....then when he gets a full year off his production goes back up to (and beyond) what it was before the injury.

Now Tage...

2 seasons before his wrist injury: 38 goals in 78 games (40 goal pace)

1 season before his wrist injury: 47 goals in 78 games (almost a 50 goal pace)

year of his wrist injury (this year) 18 goals in 50 games (30 goal pace)

With Tage, a guy who is a big time scorer averaged 45 goals per 82 games without a wrist injury...the season he plays through it his goal production drops 33% the season he has the injury...With a full season off to heal his wrist, AND in his prime at 27 years of age, is there a chance he exceeds is prior production? Maybe.

The naysayers will say no...but I like to bring this up as a possible positive.  Tage isn't Matthews, but the similarities in their injury, in how it impacts production at the same time and the same point...very similar.   Something to think about.

I looked into one other things....Matthews shooting percentage those 2 seasons before his wrist injury was 17.7. It went down to 12.2 the year of his injury (5.5 points lower).  He took about the same number of shots per game (4.4 vs 4.6), just his percentage was down.

Tage's shooting percentage the 2 years before his wrist injury this year was 15.5. It is down to 10.0 this year....(5.5 points lower). He has taken about the same number of shots per game (3.5 vs 3.6) but his percentage is just down.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/21/2024 at 8:59 PM, French Collection said:

I shouldn’t pick on him after a win but I will.

I don’t think he contributed a thing to this win. Over handling the puck to lose possession, penalties, losing draws and missing a breakaway chance.

He will get out of this funk sometime but he just is not effective. He had a few shifts and shots that created chances but he is just not TNT. Do better!

End of rant.

I got the game tying goal late in the 3rd.  He drew the penalty that led to the game winning goal.   That was just in the last 5 minutes.  

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

He has a wrist injury. Sometimes that injury can heal enough that you can play, but it can impact production big time from scorers.

Who else had a wrist injury that he played through? Look 1.5 hours north to Austin Matthews.

2 seasons before his wrist injury: 41 goals in 52 games (65 goal pace per 82)

1 season before his wrist injury:  60 goals in 73 games (67 goal per 82 pace).

Year he played through the wrist injury: 40 goals in 74 games (44 goal per 82 pace)

Year after his wrist injury: 53 goals in 58 games (75 goal pace)

So, a guy who is a big time scorer averaged 66 goals per 82 games without a wrist injury....the season he plays through a wrist injury his goal production drops 33% the season he has the injury....then when he gets a full year off his production goes back up to (and beyond) what it was before the injury.

Now Tage...

2 seasons before his wrist injury: 38 goals in 78 games (40 goal pace)

1 season before his wrist injury: 47 goals in 78 games (almost a 50 goal pace)

year of his wrist injury (this year) 18 goals in 50 games (30 goal pace)

With Tage, a guy who is a big time scorer averaged 45 goals per 82 games without a wrist injury...the season he plays through it his goal production drops 33% the season he has the injury...With a full season off to heal his wrist, AND in his prime at 27 years of age, is there a chance he exceeds is prior production? Maybe.

The naysayers will say no...but I like to bring this up as a possible positive.  Tage isn't Matthews, but the similarities in their injury, in how it impacts production at the same time and the same point...very similar.   Something to think about.

I looked into one other things....Matthews shooting percentage those 2 seasons before his wrist injury was 17.7. It went down to 12.2 the year of his injury (5.5 points lower).  He took about the same number of shots per game (4.4 vs 4.6), just his percentage was down.

Tage's shooting percentage the 2 years before his wrist injury this year was 15.5. It is down to 10.0 this year....(5.5 points lower). He has taken about the same number of shots per game (3.5 vs 3.6) but his percentage is just down.

He doesn't skate, avoids contact and coughs up the puck quite a bit. Shooting is not everything.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I got the game tying goal late in the 3rd.  He drew the penalty that led to the game winning goal.   That was just in the last 5 minutes.  

Are you talking about the Habs game?

He got a secondary assist on Skinner’s goal, just carried it across the blue line and dropped it to Cozens. The game winner was a shorty by Tuch.

18 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

He doesn't skate, avoids contact and coughs up the puck quite a bit. Shooting is not everything.

My point was comparing him this year to last year (and the year before) with reference to what Matthews was/did.  If he doesn't skate (not sure what you mean by that, I'm not sure I'd agree with what you might me) and avoids contact..well, that was/is the same type of player he always has been. He is getting the same number and quality of offensive chances this year compared to the last 2.  The difference is...the shots aren't going it (just like Matthews, with the wrist injury).

36 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I agree with this, but he has looked a bit better lately.

I still think he's got bad wheels this year.  I think with a good offseason he will be good to go next season.

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I hope so, he’s got six more years on his deal.

Early on he got a cut on his foot in a game early in the season.  He also had a wrist injury in the same game (vs. Bruins).  The wrist injury got him out of the game but I have to wonder if the cut on his foot isn't fully healed.

47 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Early on he got a cut on his foot in a game early in the season.  He also had a wrist injury in the same game (vs. Bruins).  The wrist injury got him out of the game but I have to wonder if the cut on his foot isn't fully healed.

Not being able to skate 100% would explain some of the extra dangling. Lately he has been going more north-south.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the NHL Network Boyle did a thing in the Sabres. 

Talked about the Byram pickup and how important it was.

Talked about UPL really coming into his own.

Said he is close with Thompson and that Tage has had a hand/wrist issue all year that has effected his shooting and stick handling.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/14/2024 at 10:13 PM, Flashsabre said:

On the NHL Network Boyle did a thing in the Sabres. 

Talked about the Byram pickup and how important it was.

Talked about UPL really coming into his own.

Said he is close with Thompson and that Tage has had a hand/wrist issue all year that has effected his shooting and stick handling.

Has it effected his decision-making as well, cuz his sucks. He wouldn't have to use his wrist as much if he just used his line mates.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Has it effected his decision-making as well, cuz his sucks. He wouldn't have to use his wrist as much if he just used his line mates.

That’s the one thing about Tage, he’s not really going to cover for himself for his lack of goal scoring with assists: he’s got more of a Matthews output, the Kanye “triple double No assists” type demeanour: I think he has 19 assists this year. Regardless of the team needing 1C production he himself does fine by his contract by providing good 2C production: issue is he’s not even there 

I assume with health it’s a no brainer tho 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

I think Thompson could be dominant with 2 line mates who were actually top line players. Skinner should not be in our top 6, he's literally bad at everything with some scoring every now and again. Tuch is a decent player but i don't think he would be on most teams top line. I think if healthy Quinn with Thompson and a top 6 forward free agent or trade. Maybe LW Peterka/C Thompson and RW Quinn on line 1 and on line 2 LW Benson, C Cozens and RW Tuch. I hope Kulich finds his game and can contribute next season on the bottom 2, Östlund gets his feet wet in Rochester, Savoie in Rochester or both our 1st round pick and Savoie gets dealt for a top 6 forward, I'm not even sure who's available right now but Thompson definitely has skill, I just wished we had a coach who could coach him up to being that dominant player from here on out because meatballs is not that guy.

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I think Tage can be a dominant force but he has to play stronger and smarter.  He wants to be fed, he still plays like a winger.  

I expect changes but next season - I want the top 9 to look something like this

Benson - TT - Tuch

JPP - Cozens - Quinn 

Skinner - Krebs - Greenway