WJC 2023 Tourney Updates and Sabres Notes

LGR4GM

Leonard just bulled his way past Östlund to pretty much end it and now the empty net does, 

A lot of players on this U.S. squad will be solid NHLers. 

Overall Östlund was good in this tournament but he's really small and he will struggle to make it to the NHL imo. Kulich was also very good and with his shot I give him a better chance. Neither one is really any different than what we already have though. 

• Like (+1) 2

Jonathan Lekkerimaki has been named MVP of the 2024 World Junior Championship.

The IIHF has also announced its Directorate Award winners:
Best Goalie---Hugo Havelid (SWE)
Best Defender---Axel Sandin Pellikka (SWE)
Best Forward---Cutter Gauthier (USA)

The All-Star Team has been selected by media as follows:
Goal: Hugo Havelid (SWE)
Defence: Lane Hutson (USA), Theo Lindstein (SWE) 
Forward: Cutter Gauthier (USA), Jiri Kulich (CZE), Jonathan Lekkerimaki (SWE)

Leading scorers are:
Goals--Jiri Kulich (CZE), Jonathan Lekkerimaki (SWE), Gavin Brindley (USA)--6
Assists--Cutter Gauthier (USA), Matyas Melovsky (CZE)--10
Points--Jiri Kulich (CZE), Cutter Gauthier (USA)--12

• Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Leonard just bulled his way past Östlund to pretty much end it and now the empty net does, 

A lot of players on this U.S. squad will be solid NHLers. 

Overall Östlund was good in this tournament but he's really small and he will struggle to make it to the NHL imo. Kulich was also very good and with his shot I give him a better chance. Neither one is really any different than what we already have though. 

This points to a core issue. Or a couple. We seem to be drafting players who don’t play with strong physicality. I don’t mean by that hard checking, necessarily, or fighting, but just general play strength. Defending and fending off a player with the puck, or being strong with the puck, and not allowing it to be taken away, or not allowing one self to be pushed off out of a play very easily. 

Or one dimensional players. Good stick handler. Or Good shot maker. Or Good passer. Or Good skater. Or Good pesty player in the corners. Or strong with the puck and strong defending. But, in spite of drafting very high oh these many years, (maybe we’ve been too high while drafting, lol), we rarely get one with multiple of those skills. Dahlin. Quinn seems to be multi talented in that regard. Casey is coming along with stick handling to go with his speed. I do love a lot of our young talent. But just waiting to see - while several become top tier talents - and multi-talented? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

This points to a core issue. Or a couple. We seem to be drafting players who don’t play with strong physicality. I don’t mean by that hard checking, necessarily, or fighting, but just general play strength. Defending and fending off a player with the puck, or being strong with the puck, and not allowing it to be taken away, or not allowing one self to be pushed off out of a play very easily. 

Or one dimensional players. Good stick handler. Or Good shot maker. Or Good passer. Or Good skater. Or Good pesty player in the corners. Or strong with the puck and strong defending. But, in spite of drafting very high oh these many years, (maybe we’ve been too high while drafting, lol), we rarely get one with multiple of those skills. Dahlin. Quinn seems to be multi talented in that regard. Casey is coming along with stick handling to go with his speed. I do love a lot of our young talent. But just waiting to see - while several become top tier talents - and multi-talented? 

Hmm.  Look at how quickly Cozens, Peterka and Quinn have emerged as NHL players.  They play strong physically, for their age at least, and they all have some size to grow on.  

The next group Kulich (19), Rosen (20), Östlund (19), Savoie (19) and Benson (18) are all smaller. 

Benson is already an NHL player.  He will be one of those 5'9" guys that plays much bigger.  

It will be interesting to see what they become someday and where they end up. 

Kulich impresses me with his leadership.  He also looks bigger than the 5'11" & 172 lbs listed in Hockey DB too.  

Edited by Pimlach

I think Sabres had great prospects in the wjc. None of them are ready players to take a place in the NHL this season or the next. But we already have a lot of prospects and young players so there is no need to take shortcuts in their development. What we need is players that can show examples how to play a winning hockey. Either by trading/signing or by developing.

I liked Östlund the most, I hear you saying he looks soft and I agree, but muscles are easier to get than the hockey IQ of his.

Skrbak will fill a theird pair spot on defense next to Samuelsson  some day. Wahlberg needs to get better in all areas, but most urgent is the skating, then he might get a try...

Kulich did a great tournament also, unfortunately I get wibes of him beeing a one trick Pony. But his shot is amazing and he will become an NHL:er. I think he will replace Skinner in a couple of years (My guess is that Skinners last two years are bought out).

Savoie is a players with amazing talent and speed, but he is the one of these five that might someday become NHL :ers that I have hardest to see on the team. I do not know where to put him in the line-up..

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hmm.  Look at how quickly Cozens, Peterka and Quinn have emerged as NHL players.  They play strong physically, for their age at least, and they all have some size to grow on.  

The next group Kulich (20), Rosen (20), Östlund (19), Savoie (19) and Benson (18) are all smaller. 

Benson is already an NHL player.  He will be one of those 5'9" guys that plays much bigger.  

Kulich impresses me with his leadership.  He also looks bigger than the 5'11" & 172 lbs listed in Hockey DB too.  

Use elite prospects for height and weight, they get updated more frequently. Kulich is 6'1" 185lbs. And Benson is 5'10" 170lbs

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I see @SDS gave you the old eye roll but you're not all wrong. There's quite a few people here that have commented on how we have too many of the same guy and too many small fast guys and not enough tougher two way guys. It's an obvious fact. There also aren't enough D men in the system. We've reached on some lower picks and if any of them develop that's fine but now that Johnson is (sort of) on the roster there's nothing in the pipeline pressing to come through on D. It's a problem. 

Even if a Savoie (as an example) is worthy, there's no spot for him. We already have that guy. I guess you can say Kulich bumps Olofsson off the roster next year (maybe) but so what? Won't change a thing. 

No hockey tonight and so I'm watching Shorsey. "One top scoring line surrounded by tough natives, never lose again"  Dumb, probably racist, but not all wrong. 

"The kids don't hate to lose" . There is wisdom there too. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He looked bigger at that level. He won't look bigger in the NHL. 

More problematic is Östlund, for all his skill, looked smaller. He is a true lightweight. I don't see him surviving. 

Two years running we had a smaller skilled forward drop because of their size and so we grabbed him. We can't do that again even if it happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I see @SDS gave you the old eye roll but you're not all wrong. There's quite a few people here that have commented on how we have too many of the same guy and too many small fast guys and not enough tougher two way guys. It's an obvious fact. There also aren't enough D men in the system. We've reached on some lower picks and if any of them develop that's fine but now that Johnson is (sort of) on the roster there's nothing in the pipeline pressing to come through on D. It's a problem. 

Even if a Savoie (as an example) is worthy, there's no spot for him. We already have that guy. I guess you can say Kulich bumps Olofsson off the roster next year (maybe) but so what? Won't change a thing. 

No hockey tonight and so I'm watching Shorsey. "One top scoring line surrounded by tough natives, never lose again"  Dumb, probably racist, but not all wrong. 

"The kids don't hate to lose" . There is wisdom there too. 

"tough natives is redundant"

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

There also aren't enough D men in the system.

I have said this often the last few years, but it’s changing fast.  In fact our top D prospect, Ryan Johnson, is already in the NHL.  Novikov is possibly our best D in Rochester.  After those two, we have another 3 good to excellent prospects in Lindgren, Komarov and Strbak.  Novikov may make the Sabres as early as next season.  Lindgren and Komarov are both going to be in Rochester next season.  Strbak was a rock for Slovakia at the World Jrs and he is doing well at MSU.  He could be forcing  his way up the pipeline sooner than later.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have said this often the last few years, but it’s changing fast.  In fact our top D prospect, Ryan Johnson, is already in the NHL.  Novikov is possibly our best D in Rochester.  After those two, we have another 3 good to excellent prospects in Lindgren, Komarov and Strbak.  Novikov may make the Sabres as early as next season.  Lindgren and Komarov are both going to be in Rochester next season.  Strbak was a rock for Slovakia at the World Jrs and he is doing well at MSU.  He could be forcing  his way up the pipeline sooner than later.

McCarthy could also someday be a bottom pairing D. Still years away, but is playing as an 18 year-old for Boston U.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I like the idea, but I think you may be jumping the gun and over valuing these prospects and their timelines. We shall see in time.  

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He looked bigger at that level. He won't look bigger in the NHL. 

More problematic is Östlund, for all his skill, looked smaller. He is a true lightweight. I don't see him surviving. 

Two years running we had a smaller skilled forward drop because of their size and so we grabbed him. We can't do that again even if it happens. 

Actually Kulich is bigger than I first quoted. 

He is up to 6’1” 185 lbs. And he looks pretty stout physically at only 19.  Certainly big enough.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I like the idea, but I think you may be jumping the gun and over valuing these prospects and their timelines. We shall see in time.  

What timeline issues?  Komarov and Lindgren will be 20 before next season and Komarov is already signed to his ELC.  I don't see any reason that either guy would return to Jrs for an overage season.  Once in Rochester, we'll get a better feeling for their future.  Strbak played nearly 24 minutes a game for the Slovak team and was, by all accounts, a rock for them.  I can see him returning to MSU for a 2nd season, but after that, KA will get him to Rochester.  Also, don't forget that Rochester has a much older D group.  Novikov is the youngest D currently in Rochester by 5 years.  Bryson, Clague, Stillman, Cecconi, and Davies are all on expiring contracts.  

As to Novikov, he is 3rd among Amerks D in pts with 11 and the D leader in +/- with +4.  This is also his 3rd pro season (2 in the KHL ) and will be 21 in July.  He is also huge at 6'4 209.  Honestly, I would be surprised if he doesn't make a run at a job with the Sabres in the fall.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What timeline issues?  Komarov and Lindgren will be 20 before next season and Komarov is already signed to his ELC.  I don't see any reason that either guy would return to Jrs for an overage season.  Once in Rochester, we'll get a better feeling for their future.  Strbak played nearly 24 minutes a game for the Slovak team and was, by all accounts, a rock for them.  I can see him returning to MSU for a 2nd season, but after that, KA will get him to Rochester.  Also, don't forget that Rochester has a much older D group.  Novikov is the youngest D currently in Rochester by 5 years.  Bryson, Clague, Stillman, Cecconi, and Davies are all on expiring contracts.  

As to Novikov, he is 3rd among Amerks D in pts with 11 and the D leader in +/- with +4.  This is also his 3rd pro season (2 in the KHL ) and will be 21 in July.  He is also huge at 6'4 209.  Honestly, I would be surprised if he doesn't make a run at a job with the Sabres in the fall.  

I'm sorry but I just won't get excited about AHL or KHL prospects until I see them play in the NHL. I kept hearing about how good Rosen looked in Rochester. With the Sabres I thought he was far from ready and looked like a never be ready at this point. I've heard this prospect talk far too many times. If some of these guys make it great, problem solved, but I'm not counting them until they hatch. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/6/2024 at 12:52 AM, Flashsabre said:

Östlund did not look soft. He won many board battles against bigger stronger players and didn’t back down.

He needs to put on weight and muscle but he is no different physically then Ago was for Finland at that age.

You are absolutely right about Aho! He was not big either. So if Östlund can become an Aho, we will be fine!

But I doubt he is at the same compete level as Aho, he seems more like a Teräväinen, but that isn't bad either.

On 1/5/2024 at 4:28 PM, Pimlach said:

The next group Kulich (19), Rosen (20), Östlund (19), Savoie (19) and Benson (18) are all smaller. 

I believe there reports that Kulich had added 15 lbs of muscle this off season? I think he is in the 185 range if I recall correctly. Based on his own words as I recall. That is the kind of thing we need to see from all these young players. 

Agree on and I like that JJP-Cozens-Quinn line a lot with a lot of potential but they still do need to get stronger. They play hard for sure but they are not strong in the “top tier NHL cup contender team strong.” Endurance, general play strength all should come - if they keep working. Cozens needs to go around 200-205. But it’s not at the level it needs to be to be contenders. Then there is Power who needs to add more than the 3 lbs of muscle he’s added over the past two years. Dude should be 220 at least by now and by the time he’s 23-24 he should be a 225-230 lb beast who dominates skaters entering the zone with length and strength and enhances his skill set. Benson plays very tough. Really good for a rookie. But he’s not NHL strong yet - to the point he can be a top tier forward on a Cup contender. Not saying he should be. That’s the hope for all these players but it’s still hope at this point. Even Tage could be stronger physically and be an even bigger force. The real question is - is the player development team in the org really pushing these guys as they should to get stronger and tougher (not talking checking or fighting - though having one intimidator on the team would be useful every now and then). 

And I agree it still needs time to see these players develop further and that’s the hope. They show flashes but still need to be a tougher group in play strength. Too many games have seen soft play. 

I say all that but do think the deepest issue is coaching. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.